The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

SCeline

These two. Same relentless work ethic on and off the ice. The past 10 days: New York for Fashion Week, Shanghai for Stars on Ice, LA for the Emmy's and tonight they are in Colorado Springs to serve as hosts the US Olympic and Paralympic Assembly evening Gala.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/A...ic-and-Paralympic-Assembly-set-for-Sept-20-21

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Assembly – an annual meeting of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic family – will be held Sept. 20-21 at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The two-day event will be highlighted by an awards dinner featuring Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti as the keynote speaker and Olympic ice dance medalists Maia and Alex Shibutani as hosts.

More than participants are expected to attend, representing Olympic, Paralympic and Pan American National Governing Bodies; U.S. Olympians and Paralympians; the Athletes' Advisory Council; the Paralympic Advisory Committee; Multi-Sport Organizations; and USOC board members, trustees and staff.

VGThuy

I just saw this March 9, 2018 article about the Shibs' financial reality while training:

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/magazine/money-diary-maia-alex-shibutani

I don't remember seeing this before.

I also didn't realize McDonald's ended their partnership with the Olympics:

There are other perks of being an Olympic athlete. During the Olympics, McDonalds is where I got my coffee every morning. You think about coffee every day, maybe twice a day? And a cup of coffee is what, $2? $2.50? But McDonalds is ending their partnership with the Olympic Games, so this is the last time that McDonalds will be at the Village. Everyone was feeling a little sad. As people started to finish up their competitions at the Games, you saw more and more of them waiting in line at McDonalds. I had got a couple fried chicken sandwiches when we finished competing.

Not surprised that Alex tends to spend his money more than Maia and that Maia has been a saver since she was younger and some times buys Alex things because he doesn't have the money to buy what he wants.

VGThuy

Do we think the Shibs will actually debut a new program at Carnival on Ice tomorrow or will they keep skating to "Paradise" and/or "That's Life"?

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Who knows, until the reveal? With all of their busy activities since last season, they probably haven't even had the time to think about getting new music and working on a new program for exhibition.

VGThuy

^^ Who knows, until the reveal? With all of their busy activities since last season, they probably haven't even had the time to think about getting new music and working on a new program for exhibition.

I only ask because a month or so ago, there was an Insta story of them working with David Choi on some new music.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I only ask because a month or so ago, there was an Insta story of them working with David Choi on some new music.

Ah! :) Who knows? They are amazing multi-taskers, no? :D My gosh, they've achieved so much and I don't think we can truly understand the discipline and sacrifice because they seem so normal. ;) But great achievers actually are extraordinary in how they rise to the occasion of going for it in their own lives. Instead of looking at glass half empty, they get up each day seeing glass half full, and finding ways to fill their cups to running over, often by giving back to others even while they are busy making themselves the best they can be.

Or maybe it's mostly just desire and planning and having wonderful, grounding parents? :p

Last edited:

Mrs. P

The Shibs were just on IG Live and it sounds like they might be skating a new program because Alex started saying we're skating to "Fix You/Paradise" and Maia yelled, "Don't spoil it!" And then they made jokes they were skating to the Macarena. :D

So I guess they're doing two numbers?

VGThuy

The Shibs were just on IG Live and it sounds like they might be skating a new program because Alex started saying we're skating to "Fix You/Paradise" and Maia yelled, "Don't spoil it!" And then they made jokes they were skating to the Macarena. :D

So I guess they're doing two numbers?

YES! Shibs come through with brightening up my day.

VGThuy

It looks like the Shibs are leaving Tokyo in two days and heading straight to Singapore. All their SE Asian fans on IG are going crazy and begging them to come to Indonesia or Malaysia too. I guess they didn't imagine the Shibs will be that close to them.

VGThuy

Well, it looks like the Carnival on Ice telecast cut the Shibs. Ah well. Accordingly to what I heard, their new show program is to Sarah Jackson-Holman's "When You Dream". It was nice seeing them in the group number at least.

Mrs. P

It sounds like there's a second broadcast later in the week? Maybe they'll show up there?

suki

If you watch Alex's saved Instagram Live, you'll see them at the rink and some local fans came to greet them and give them gifts.

Also, we'll be seeing lots of twizzles this season, and Maia's still got it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BowXJ7VgkZF/?hl=en&taken-by=maiashibutani

Thanks for this VIETgrlTerifa. I miss the Shibs this season, but their social media presence is helping fill the void. To paraphrase a well-known "Saturday Night Live" sketch: "Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell Shib Blogs!"

Dobre

I am just cross-posting my vote for the Shibs' Broadway number next season:
(Should they feel compelled to compete:). Happy to see them having a wonderful time enjoying their year; but every time I hear this song, I just want to see them skate to it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxugyZCfuw

I know probably everyone else will want to do it (and I know absolutely nothing about the beats-per-minute requirements), but no one I've seen in juniors or seniors in any discipline is actually using this particular song for a competitive number this year--though we have many combinations of the other songs from the soundtrack--and to me the Shibs would just be the right team. (They could announce early). Plus I feel this song deserves to be done by someone who really "gets it."

I'm especially fond of the "We are warriors" line.

Anyway, I'm not a music expert by any stretch so I usually avoid making music suggestions; but I do watch a lot of Broadway musicals. This is the song that feels like the Shibs to me. (The Tightrope one is nice too. It's being used very well by at least one novice & one junior team this season. But this particular song is the one that has the guts).

Last edited:

Spun Silver

On Instagram, there's a clip of their new program:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpSGLllBl5L/?hl=en

They're skating to "Waves/ Sara Jackson-Holman's "When You Dream"

The opening clip looks great. I wish there was a full video.
It's very much in their wheelhouse but it's very beautiful. It makes me think of them as children discovering the ice (world) together. I hope the poster posts the rest soon!

VGThuy

They really have a poise, posture, and line that I'm missing this season. Their cleanliness and precision is some times used as a detriment, but just seeing how they move and the way their feet and blades work almost always serves as some antidote when I watch an ice dance competition in full. I remember watching the Olympics with friends and during the team competition FD just seeing their reaction (even my friend who said bro/sis teams creep them out) when the Shibs started their FD after what came before it and knowing there was something so special about the way they skated. It was like putting on glasses for the first time.

Regarding this new program, Alex always had a striking way of moving, especially in their 2016-2017 Lambiel-choreographed exhibition. Maia is gaining a real fluid way of moving, especially her arms. I noticed just how well she moved them during that SOI program with her, Zach, and Madi. It was hard to take your eyes off of her. I hope she continues to develop that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information