The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

aml78

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t officially retire yet. I could see them taking next season off, testing the waters in other areas and seeing where they want to go. But they are smart to strike while the iron is hot. They won’t be as marketable if they don’t continue to get the same results or better. With Hubbell and Donohue on the rise, it might be time for them to exit and go out “on top”.

Mrs. P

I won't venture to guess how much, but I have a feeling they probably earned far more post-Olympics then they would have had earning a second fourth world medal.

The ShibSibs brand has far more mainstream appeal beyond skating. Their personalities and content is enough at this point. If anything, skating needs the ShibSibs more than the other way around...

Last edited:

MRani

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t officially retire yet. I could see them taking next season off, testing the waters in other areas and seeing where they want to go. But they are smart to strike while the iron is hot. They won’t be as marketable if they don’t continue to get the same results or better. With Hubbell and Donohue on the rise, it might be time for them to exit and go out “on top”.

I don’t think they have that mentality. H/D have been on the rise for a long time and the Shibs have faced them down in every international meeting. If they retire, it’ll be because they’ve accomplished everything they want to in their sport and are ready to move on, not because they think that they can’t keep getting good results. If that was their attitude they would’ve quit a long time ago.

Spun Silver

I would say the Shibs are on the rise too, wouldn't you? I think they love skating too much to stop, and would be happy to take on HD as often as you like, but it's just a guess.

aml78

I don’t think they have that mentality. H/D have been on the rise for a long time and the Shibs have faced them down in every international meeting. If they retire, it’ll be because they’ve accomplished everything they want to in their sport and are ready to move on, not because they think that they can’t keep getting good results. If that was their attitude they would’ve quit a long time ago.

The difference being at that point, they had yet to really achieve high level results, other than their original world bronze. Now they have awesome results.

VGThuy

What’s with people thinking the Shibs are scared of other teams? Their whole career has been exceeding expectations and beating teams that some others think would beat them...multiple times. The Shibs aren’t afraid of losing and they are capable of rising to the occasion and facing challenges.

MRani

The difference being at that point, they had yet to really achieve high level results, other than their original world bronze. Now they have awesome results.

My point exactly. If they weren’t willing to quit out of fear of failure when they were at their lowest point in their career ever, why would they quit out of fear now when they’ve proven to themselves and the world that they are capable of achieving the highest podiums in their sport multiple times over? Like I said, if they retire, it won’t be out of fear of other teams or failure. That’s never been their way.

IloveFS

If they have achieved their competitive goals, then maybe (sadly) they will decide to retire. If they have other competitive goals, then just maybe they will continue. I really like this team and think that they should continue. I haven't had enough of them yet!!! lol!!!

VGThuy

Maia's latest IG post is pretty hilarious. She asks if she should get a trim or a cut and the answers are pretty funny.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcsyWxBe1y/?taken-by=maiashibutani

Ashley Wagner says to just do a trim because she's been admiring Maia's hair all week at SOI. Alexa Scimeca-Knierem says to do something edgy and cut it short and color it. Alex says to get a "mohawk bob", whatever that is, :lol:.

I actually think this is the longest I've seen Maia's hair.

MRani

Maia's latest IG post is pretty hilarious. She asks if she should get a trim or a cut and the answers are pretty funny.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcsyWxBe1y/?taken-by=maiashibutani

Ashley Wagner says to just do a trim because she's been admiring Maia's hair all week at SOI. Alexa Scimeca-Knierem says to do something edgy and cut it short and color it. Alex says to get a "mohawk bob", whatever that is, :lol:.

I actually think this is the longest I've seen Maia's hair.

Lindsey Vonn agrees with Ashley too, but Alexa Knierim wants her to cut it and do something edgy.

I agree with Ashley and Lindsey (says the girl planning to cut off her own super long hair this Friday :shuffle: :lol:) Maia’s hair is too gorgeous, but she should do whatever makes her happy.

VGThuy

Lindsey Vonn agrees with Ashley too, but Alexa Knierim wants her to cut it and do something edgy.

I agree with Ashley and Lindsey (says the girl planning to cut off her own super long hair this Friday :shuffle::lol:) Maia’s hair is too gorgeous, but she should do whatever makes her happy.

And Aja Evans is like "no on the mohawk bob", :lol:.

chapis

I hope she doesn´t cut her beautiful hair, finally I agree with Ashley :eek:

-----
Someone on Goldenskate says that they likely will write a book, omg, it would be fabulous.

Last edited:

suki

:wuzrobbed well, I hope they will get all they wish, they deserve it. And I am glad that they are not ruling out future competitions.

eta. I wonder if they will move to LA?

I am going to stir the pot a bit here, so apologies if I offend anyone. I love the Shibs and hope that whatever they do, they are happy and fulfilled. But, there is a part of me that laments that the overscoring and endless "world records" for P/C would give any top ice dancing team pause to ponder if the odds are stacked against any team other than the anointed ones. JMHO.

clairecloutier

I am going to stir the pot a bit here, so apologies if I offend anyone. I love the Shibs and hope that whatever they do, they are happy and fulfilled. But, there is a part of me that laments that the overscoring and endless "world records" for P/C would give any top ice dancing team pause to ponder if the odds are stacked against any team other than the anointed ones. JMHO.

Could not agree more. As an ice dance team, you would like to think that, with improvement and hard work, you could compete with the French. But, with the ridiculousness of the scores P/C are now getting every time they step on the ice, it's like the judges have all but anointed them 2022 Oly champions. Obviously a lot can happen in 4 years, and Maia/Alex are not the types to be daunted by a challenge, but it's a pretty huge mountain to climb.

Mrs. P

I think it's good for them to have this break. It's terrible from a fan perspective. But honestly, they've gone through two full Olympic cycles, basically went through hell and back with their results, endured growth spurts and injuries.

And just this season alone has been so LOOONG -- they started working toward the Olympic season right after Worlds in late March and basically did not stop until February.

It's a big ask and commitment to go through an Olympic cycle and I think they need to step away for a bit to decide whether they have goals in this sport the can achieve going forward. I obviously hope they're coming back, but I certainly understand if they are ready for different types of opportunities.

chapis

To lighten things up a bit, a fan dubbed their Latin SD with A Ha's "Take on Me" and I love it:

https://twitter.com/ironicbirbb/status/984182320952414208

oh thanks, I needed this.

It's a big ask and commitment to go through an Olympic cycle and I think they need to step away for a bit to decide whether they have goals in this sport the can achieve going forward. I obviously hope they're coming back, but I certainly understand if they are ready for different types of opportunities.

This!!. I remember a period in my career when it was too much work, I was totally overwhelmed by all that and I just let myself go by the inertia, I did not even try to get out of that nightmare because I did not have time, head, or energy to turn to see what other opportunities there were. At this moment I think that I could have made some decisions in a very different way. So, I think it is a good thing analyze with calm and from outside their options on and off the ice.

MRani

There goes my denial phase lol. I’m sad to hear it but I agree with what Mrs. P said upthread. They really deserve this chance to step away and dedicate some time to themselves and other opportunities outside of competitive skating. I’m so proud of everything they achieved this season. I hope to see them compete again but I’ll be following their endeavors happily no matter what they do.

Cayuse

Fell in love with the Shibs in 2007 at the US Nationals in Spokane. Maia's dress was eye catching and their synchronization was amazing! (Starts at 12:28). Eleven years of enjoyment, terrific highs (a few stress-inducing lows), keeping the faith with all of you on this thread through FOUR excellent Olympic skates--one can't really be too selfish! I wish them all the best in their new adventures.

MRani

Fell in love with the Shibs in 2007 at the US Nationals in Spokane. Maia's dress was eye catching and their synchronization was amazing! (Starts at 12:28). Eleven years of enjoyment, terrific highs (a few stress-inducing lows), keeping the faith with all of you on this thread through FOUR excellent Olympic skates--one can't really be too selfish! I wish them all the best in their new adventures.

Ok I was totally fine until you made me watch baby Shibs and now I’m :wuzrobbed

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information