The Ted Barton Appreciation Society

Frida80

I adore this man so much. Having him at Autumn Classic was just splendid. I watched the entire thing just because I love hearing his take on the skaters. He really is so fond of them and enjoys watching skaters grow up, mature and progress. He really is a jem.

barbarafan

The only thing that would improve Ted would be if he could have 48hr days...Then he could work on talent developement as well.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm floored that Ted runs literally a one-person show at these Junior Grand Prix events - the filming and editing too?!? Impressive.
I've heard Ted credit his "production crew" by name quite regularly during the JGP broadcasts.

Check out his latest tweets with clips on the production setup in Slovenia: https://twitter.com/TedBarton7

"Two wonderful JGP Camerman I get to work with. Austin Boylen on the left and Tim O’Laughlin on the right. Great guys and super Camerman and editors." https://twitter.com/TedBarton7/status/1047014918845861889
"Meet the team. Sam, Tom, Austin and Tim." https://twitter.com/TedBarton7/status/1047166389541392385

ETA - trivia: I believe "Tom" is Tom Wehrle whose sister, Amber, was a U.S. national level pair skater who married her partner, Nick Kole. :)

Last edited:

nimi

Jackie interviews Ted on this week's Icetalk

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1103665867471179776
LISTEN NOW!! On the latest @IceTalkPodcast, I talk to @akrasnozhon before #WorldJFigure + I chat w @TedBarton7 about how he convinced @ISU_Figure to stream JGPs, who his fave interviews are + lots more
Apple http://bit.ly/icetalk2
Spotify http://bit.ly/icetalkspotify
Ted's portion of the episode begins after the 20 min mark. Besides the usual JGP stuff, Jackie asks Ted about his international skating career in the 70s and there's some talk about IJS and tech panels etc.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Apart from Alyssa Liu's excellent international debut on the Junior Grand Prix Series, the highlight for me this week was Ted's very special interview with Harshita Rawtani of India.

His commentary on her performances was considered, constructive, and encouraging.

It was great that the ISU team in Lake Placid went out of their way to interview the youngster, allowing fans to connect with and understand her passion for the sport.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There is just so much for me to enjoy about Ted's commentary but one thing I love is he announces the music. I am not as well versed in music as many on this forum, so a big thank you from me.

A note here and not taking anything away from him and the amazing work he does- he’s just reading from the ISU bios (available to everyone), that are also posted on the screen prior to the performance. There have been times when he realizes after the skate that the music was not what was listed.

all_empty

A note here and not taking anything away from him and the amazing work he does- he’s just reading from the ISU bios (available to everyone), that are also posted on the screen prior to the performance. There have been times when he realizes after the skate that the music was not what was listed.

Yeah, it's always amusing when he announces ballet music for a skater is wearing a pleather unitard on center ice LOL.

He and the team do a fantastic job.

I was terrified of getting sick when I was covering the Grand Prix because if you get sick you are screwed -- and traveling to different time zones week to week on airplanes and ice rinks = not exactly the healthiest environments.

It's nice that he isn't burdened with having to do real-time play-by-play during the JGP. I like how he will bring up a skater's posture or musicality even if the replays are only showing jumps and spins.

Tinami Amori

I think Ted Barton has a very pleasant manner of speaking and gives an atmosphere for "something positive" for every skater.

But! if "finer filters of rhetoric" are applied, he is not impartial in favor of "north american skaters" or those who made a "bow towards the West", and more critical of Russians especially the ones from Tutberdize's group.

He is clever, it is hard to "pin point him"... but there is plenty of it, just very cleverly hidden.....;)

Tinami Amori

:rofl: :rofl:

I just can’t.
You "can't what"? hold your urine? you're a "russian haters" as far as i am concerned after reading your posts for over a decade. I don't have to prove to you anything. many russians watch Ted Barton, and i read many many comments on the russian sites/chats/forums. He is bias.

:D If i was black and said his comment are "racist'...... it would be a quite a different reactions. it's just that "russians" are not a "protected minority group" in North American view. We don't need protections. but we will point out injustice.

barbarafan

I think Ted Barton has a very pleasant manner of speaking and gives an atmosphere for "something positive" for every skater.

But! if "finer filters of rhetoric" are applied, he is not impartial in favor of "north american skaters" or those who made a "bow towards the West", and more critical of Russians especially the ones from Tutberdize's group.

He is clever, it is hard to "pin point him"... but there is plenty of it, just very cleverly hidden.....;)
What an amazing imagination you have.....you should write supernatural books

Tinami Amori

What an amazing imagination you have.....you should write supernatural books
oh, yes. me....... and over half a million russian subscribers to other figure skating forums...... who think the same... i am just informing..... we don't need your approval to take next steps..... :D

puglover

What... I thought last year he was accused of almost 'fan girling" Eteri and was criticized for that and how slow ball his questions to her were. He constantly mentions the superior skating skills of Russian skaters. If he is, in fact, more critical to Tutbridize's I would like to see examples. He is speaking English - it is my first language - and I can think of no examples of what you are alluding and I think you are most unfair.

zebraswan

Did you not see the interview he did with Eteri where he was fawning all over her? Your paranoia gets worse by the day, Tinami. I won't laugh, it's really quite sad. You need to reach out to a mental health professional.

And really, "half a million Russian subscribers" are fluent enough in English to understand him and they ALL came to a consensus that Ted Barton is anti-Russian? You remind me of someone quite well known who embellishes his stories a lot, and doubles down whenever someone challenges him like a petulant child. I don't think I need to name names.

SkateFanBerlin

Changing the subject. Yesterday Ted couldn't hide his frustration about Andrew T. "I've been saying the same thing for 3 years" He described Andrew as going numb in competition. I think he means being out of contact with your body/technique when stressed - i.e. falling on a 3Loop. Ted apologized profusely when he realized he might have been seen as criticizing someone.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Changing the subject. Yesterday Ted couldn't hide his frustration about Andrew T. "I've been saying the same thing for 3 years" He described Andrew as going numb in competition. I think he means being out of contact with your body/technique when stressed - i.e. falling on a 3Loop. Ted apologized profusely when he realized he might have been seen as criticizing someone.

I understand where that frustration comes from.

Especially when Barton sees a skater as talented as Torgashev, unable to put it together when it counts.

Some people are naturally born competitors. Others learn as a trial by fire.

clairecloutier

One thing I find interesting is that Barton tends to not mention any past accomplishments for skaters when introducing them. For example, today he introduced Khudaiberdieva only by the number of years she's been on the JGP. She is the reigning 2019 World Junior silver medalist (albeit w/ a different partner); you would think that would rate some sort of mention. It's not a big deal; I just find it a bit curious. (To be fair, last week when introducing Alysa Liu, he did mention several times that she is the reigning U.S. senior champion.)

all_empty

One thing I find interesting is that Barton tends to not mention any past accomplishments for skaters when introducing them. For example, today he introduced Khudaiberdieva only by the number of years she's been on the JGP. She is the reigning 2019 World Junior silver medalist (albeit w/ a different partner); you would think that would rate some sort of mention. It's not a big deal; I just find it a bit curious. (To be fair, last week when introducing Alysa Liu, he did mention several times that she is the reigning U.S. senior champion.)

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. I rewatched Liu's programs and yes, while Ted deviated from his usual intro formula of name, age, years on JGP and music selection with her, he has good reason.

There's a few rules in broadcasting. First, know your audience. Liu is a history making U.S. championing making her international debut at a U.S. event. She is arguably the highest profile female athlete in the sport in 2019.

Second, time is precious, especially when you have a "hard out" (in this case, you don't want to talk over a skater's music). Say only what is relevant. The words "reigning U.S. champion" are a lot shorter than "reigning World silver medalist with former partner insert his name here." Also, as she has a new partner anyway, so why is her ex relevant?

For the record, I watched Trusova's JGP programs from last year and he identified her as the reigning world champion ... which is relevant.

ID at the top of the program aside, Ted mentioned Alysa as national champion only once in the kiss and cry for each program, for a total of four times. And when he mentioned it, he was describing a situation that is truly unique to her: making a splash as a senior champion and then debuting as a junior internationally. That is her story and thus worth mentioning.

clairecloutier

I don't know. I personally find the information that a skater is a reigning World Junior medalist to be a lot more relevant and interesting than merely reciting how many years she's been on the JGP. I always find that piece of info a bit irrelevant anyhow. Not that any of this really matters that much ... I'm just sharing an opinion based on several years of watching the JGP and listening to Barton.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

That competition is being broadcast online and not on tv, means fans are probably savvy enough to have a number of browser windows open at once. Meaning, they are probably watching the event on YouTube, following live results, posting messages on Twitter or Facebook, and reading athlete biographies as well.

Tinami Amori

Ted means well, he is well raised, he deep inside wants to be positive and fair. But his "north american bias" does come out and certain ideology.

Just because in the old Disney "Bambi" there is a phrase "if you can't say something nice, don't speak at all" (and we, USSR kind-gartners, learned it back then), does not mean that "bias and cultural lean" is not showing.

He means well. BUT HE IS "north american", to pin point "how he evaluates" facial expressions, emotions, etc..... maybe he should not comment on the issues that have "cultural differences".

We Russians don't effing SMILE during "business", and programme skating IS BUSINESS.

He should pipe up about "emotions of Russian girls"...... We HAVE emotions. we don't express them with "32 smiling teeth exposed". We think "showing dumb smile teeth exposing the gums" is ugly and stupid.

Does not matter HOW LONG we spend in USA .. we think DUMBSMILES are not appropriate.

This should not be evaluation for "expression in a progamme".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information