The Shibutanis Thread 6: Paradise Found

Kuurisu

ShibSibs posted a video of themselves hunting for Easter eggs in 1996! Too cute! :swoon:

https://youtu.be/-PGWTEvw4js
sheesh...i wasn't even born yet :T

EDIT: i have noticed this for a while and am commenting on it now. alex as a child had a very firm grasp on english and had very good pronounciation. no wonder he is so good with words now. he must be pretty intelligent in the linguist area.

Last edited:

Kuurisu

English is his first language and he's the child of two intellectuals. Kids of academics are usually very bright like that.
it's less about english being his first language, my point was. he even said "let's look at the instructions" (near the end) in perfect clarity while a kid his age would surely slur such a tough syllabled word. i forgot about what his parents did, so now that you mention it, it makes sense how he's able to talk so impressively. :)

suki

it's less about english being his first language, my point was. he even said "let's look at the instructions" (near the end) in perfect clarity while a kid his age would surely slur such a tough syllabled word. i forgot about what his parents did, so now that you mention it, it makes sense how he's able to talk so impressively. :)

Earlier in this thread there was a short discussion about Alex's correct use of the objective case in a tweet he posted. As an editor, I was very impressed, but I usually am when it concerns the Shibs.;)

VGThuy

On the ShibSibs' IG story, there's a cute video of them signing posters with Nathan and Jason. I really want to ask them on twitter what they're skating to.

binbinwinwin

I'm mystified that they choose S/B's, M/R and S/D are a bit lower ranked so I understand that they won't be chosen but G/P should be there instead of S/B.

I voted for the Shibs because genuinely I liked their SD best this season.

chapis

I'm mystified that they choose S/B's, M/R and S/D are a bit lower ranked so I understand that they won't be chosen but G/P should be there instead of S/B.

Honestly, I do not know what they are based on to choose them, I do not understand why S/B are in the poll, maybe they choose the most popular and for some reason, S/B are very popular.

VGThuy

On SOI's Insta stories, there's one of Maia and Alex practicing. It may be their new show program. Could anybody tell what music it is?

MRani

On SOI's Insta stories, there's one of Maia and Alex practicing. It may be their new show program. Could anybody tell what music it is?

The quality wasn’t so great and even though the music sounds familiar I can’t place it. :/

I enjoyed Zach and Adam’s rather nice attempt to replicate that stationary lift in the next instastory, lol.

Dobre

Honestly, I do not know what they are based on to choose them, I do not understand why S/B are in the poll, maybe they choose the most popular and for some reason, S/B are very popular.

Stepanova & Bukin's SD is my second favorite SD of the season after the Shibs'.

Don't care for V&M's at all. I like the way Tessa moves to the music, but it doesn't compensate for the program. There is no accounting for taste;). If you wish to see S&B's at its best, I highly recommend their skate at Europeans. Definitely their best performance of the season, I think.

binbinwinwin

Stepanova & Bukin's SD is my second favorite SD of the season after the Shibs'.

Don't care for V&M's at all. I like the way Tessa moves to the music, but it doesn't compensate for the program. There is no accounting for taste;). If you wish to see S&B's at its best, I highly recommend their skate at Europeans. Definitely their best performance of the season, I think.

I actually did see Europeans and I still don't like the program sorry, I think S/B are fun in a messy way but the program is not my thing. I don't like V/M's much either, they skate well but it's too dense for me, only looked good on paper.

Anyway to keep this about the Shibs, I went to the SOI instastory but I just missed it, however a fan uploaded the clip here on Twitter (or what I'm assuming is the clip). Can't tell what it is but if anyone else missed it it's right here.

chapis

I cant recognize the music but it definitely does not sound like any of their programs, so yes, it must be a new program, I hope we get some fan video :watch:

chapis

Now that we know that Maia and Alex are not doing DWTS, I think we have higher hopes of they continuing this season. I know DWTS are only 10 episodes or something like that, but I guess the participants will have comitments after the show and it could be difficult prepare for the next season.

MRani

I’m a little disappointed that it seems unlikely now that they’ll be doing DWTS (the rest of the cast still has to be announced but I have a hard time believing they’ll add more figure skaters), and I think they would’ve been better choices for the show than Tonya Harding considering their recent success and marketability, but if it means they get a proper vacation after SOI and are more likely to come back next season I’ll take it!

VGThuy

I only wanted Maia and Alex on DWTS just so they could learn from the dance training and working with different choreographers and see how they'd look with different partners for curiosity's sake. All of my hoping they'd do DWTS was just for gearing up for next season because I wanted there to be a next season for them.

MRani

I was thinking they could get a head start with training the tango if they did DWTS haha. There’s usually some form of tango on the show right?

Laura4

Hmm...I can't believe DWTS didn't call on them. I'm wondering if the show is saving them for the regular season so they can be on longer, knowing they will be popular with the viewers. But then that would mean Maia and Alex would have to bow out of the next skating season. I don't see how they could do both. Of course, it's also possible the show did ask them to do the all-athlete edition and the Shibs turned them down. :confused:

nimi

Hmm...I can't believe DWTS didn't call on them. I'm wondering if the show is saving them for the regular season so they can be on longer, knowing they will be popular with the viewers. But then that would mean Maia and Alex would have to bow out of the next skating season. I don't see how they could do both. Of course, it's also possible the show did ask them to do the all-athlete edition and the Shibs turned them down. :confused:
I really hope they'll keep competing at least for 2 more years because I think their take on the Broadway/Musical/Operetta RD could be absolutely delightful to watch! (I presume RD is the new abbreviation for the thing formerly known as SD?)

In SOI news:
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/981695081869692928:watch:

https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/981697584434700288 :rofl:

lauravvv

Icenetwork poll best short dance 2017-18 https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/981160780988022785, I think M/R, S/D and G/P should be on that poll too.
Thank you for the link, chapis. I would include Fournier-Beaudry Sorensen if they had competed at Olympics and Worlds. Their SD was not very traditionally latin, but I thought it really stood out (and in a good way).

Either them or W/P, or even H/D (which would be understandable, given their great results in the SD and overall this season). Those SDs certainly were not worse than S/B's, if not better.

Firedancer

I think the Shibs are doing Fix You at SOI. Zach posted a live Instagram video during practice yesterday. They were finishing their individual practices and he said a little Shibutani moment and Fix You was playing.

Last edited:

chapis

I think the Shibs are doing Fix You at SOI. Zach posted a live video during practice yesterday. They were finishing their individual practices and he said a little Shibutani moment and Fix You was playing.

Really? :(

VGThuy

I think the Shibs are doing Fix You at SOI. Zach posted a live Instagram video during practice yesterday. They were finishing their individual practices and he said a little Shibutani moment and Fix You was playing.

I just saw that clip and it's "Paradise" as after "Fix You" it goes back to "Paradise". The "Fix You" that was playing was the part of their Paradise FD after the stationary lift and before their twizzles.

Firedancer

I just saw that clip and it's "Paradise" as after "Fix You" it goes back to "Paradise". The "Fix You" that was playing was the part of their Paradise FD after the stationary lift and before their twizzles.

Really was hoping to see them do something new.

VGThuy

Really was hoping to see them do something new.

Me too. Since they have two programs for SOI, I hope the other is not "That's Life". H/D are also doing their FD and Nathan is doing his SP at SOI as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam did his SP either.

At least I get to see Paradise live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information