The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

AnnM

Shibs started a new online interview program appropriately titled, Shib Show. Their first guest is Tigertail director and screenwriter, Alan Yang.

Yang is an Emmy winner who has worked on Parks and Recreation, Master of None, Forever, and Little America.

Full disclosure: Their surprise special guest is my friend, so I obviously thought this was great! My friend knows what a huge skating fan I am, and kept me apprised of Alan's and the Shibs' friendship since it first started. It's really all so full of mutual support and admiration and is heartwarming to see.

clairecloutier

The Shibs have a new show out where they interview a children't school librarian from Tennessee. It's in connection with National Library Week and their upcoming book release:

VGThuy

Shibs recorded (pre-social isolation) an episode of Grocery Run with Watcher's Steven Lim, who is most famous for his work on Buzzfeed. Here, they shop for food and cook with Lim while answering questions:

It's pretty wholesome and nice to see 20 minutes of them just being themselves while doing something we don't normally see them do. The way they talked made it sound like they were just taking a break instead of retirement, but it was before Maia's cancer diagnosis and now this whole worldwide issue. Plus, I'm not convinced that they were actually planning on coming back to competitive skating anyway.

Another episode of ShibShow with emergency room physician, Dr. Shuhan He, co-founder of GetUsPPE - the charity that the Shibs have currently raised over $32,000 for, and with The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor.

ETA:

Alex referenced a Bon Appetit podcast that they did, and I thought he was joking, but apparently the Shibs did a podcast with them back in March 2018 after the Olympics!

I don't know how I missed that.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Happy 26th Birthday today, Maia! :)

Her and Alex's "Protect Our Protectors - GetUsPPE" GFM is still active (over $34,500 raised since April 1st!):

Link to watch all 6 episodes of The ShibShow - Season 1:

ETA: https://twitter.com/MaiaShibutani/status/1285333726545600513

Last edited:

GloriaW

Wishing Maia a very Happy Birthday! 🎂

She and Alex continue to put positivity out into the world with such creativity and discipline. This ShibShow episode with the Emmy winning Westworld actor Jeffrey Wright, highlights his founding the charity "Brooklyn for Life." He introduces himself as "Friend of the ShibSibs" ☺

Fun intro music by Reggie Watts from "The Late Late Show." Everything is quality. Just like their skating.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I adore Jeffrey Wright - thanks for sharing. He's a brilliant guy to follow on Twitter, to boot.

VGThuy

In celebration of Maia’s birthday, USFS posted a montage of their performances on their Instagram page:

Sylvia

TBD
Uploaded on July 21, 2020:
Olympic ice dancing duo Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani (the "Shib Sibs") discuss their remarkable ice dancing journey and dedication to their craft - and the importance of using one's platform for social good. As two-time U.S. national champions, Maia and Alex are the first ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at the Olympics and second sibling duo ever to share an ice dancing Olympic medal. In addition to their decorated sporting careers, they are also distinguished by their philanthropy work and influential social media presence. Moderated by Kate Johnson.
ETA: They mainly reminisced about their skating career from their earliest days through the 2018 Olympics (their future skating plans/Maia's surgery didn't come up).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

VGThuy

Bing Chen had some great words to say about them ahead of the launch of their book:

Since Gold Open began, Maia and Alex put up their own money to buy out theaters to promote POC-centered films, mainly with Asian actors but not entirely and they told him they only wanted their names affiliated if they did that rather than have someone with more money finance it under their name. My respect for these two keeps growing.

Sylvia

TBD
Maia and Alex will be on the TODAY Show on Wednesday morning to talk about the launch of their first book!
Their 4-minute segment can be watched here:

SHIBUTANI SIBLINGS ADD “PUBLISHED AUTHORS” TO EXTENSIVE RESUME (Sept. 9, 2020): https://www.teamusa.org/News/2020/S...ngs-Add-published-Authors-To-Extensive-Resume

Sylvia

TBD

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from their book thread in GSD...

Catch up with @MaiaShibutani and @AlexShibutani ❗

Join a Zoom chat next Thursday [11/19/20] for a Q&A session that includes a copy of their book 𝙆𝙪𝙙𝙤 𝙆𝙞𝙙𝙨! All proceeds to benefit the Memorial Fund.
Link to register: https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/jpxibcqudt/index.html

There is a free virtual event tomorrow with Maia & Alex (Portland Book Festival on Nov. 14 from 10:30 - 11:15 am PST) that requires online registration: https://literary-arts.org/event/pbf-chhibber-shibutani/

Last edited:

VGThuy

Cross-posting this from a post in PI, but Maia and Alex shared their experience in meeting the 46th President at a state function right after Sochi:

Also, the second installment of their book series is coming out in May:

VGThuy

I love rewatching their 2011 Nationals performances. They’re even better than their surprise world bronze medal performances. It was as if the audience didn’t know what to expect from then and slowly grew to realize they were seeing a very special team. It’s apparent when hearing the audience growing reaction to their SD and their FD.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I love rewatching their 2011 Nationals performances. They’re even better than their surprise world bronze medal performances. It was as if the audience didn’t know what to expect from then and slowly grew to realize they were seeing a very special team. It’s apparent when hearing the audience growing reaction to their SD and their FD.
That's how I felt when I saw them live at 2010 Skate America in Portland. They were something special and you just knew it then, making their GP debut.

VGThuy

A very cool new perspective of their Team Event short dance from two time Emmy-winning cinematographer Aaron Mendez:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLLQBerBKh-/?igshid=1awclp1ygotdp

Also, how many twizzles can you count?

I love their use of Carol Lane commentary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information