The Skating Lesson

Willin

You think having young children precludes women from staying up late drinking or partying?! Sorry but that is really naive.
Nah, and as @StitchMonkey pointed out, having kids probably makes you want to do that. OTOH, I've seen that coaches with kids are much less likely to go out and drink that long at competitions. Some have told me it's the judges, others have said it's because since other parents are entrusting their kids to them, as a parent they feel more of a responsibility to act responsibly.

I also wonder if he deleted it because his tweet could be considered libel if Kori and Rohene argue they never said the things he said they did nor did they send 300 messages.
I was wondering this as well...

A few folks are also saying things like "I hope your students fail this season." and even Jason got a tweet from somebody saying that "as an Olympian you should do better." Thankfully there are only a few of these types of tweets, but the now deleted tweet has dragged in people who weren't involved in the situation at hand.
Wtf... When would anyone think that's appropriate? Some people, man...

triple_toe

Well, here's the difference. Courtney Hicks was actively contacting the haters herself - the messages I saw started with her DMing something to the effect of "why do you hate my skating so much". That probably wasn't an awesome idea to begin with, but whatever. However, Jonathan seems to be claiming that he received this truckload of harassing messages out of nowhere, i.e. he didn't initiate the exchange. So if he wants people to know how awful these messages were and why they upset him so much, it would be helpful to actually see some of them.

Also IIRC at least some of the messages, he said, were posted on his Facebook page, which isn't the same as a DM.

Helpful how? So we can pick the right person to hate on in the situation? So we can gossip accurately? He deleted the tweet already and they didn't name names in their latest video. Either it was true and he was rightfully upset, in which case I'm not interested in trying to make someone prove to me that their emotions were justified, or it's fabricated and I'm not interested in perpetuating the melodrama. If there are additional repercussions, they'll be handled via other avenues. I'm not trying to call you out specifically, but why must we know? If TSL started this airing this particular batch of dirty laundry, do we have to clamour for more? We can't simultaneously judge TSL for being too dramatic and gossip-laden and claim they haven't given us enough gossip fodder. Maybe we can just, I don't know, disengage?? I realize this is comically hypocritical since I'm still commenting here, so I obviously understand how easy it is to get sucked into things like this... :drama::shuffle:

dailytg20

I'd like them to prove they are not full of crap.

But given that they've only decided to address the situation obliquely in that self-congratulatory video, after sending out that ridiculous, over-the-top distress signal and dropping little tidbits about how other skating families have corroborated their complaints and blah blah blah, I feel like I have my answer. And I have no qualms roasting them for it.

I hate when people do this stuff--come wild n' out with an attack and the next minute play the victim. Or pretend I'm not naming names while dropping enough hints that it's obvious. It's such middle school BS. I shouldn't be surprised though coming from men in their mid-30s tweeting out gems like "I never want to be involved with this sport again!"

Gurl please. :drama:

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Helpful how? So we can pick the right person to hate on in the situation? So we can gossip accurately?

No. So that he can show that what he's saying is true.

He deleted the tweet already and they didn't name names in their latest video. Either it was true and he was rightfully upset, in which case I'm not interested in trying to make someone prove to me that their emotions were justified, or it's fabricated and I'm not interested in perpetuating the melodrama. If there are additional repercussions, they'll be handled via other avenues. I'm not trying to call you out specifically, but why must we know? If TSL started this airing this particular batch of dirty laundry, do we have to clamour for more? We can't simultaneously judge TSL for being too dramatic and gossip-laden and claim they haven't given us enough gossip fodder. Maybe we can just, I don't know, disengage?? I realize this is comically hypocritical since I'm still commenting here, so I obviously understand how easy it is to get sucked into things like this... :drama::shuffle:

That they didn't name names in their video doesn't mean that it never happened. It isn't "airing dirty laundry" and it's not for gossip fodder to ask for proof. He's made some fairly serious *unverified* claims about other people's conduct, and deleting those claims from the Internet doesn't mean he never said those things.

triple_toe

Sigh. I guess my point is that I don't see how sharing the private messages is going to make anything better at this point. He never should have made the initial tweet, but it happened, and IMO providing additional private details now would be far worse than just letting this whole thing blow over and settling it in private. But hopefully we can agree to disagree.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Sigh. I guess my point is that I don't see how sharing the private messages is going to make anything better at this point. He never should have made the initial tweet, but it happened, and IMO providing additional private details now would be far worse than just letting this whole thing blow over and settling it in private. But hopefully we can agree to disagree.

I do agree that "settling it in private" is exactly what should happen. All Jonathan or TSL has to do is to issue an honest statement along the lines of "We apologize for the confusion that was created by our online comments, and we have contacted the parties involved to privately resolve the issues that were caused" (and they actually have to do the private contact and the discussion, not just say they will).

But as long as they continue to pretend that the whole thing never happened because they deleted their statements, it's going to hang over their heads.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
"Have you seen the newest TSL drama? ...That Soprano was crying on a toilet in Chernobyl..."

... is what a friend just messaged me.

WTF?! :rofl:

But thank you as ever, FSU, for the last few pages on the latest hot mess that is TSL :rofl:

Sounds a bit uncomfortable if you’re hanging out in Chernobyl. Radiation sickness got to him?

C

casken

I want to know more about this "Sbis bribing the judges" conspiracy. Where did he come up with that?

arakwafan2006

Jonathan - did your grown ass really tweet that you and a wad of Kleenex were in the bathroom at a skating competition? As in, you didn’t see it coming that skaters and coaches probably wouldn’t like you at some point? How’d you think you’d be greeted? You sit every week for close to two hours ripping most skaters apart and co-signing Dave Lease who hasn’t even figured out he actually has low self esteem and gets off on being deprecating towards skaters.

Ade/Ward- if this happened, I’m sure it’s being blown out of proportion. If it’s being understated, GOOD. I believe Ade was on board at TSL’s inception and offered her time and expertise. She probably trusted Dave and chose to look past what must have been her gut reaction that he was messy as hell. He talks too much and is so tacky that he can’t decipher what’s between him and a coach VS what should be shared. I could see she and Rohene bringing up something small and then it turning into something bigger. Either way, JonAthan acting like a 5 year old is the MOST bizarre thing.

This whole tweet was silly. Some of you are equally as silly wanting screenshots.

Sasha is DIVINE

IMO Kori didn't come across well at all when she was on TSL early last season. Back then she obviously was on good terms with Dave. Clearly they have had some kind of falling out since, which is not at all surprising giving how Dave operates.

Now. Jonathan might have been a bit melodramatic with his initial tweet. But he is a really nice guy in addition to being pretty clever and witty. I really haven't seen him be mean spirited or bitchy just for the sake of it. That is more Dave's MO..

So while Jonathan may have exaggerated a bit, I absolutely believe that K & R sent him some unfriendly correspondence, so to speak. They probably targeted Jonathan precisely because he's not the type to be vindictive about it. If they have an issue with TSL and Dave, they really should have just messaged Dave IMO. Dave makes 99% of the controversial comments, so that is where the blame needs to be placed IMO.

I also think it's sad that some people here are mocking Jonathan and making fun of him. I also don't know why people who don't care for TSL just don't watch it or comment about it, but I guess people like to complain. :p

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yeah... I'm a little disappointed in the reaction. Not that long ago it was deemed wrong to share Courtney Hick's private messages, but now they are getting harped at for not.
Simply because they're not showing the messages doesn't mean they haven't already done what the person who posted the screenshot of their conversation with Hicks did:. they're making public a conversation that was supposed to be private. They're not refusing to show evidence in response to someone's accusation: they're the accusers.

Tavi

IMO Kori didn't come across well at all when she was on TSL early last season. Back then she obviously was on good terms with Dave. Clearly they have had some kind of falling out since, which is not at all surprising giving how Dave operates.

Now. Jonathan might have been a bit melodramatic with his initial tweet. But he is a really nice guy in addition to being pretty clever and witty. I really haven't seen him be mean spirited or bitchy just for the sake of it. That is more Dave's MO..

So while Jonathan may have exaggerated a bit, I absolutely believe that K & R sent him some unfriendly correspondence, so to speak. They probably targeted Jonathan precisely because he's not the type to be vindictive about it. If they have an issue with TSL and Dave, they really should have just messaged Dave IMO. Dave makes 99% of the controversial comments, so that is where the blame needs to be placed IMO.

I also think it's sad that some people here are mocking Jonathan and making fun of him. I also don't know why people who don't care for TSL just don't watch it or comment about it, but I guess people like to complain. :p

Umm. So basically, you have a positive impression of Dave and Jonathan because they both “seem” nice, and a negative impression of Kori because in your opinion, she “didn’t come across at all well” on the show last fall, and as a result, you not only believe that Kori and Rohene sent poor Jonathan “unfriendly” correspondence, but think they probably “targeted” him because he’s “not the type to be vindictive about it.” You further believe that if Kori and Ro “have an issue with TSL and Dave” they should have contacted him privately, not taken it out on poor Jonathan.

All I can say is, don’t let the absence of actual facts get in your way. Jonathan released, and later deleted, a tweet in which, out of nowhere, he publicly called Kori and Rohene “assholes” and accused them of writing “300 Facebook messages about what a terrible fraudulent person I am.” Leaving aside the hyperbole - I mean, c’mon, 300 messages? - it was an incredibly unprofessional thing to do, and it may have had consequences which neither Jonathan nor Dave have acknowledged or dealt with: damage to Kori and Rohene’s professional reputations in the skating community. Not only did a large number of fans assume the truth of the accusations and trash Kori and Rohene on social media, some also chose to chastise them directly (in fact, one person actually confronted Jason about it and tried to hold him responsible as “an Olympian”).

At this point, I could care less what actually happened. Let them work it out themselves in private. But frankly, I’ve lost a lot of respect for TSL because of the way this was handled. The recap continues to position Jonathan as a victim and continues to make innuendoes about Kori and Rohene. Not unlike you, actually. Forgive me if I don’t buy it.

And I say that as a long-time fan of TSL.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I also think it's sad that some people here are mocking Jonathan and making fun of him.

Seriously? Please go on Twitter or Facebook and see how other journalists/commentators respond to negative feedback. I doubt you will find any making posts about boo-hooing in the bathroom because someone (allegedly) sent them nasty messages.

Last edited:

Xela M

Jonathan, is this you? :lol:

dinakt

I know Jonathan, and he is a wonderful guy, very fun, kind, very good professionally. And he actually took skating lessons for a long time, too- which I am surprised TSL is not advertising more.
I have no idea what transpired, and have no idea if it was handled well- but I do not believe for a second he invented anything. Adding drama- maybe:) The photo of sobbing in a bathroom? I took it as at least somewhat ironic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information