The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

Cachoo

Wishing Maia a very Happy Birthday! 🎂

She and Alex continue to put positivity out into the world with such creativity and discipline. This ShibShow episode with the Emmy winning Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright, highlights his founding the charity "Brooklyn for Life." He introduces himself as "Friend of the ShibSibs" ☺

Fun intro music by Reggie Watts from "The Late Late Show." Everything is quality. Just like their skating.
I think Wright is one of the greatest actors working today. He can disappear into any role. Great guest Shibs!

Sylvia

TBD
The Shibs' second book in their "Kudo Kids" series will be published on May 4, 2021:

Re-tweeted by Maia today: https://twitter.com/sarahkuhn/status/1388185941097947137
We’re going to talk about telling authentic stories with Japanese American characters! Where we find inspiration and empowerment in our communities! And finding, cultivating, and protecting joy as Asian American creators! GET READY!
Event info/free registration (Thursday, May 13 from 8-9 pm ET):

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted by USFS today: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1389983748729442308
Fast facts about @ShibSibs:
-First ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at #WorldFigure [2011]
-Alex is the first man of Asian descent to win a U.S. title [2016]
-First ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at #Olympics [2018]

Don't miss their Instagram Live at 5 p.m. ET! #AAPIHeritageMonth
USFS shared the full video of their 2016 Worlds FD on IGTV: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COf5oLxDcCb/

IG Live link will appear here (ETA link to watch their 17-minute video conversation wih Michelle Hong): https://www.instagram.com/tv/COgaItiH0lp/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
May 10th Fan Zone article by Darci Miller:
Excerpts:
While much of their focus in writing the first book went to establishing the characters, the second book allowed them to concentrate on character development and the Kudo Kids' sibling relationship. Both, however, are set in cities close to the Shibutanis' hearts.
"For both stories, we chose locations where we had different experiences so that we could kind of write a little bit authentically and share some of our favorite things about those two particular cities," Alex said.
"I was born in New York and we grew up skating in the tri-state area. I represented the Skating Club of New York," Maia added. "We spent so much time in the city over the years that it's exciting for us to be able to introduce it to young readers who maybe haven't had the chance to visit before."
The p*ndemic has, of course, had a number of adverse effects on the creation and promotion of the Kudo Kids series. The Shibutanis had been looking forward to traveling to libraries around the country to meet the fans -- something they still hope to do -- and recorded the first audio book immediately before the lockdown began last year.
"I have a very distinct memory of finishing recording the book, and then essentially the next day, staying inside for a year," Alex noted with a laugh.
Skating Club of New York will have a Zoom event with the Shibutanis on Sunday May 16th at 7pm Eastern - more info here:
Tickets: $25 includes a LIVE 45-minute Q&A session with Maia & Alex where they will answer your questions about the Olympics, their skating career, and their new book series.
You will also receive a copy of Kudo Kids: The Mystery in Manhattan after the event.
ALL AGES WELCOME!
All proceeds from those who purchase through the SCNY website will go toward The Skating Club of New York Scholarship Fund.

Sylvia

TBD
Joyful Japanese American Stories: A CAPE [Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment] Roundtable (streamed live on May 13, 2021): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRbMNc6YMPE
To celebrate this week's release of author Sarah Kuhn's latest YA novel, FROM LITTLE TOKYO, WITH LOVE, we are excited to host Joyful Japanese American Stories: A CAPE Roundtable! Sarah Kuhn will be joined by COBRA KAI's Tamlyn Tomita, NO MISTAKES artist and PRODIGAL SON's Keiko Agena, and Olympic ice dancers and KUDO KIDS authors Maia & Alex Shibutani to speak on finding, cultivating, and protecting joy as Asian American artists.
Join us for an important conversation on how these dynamic creatives approach the work of telling authentic, fully rounded stories focusing on Japanese American characters. We'll hear about the importance of community, where we find our inspirations and empowerment, and how we keep going in our work to tell the stories that make our communities seen and heard.

Zoom Webinar - From The Olympics To The NFL, Learn How These Asian Americans Tackle Racism On And Off The Field
Thursday, May 20, 2021 from 12:00-1:00pm ET - RSVP (free registration) here: https://fromtheolympicstothenfl.splashthat.com/
Join Boston Globe columnist Shirley Leung for a special conversation during Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with former Patriots player and NFL coach Eugene Chung, two-time Olympic medalist and ice dancer Alex Shibutani, and ESPN studio anchor and reporter Michele Steele.
ETA:

Maia today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CO_hdgxpK5Y/
Hitomi Kinue (人見 絹枝) was the first Japanese woman to win a medal at the @olympics. As a Japanese American woman, I’m excited to share her story.
Thank you @wmn.media for asking me to guest host today’s episode of @encyclopediawomannica. The episode is available wherever you listen to podcasts. 🎧

Last edited:

VGThuy

Short but sweet clip of Maia skating to Olivia Rodrigo:

arakwafan2006

Am I the only one that really wanted to see these two skate with other partners? Please, spare me the reiteration that they are both pretty decided that each is the best partner for the other- I am aware. My question specifically is if you've ever wondered how they'd look with other partners? Maia, especially, for me. When she posts clips of her just skating around, i am mesmerized. They both have skills that are fantastic. Maia is very feminine with outstanding posture and power when she skates.

I almost wish that she were the role model for more singles skaters in terms of skating skills

VGThuy

Am I the only one that really wanted to see these two skate with other partners? Please, spare me the reiteration that they are both pretty decided that each is the best partner for the other- I am aware. My question specifically is if you've ever wondered how they'd look with other partners? Maia, especially, for me. When she posts clips of her just skating around, i am mesmerized. They both have skills that are fantastic. Maia is very feminine with outstanding posture and power when she skates.

I almost wish that she were the role model for more singles skaters in terms of skating skills
I admit that I sometimes imagined what they would be like with other partners. I remember that SOI number where she and Zach Donohue danced together with Maddie Hubbell and I have to say she and Zach looked really good together. Maia is truly a special skater. There’s just something about her carriage and natural high elegance and overall classiness that I think is simply missing from the field right now, and I truly miss it.

arakwafan2006

I admit that I sometimes imagined what they would be like with other partners. I remember that SOI number where she and Zach Donohue danced together with Maddie Hubbell and I have to say she and Zach looked really good together. Maia is truly a special skater. There’s just something about her carriage and natural high elegance and overall classiness that I think is simply missing from the field right now, and I truly miss it.
I agree. It's sort of like how I respected Meryl Davis as an Ice Dancer but got an entirely different appreciation for her during her dancing with the stars stint. She is just flat out a good dancer and that did not always show up when she was skating with Charlie.

Cayuse

It might have given us a different vision of Maia and Alex if they skated with other partners, but I would have missed their incredible synchronization and seeing Alex's look of adoration toward his sister at the end of every skate. From the first time I saw them skate in Spokane as a novice team, they had me hooked. They had a long and successful career and treated us fans to videos full of personality and outreach activities. I loved their connection and commitment to the class of Korean students during the pre-Olympic season.

Spiralgraph

I'm almost of two minds on this. I do think that fans would've seen and enjoyed other aspects of Maia and Alex's skating flourish if they'd had other partners (i.e. they could've done "romantic" programs) On the other hand we would have missed out on their incredible virtuosity when it comes to those twizzles. Do you really think many other skaters would choose to do so many twizzles in unison that they did? So for me, I'm glad they stayed together, their connection, their skating was superb and unique and I wouldn't really switch their partnering.

VGThuy

Let me clarify and say I imagine Maia and Alex skating with other people the way I imagine many ice dancers switching partners just to see how they’d adapt and look.

Sylvia

TBD
Can we take a moment to discuss how gorgeous Maia looks in her furisode? I think we could all use some beauty in our lives right now. :)
"Behind the scenes from the first time I wore a furisode (振袖)." (3-min. IGTV video on Maia's Instagram) https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTN7e8fpo7m/

Alex posted this on July 12: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRO_zM2gSkN/
Excited to announce my position on LA28’s Athletes’ Commission. I’m proud to have a seat at the table, and will work to make a difference and help create the long-lasting legacy of the @la28games.

Sylvia

TBD
Kristi Yamaguchi hosted a 30-min. chat with the Shibutanis on Nov. 16, 2021 about their books via USFS' Instagram Live: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWW0jKxJ3Ml/

Press release re. holiday events at Bloomingdale's 59th Street flagship store in NYC:
  • Ralph Lauren Ski Chalet (November 18 – December 24): The Polo Shop at Bloomingdale's transports you to Cortina, Italy, featuring a Polo ski-inspired collection, along with a special curation of men's, women's, kid's and home products. The chalet features Ralph Lauren's immersive RL Virtual Experience store, along with special experiences like a complimentary photo booth, gift wrap, hot cocoa, and more. And, join us live from the Chalet on [Wednesday] December 8 via Bloomingdale's On Screen for a styling event with two-time Olympic medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani, along with Bloomingdale's Men's Fashion Director Justin Berkowitz. Location: Men's Polo, Lower Level.

ETA: Looks like (from the press release) they won't be in NYC in person but via the "Bloomingdale's On Screen" virtual events platform.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Kristi Yamaguchi hosted a 30-min. chat with the Shibutanis on Nov. 16, 2021 about their books via USFS' Instagram Live: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWW0jKxJ3Ml/

Press release re. holiday events at Bloomingdale's 59th Street flagship store in NYC:
  • Ralph Lauren Ski Chalet (November 18 – December 24): The Polo Shop at Bloomingdale's transports you to Cortina, Italy, featuring a Polo ski-inspired collection, along with a special curation of men's, women's, kid's and home products. The chalet features Ralph Lauren's immersive RL Virtual Experience store, along with special experiences like a complimentary photo booth, gift wrap, hot cocoa, and more. And, join us live from the Chalet on [Wednesday] December 8 via Bloomingdale's On Screen for a styling event with two-time Olympic medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani, along with Bloomingdale's Men's Fashion Director Justin Berkowitz. Location: Men's Polo, Lower Level.
I wonder if we'll ever see them back on the ice in some capacity soon, like on a tour at least or something.

Sylvia

TBD
I wonder if we'll ever see them back on the ice in some capacity soon, like on a tour at least or something.
Kristi asked them that question at the end of their chat and they said that nothing is planned at the moment but to catch (Maia's) skating clips "on the 'gram" and that they would be sure to announce anything via their social media channels.

VGThuy

Maia and Alex presented the Pechanga Athlete on Another Level to Shohei Ohtani at the Character Media’s 19th Unforgettable Gala celebrating AAPI work across different fields. They look quite good.

barbk

Let me clarify and say I imagine Maia and Alex skating with other people the way I imagine many ice dancers switching partners just to see how they’d adapt and look.
I really like the West Coast Swing Jack and Jill competitions where two dancers are paired up randomly and then improvise on the spot. You see some unexpectedly great routines. This was one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUIaK87zGQ

(Figure skating connection: Robert Royston (featured in this video) was a choreographer for the Kerrs.)

GloriaW

Had not realized that one of the Shibs' grandfathers was an American citizen who was interned in a camp during WW2. (Mentioned in Alex's Instagram story). Two generations later they became the first ice dancers of Asian descent to stand on an Olympic podium in ice dance, representing Team USA.

Happy Olympic Anniversary to Maia and Alex! They thoughtfully note it is also a solemn day of remembrance marking the anniversary of FDR's Executive Order 9066 which ordered the internment of people of Japanese descent.

https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/s...4?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information