The Ted Barton Appreciation Society

essence_of_soy

:cheer:
I hope there is a way of accessing the event with his commentary. Such a wonderful honour for a top notch guy. #TEDtalks

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!
A great profile on Ted.

Well - holy moley! That interview completely changed my opinion of Eteri!

puglover

He said he’s providing commentary with Manley and Chouinard for Canadian Nationals.
No no not Manley unless he can shut her up. I hated her and Debbie Wilkes yammering on and on. Can we not just have Ted - and someone a bit more knowledgeable about dance?

alchemy void

campaigning for Surya's 06 Olympic bronze
He said he’s providing commentary with Manley and Chouinard for Canadian Nationals.
No Debbi Wilkes? :( :drama:

Ted is so great commentating junior events, he's fine for seniors too, but I really think he does best with the junior events. It would be nice if he could commentate Junior Worlds, the culmination of the junior season, after commentating JGP.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I like Ted Barton; he knows when to talk and when not to speak. He is rarely fatuous and limits his comments to effusive praise and self-correction.

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
A great profile on Ted.

Would love to know what his favorite all-time performance is. Someone who is still skating.... 🤔

Colonel Green

It would be nice if he could commentate Junior Worlds, the culmination of the junior season, after commentating JGP.
Since I assume the ISU will be broadcasting Junior Worlds on their YouTube account and they seem to want to have commentators for at least the big events*, I kind of expect to see Ted commentating there.

* The ISU having its own YouTube stream was pretty clearly a last-minute thing, so I'm not sure if the lack of commentary on the GP streams prior to the Final was reflective of them thinking those events didn't need commentary or if they left it so late that they couldn't schedule anybody to attend those events.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
Where do I sign up to the Barton Appreciation Society?
This! I'm in! I wish he could train every commentator to have silence during the performances! I can put up with about anything in between! And I do love Ted's positivity!

Last edited:

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
No Debbi Wilkes? :( :drama:
Ted Barton said today that he and Debbi Wilkes will do the senior events at Canadians while Liz Manley and Josee Chouinard will join him for the junior/novice events.

He made it sound like ALL the Canadian senior events will be livestreamed this year; the televised portions usually have not been in the past?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Ted Barton said today that he and Debbi Wilkes will do the senior events at Canadians while Liz Manley and Josee Chouinard will join him for the junior/novice events.

He made it sound like ALL the Canadian senior events will be livestreamed this year; the televised portions usually have not been in the past?
He specifically said all the events in answer to someone's email question, but I wondered about that too.

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
I'm hoping they will just geoblock the last groups in Canada and leave it open for the rest.
Ted said “No geoblocking. Canadians to the world.”

[my note: Vive la difference!]

Also, Ted even emphasized something to the effect of “every single skater and program” Wow.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
That's what has happened in the past. We shall see...
I am 100% certain of what I heard. What I recalled in toto, I quoted. What I paraphrased, I did so after hearing it with joy. I basically jumped out of my chair.

Maybe USFS will now try to place a block to ruin our holiday cheer or try to squeeze one more subscription out of greed?

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
Back to work for Ted Barton this week! He's hosting the English livestream for all the Novice & Junior events (Monday Jan. 13 through Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020) and his rotating guest commentators are Liz Manley and Josee Chouinard. For those without Kiss & Cry access, this is the English livestream: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7q5hi6

From the 2020 Canadians FAQ:
Will this event be broadcast or streamed?

Skate Canada will be live streaming all the Novice and Junior competition taking place at Paramount Fine Foods Centre, as well as, all Senior practices and select Senior competition – broadcast permitting.
From the event website:
***SENIOR COMPETITION STREAMING TBD. PLEASE SEE BROADCAST SCHEDULE FOR TSN/CTV COVERAGE.

ETA:

Ted mentioned on today's livestream that he has been invited back to Russia to cover Junior Nationals (February 4-8, 2020 in Saransk).

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Skate Talker

@Ka3sha - Thank you for that link. Ted is so thoughtful about everything to do with the sport. He is quite amazing. Also have to say that I have not been a particular Trankov fan due to some comments attributed to him in the past. However, based on this video I would say he has become a very good interviewer with interesting and well-thought-out questions and just the right amount of expressing his own perspective. Unlike some other former-athletes-turned-commentators I could name, he appears to be taking his job seriously and not just treating it as a perk of his successful skating career.

barbarafan

@Ka3sha - Thank you for that link. Ted is so thoughtful about everything to do with the sport. He is quite amazing. Also have to say that I have not been a particular Trankov fan due to some comments attributed to him in the past. However, based on this video I would say he has become a very good interviewer with interesting and well-thought-out questions and just the right amount of expressing his own perspective. Unlike some other former-athletes-turned-commentators I could name, he appears to be taking his job seriously and not just treating it as a perk of his successful skating career.
I used to be a bit iffy about him too until I saw an interview where they were asking him about quad throws. He said that in order to score well on it you had to throw so high and far that it was very dangerous for the woman and the man is too far from her to save her in any way. He would rather do quad twist as that way he will always be between his partner and the ice so he can protect her. After all he wanted this woman one day to have his children. After that I was a big fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information