The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

MRani

People is discussing if Russia will go to Korea or not. So, someone put a link to the page of USADA https://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/ and of all figure skaters I searched, Maia was tested the most of times this year, 6 times, I told you, all those videos showing them skating all day and all night do not go unnoticed :lol:.

The next most tested is Mirai at 5...3A suspicions? Lol

I actually find it hilarious that Maia of all people got tested the most. Even USADA agrees she’s too perfect :p

MRani

Also, I really don’t think Russia is going to be banned entirely from the Winter Olympics. We had this same drama during Rio and they just banned athletes/disciplines with proven doping history. I don’t see why it would be different now. Russian figure skaters will be fine.

chapis

You think it’s all of those work out videos she’s posting on Instagram?

The work out is very normal. I have mentioned here that their schedule is very impressive and I wondered if they drink much coffee or red bull. They are always doing something, working all day and all night somedays, working weekends, etc. I think that could be the reason. But watching their baby videos they always seem very active.

MRani

Good news! Due to the Milk Bone sponsorship I assume Lily and Po have an instagram page now. :dog:

OMG YES. I’ve already watched their last vlog countless times because of the adorable puppy footage in the beginning :biggrinbo

Lol at the fact that Evgenia is following the puppy page already. Lily and Po are already bring in the big names.

And now for the first time in my life, I have become the type of person to follow a page dedicated to someone’s pets. What has my life come to? :drama:

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Lol at the fact that Evgenia is following the puppy page already. Lily and Po are already bring in the big names.

Hahaha is she? It makes me laugh that they make her skate to such dramatic stuff all the time when it seems like she's an actual ray of human sunshine.

Those dogs are adorable. Also the Shibs and/or their agents are doing some work man. Get those jobs.

chapis

OMG YES. I’ve already watched their last vlog countless times because of the adorable puppy footage in the beginning :biggrinbo

And now for the first time in my life, I have become the type of person to follow a page dedicated to someone’s pets. What has my life come to? :drama:

:rofl:, I know, but nobody else has to know it. And being honest, I'm the kind of person that if I have a bad day, I will watch videos of adorable puppies or babies. And that always cheer me up.

firstflight

Is this the thread where people who don't hate any team hang out? Somehow, and it took until this season, I've become a big fan of all three US teams. It probably helped that Chock and Bates are kind of adorable together now and Hubbell and Donohue got that kick-ass FD.

Maia and Alex are still first for me-- I'm hoping for at least a 78 SD and 114 FD combo at Skate America to solidify their first place position within the US. Their PCS from Rostelecom Cup still are holding up well as the other GP events have been happening. And the base score in the FD needs the boost from one of their step sequences getting Level 4 to push them up to 114.

DreamsofBliss

Is this the thread where people who don't hate any team hang out? Somehow, and it took until this season, I've become a big fan of all three US teams.

I'm a fan of all three teams, too. They all have something to offer. I hope the Shibs score much higher at Skate America, especially their SD which is my favorite.

Cute Winter Olympics Quiz on Ice Network from the 100 Days Out Celebration. Davis and White are in it, too.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Is this the thread where people who don't hate any team hang out? Somehow, and it took until this season, I've become a big fan of all three US teams. It probably helped that Chock and Bates are kind of adorable together now and Hubbell and Donohue got that kick-ass FD.

Maia and Alex are still first for me-- I'm hoping for at least a 78 SD and 114 FD combo at Skate America to solidify their first place position within the US. Their PCS from Rostelecom Cup still are holding up well as the other GP events have been happening. And the base score in the FD needs the boost from one of their step sequences getting Level 4 to push them up to 114.
Yes. I like it in here, it's a safe place. And it does help that I like the Shibs :biggrinbo
I also like both 3 US teams for various reasons, I'm blown away by the level of ID in the country.
And you're right, Shibs are still first, judges will reward those who are consistent. They have the ability for a 78 SD and 114 FD (they did 115 at 4CC) and H/D will have to catch up on that which is hard. But if that means we're in for a battle, I love it ! But both those teams are distancing themselves from C/B though, just on levels, you can see the difference. On the rumba too. I rewatched Shibs' pattern the other day and it was really good (edges, speed, etc). They have that advantage, so I'm just going to wait for next week for an idea of their scores, but they can definitely reach it.

Spun Silver

I just watched this vid of the FD from RC. It looked almost new to me - is it from a different angle? I felt much more connected to it and am feeling much more optimistic about the program. Besides how beautifully they are skating, I noticed this time that it does have a unity from the use of spins in particular to express the program’s different moods or phases. That is a wonderful choreographic dimension of the program. The glowing response of the British commentator (I forget her name) was nice too.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5ghCfRYRw

I agree that this is a safe space. We mostly rave about the Shibs but try to be objective and fair at the same time. Re US teams, for now Maddie and Evan’s spectacular SD lift is my favorite of the season. I also like POGREBINSKY and BENOIT (sorry, my autocorrect insists on doing that... I guess it is a fan too). Not sure this is their season but I feel sure they have greatness in them. Also the Greens even though I’ve only seen them once. But it’s a Shib thread so never mind the others. :)

Mrs. P

I just watched this vid of the FD from RC. It looked almost new to me - is it from a different angle? I felt much more connected to it and am feeling much more optimistic about the program. Besides how beautifully they are skating, I noticed this time that it does have a unity from the use of spins in particular to express the program’s different moods or phases. That is a wonderful choreographic dimension of the program. The glowing response of the British commentator (I forget her name) was nice too.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5ghCfRYRw

Yeah, I don't know what it is about that video, but yeah -- I was definitely feeling it this time! Like heart rate rising at the Para-para-paradise part! I'm excited now. Especially since I just booked my plane tickets to San Jose. :) Thanks for sharing the video!

Spun Silver

Yeah, I don't know what it is about that video, but yeah -- I was definitely feeling it this time! Like heart rate rising at the Para-para-paradise part! I'm excited now. Especially since I just booked my plane tickets to San Jose. :) Thanks for sharing the video!
You keep saying “my” as though you’re not taking Mr P.

Speaking of Mr’s, is VGT off getting herself married?

Mrs. P

You keep saying “my” as though you’re not taking Mr P.

Speaking of Mr’s, is VGT off getting herself married?

I'm not. :) Mr. P has agreed to stay with our 2-year-old daughter. She is FAR too crazy and active to sit still at a figure skating competition. I owe him big time.

I'm actually flying into San Francisco, so I'm going to spend a few hours there before taking transit to San Jose. I'm excited for this momcation. :)

I hope VGT and Mr. VGT have a great wedding, if it is indeed this weekend.

ETA: I think the reason why there isn't other team bashing in this thread because we were once long-suffering Shibsibs fans who had to endure comments like that the Shibs would be passed by junior teams, that Alex needed to find a new partner, that they skate small. I think it makes us -- or at least me, personally -- less apt to slam other teams, IMO.

Regarding the U.S. teams, I have seen the teams live several times and have seen some great things. Chock and Bates skate fast and have great lifts. I saw notable improvement from Hubbell and Donohue from 2014 Nationals to 2016 Worlds.

Also, my logic is if the Shibs beat these other teams, it's a reflection of their hard work and ability because this ID field is no joke. No point of downplaying that, IMO.

Last edited:

chapis

I just watched this vid of the FD from RC. It looked almost new to me - is it from a different angle? I felt much more connected to it and am feeling much more optimistic about the program.

No, it is not from a different angle, I remember that some seasons ago, icenetwork had their own cameras, right?. And we could watch at least two versions of the same performance. But not now. I guess the program simply is growing on you. I think that the music is avoiding a little that people like the program, because I have watched their FD many times and I have been mesmerized just watching their skating without sound or listening to different music.

Mrs. P

Those Shibs, those sneaky folks.
Paradise -- the song, the dance-- is an earworm --- a very sneaky one -- I seriously went from not watching it for several weeks to watching it several times the last day or so.
Honestly, with the right type of performance... this FD has the ingredients for broad appeal and potential to go viral. Which is exactly what the Shibs are going for, those sneaky kids.

suki

I'm not. :) Mr. P has agreed to stay with our 2-year-old daughter. She is FAR too crazy and active to sit still at a figure skating competition. I owe him big time.

I'm actually flying into San Francisco, so I'm going to spend a few hours there before taking transit to San Jose. I'm excited for this momcation. :)

Mr. P and Baby P without mom's steady hand. Now, I would pay to see that!:D

Dobre

Is this the thread where people who don't hate any team hang out?

We go off kilter now and then, and we don't all like all the teams; but Maia & Alex have had a very different journey from other dance teams. My hypothesis is that longterm Shibs' fans understand that you never take anything for granted. And you never give up. It's not about proving everyone else is below them. It's about the Shibs always rising--rising to meet their own potential. Ixnay on the needing to rip everyone else apart. The Shibs aren't great because their competition is weak. They are great because their competition is strong.

chapis

I expected that this weekend, we would see the vlog of Champs camp, also missing that they upload the vlog of Rostelecom :(. At least we got to baby Alex with Mickey mouse, so sweet :swoon:!! https://www.instagram.com/p/BbqRvWgjAfL/?taken-by=alexshibutani.

Finally Skate America week :cheer2:

----------
eta. oh, I just saw that Mickey answered him in his instagram :)
  • mickeymouse: Couldn’t have said it better myself, @alexshibutani! Thanks for making my birthday even more magical! ⭐ -Mickey Mouse

MRani

I feel like it was just yesterday that we were on pins and needles waiting for the Shibs to debut their programs at Rostelecom, and now Skate America is just a week away! This Grand Prix season has really flown by. I can’t wait to see what improvements they’ve made. And SkAm better have their score inflation machine oiled up and ready to go :EVILLE:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information