The Satoko Miyahara fan thread - "This is a start in the true sense"

Sylvia

TBD
Satoko will participate in the Japan Society's Zoom event on Tuesday, June 29, 8 PM EDT (Wednesday, June 30, 9AM JST):

Champion figure skaters from Japan and the U.S. speak out about training and competing, the athletic mindset and resiliency in overcoming challenges, superfans and the extreme popularity of the sport in Japan, and life after competitive skating. Participants include two-time Olympian, 2018 Olympic bronze medalist and 2008 U.S. National Champion Mirai Nagasu; 2007 and 2011 World Champion, 2011 Four Continents Champion, 2004 World Junior Champion and three-time Japanese National Champion Miki Ando; two-time Olympian, 1994 World Champion, 1990 Junior World Champion and two-time Japanese National Champion Yuka Sato; and four-time Japanese National Champion (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018), 2016 Four Continents Champion, 2018 Winter Olympian (4th), World Silver Medalist (2015), World Bronze Medalist (2018) and Grand Prix of Figure Skating Silver Medalist (2015, 2016) Satoko Miyahara. Moderated by two-time Olympic and World medalist and 1993 U.S. National Champion Nancy Kerrigan. Viewers will be able to ask direct questions during this interactive online program.

This program is part of our Passing the Torch series, a celebration of the upcoming Tokyo Summer Games.

ETA her bio on the event page:
Satoko Miyahara was born in 1998 in Kyoto, Japan. Her family relocated to Houston, Texas for work when she was five years old and they returned to Kyoto when she was seven years old. Satoko is currently competitive and trains in Toronto, Canada. She is a four-time Japanese National Champion (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018), 2016 Four Continents Champion, 2018 Winter Olympian (4th Place), World Silver Medalist (2015), World Bronze Medalist (2018) and Grand Prix of Figure Skating Silver Medalist (2015, 2016). Satoko graduated from the University of Kansai in March 2021. Apart from figure skating, she enjoys speaking English, which she first studied during her time in Houston, cooking, and coloring books.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Satoko will participate in the Japan Society's Zoom event on Tuesday, June 29, 8 PM EDT (Wednesday, June 30, 9AM JST):

Champion figure skaters from Japan and the U.S. speak out about training and competing, the athletic mindset and resiliency in overcoming challenges, superfans and the extreme popularity of the sport in Japan, and life after competitive skating. Participants include two-time Olympian, 2018 Olympic bronze medalist and 2008 U.S. National Champion Mirai Nagasu; 2007 and 2011 World Champion, 2011 Four Continents Champion, 2004 World Junior Champion and three-time Japanese National Champion Miki Ando; two-time Olympian, 1994 World Champion, 1990 Junior World Champion and two-time Japanese National Champion Yuka Sato; and four-time Japanese National Champion (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018), 2016 Four Continents Champion, 2018 Winter Olympian (4th), World Silver Medalist (2015), World Bronze Medalist (2018) and Grand Prix of Figure Skating Silver Medalist (2015, 2016) Satoko Miyahara. Moderated by two-time Olympic and World medalist and 1993 U.S. National Champion Nancy Kerrigan. Viewers will be able to ask direct questions during this interactive online program.

This program is part of our Passing the Torch series, a celebration of the upcoming Tokyo Summer Games.
The video has been uploaded (1 hour 20 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnUv8DMv9_I

Sylvia

TBD
Satoko was a guest on the ISU's Ice Skating Podcast (link to listen is at the end): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...eeks-to-surpass-past-glories?templateParam=15
“I am feeling very good,” the double ISU World Figure Skating Championships winning medallist – a guest on the most recent episode of The Ice Skating Podcast – told the ISU recently. “I am still in Japan but I am able to skate, to practise a lot and I am having a great time every day.” [...]
The impact of COVID-19 means legendary Canadian choreographer Lori Nichol can only join her on Zoom but backed by exhortations to “skate big” and “fly”, Miyahara is adamant she is loving the challenge. Her new Short Program [to Lyra Angelica] is her “favourite ever” and she cannot wait to share that sense of joy with an audience.
“Once the music turns on I can feel the whole speed of this Program and special moment of this Program,” she said.
The Kyoto native is set to skate as much as possible between now and Beijing 2022. Debilitating nerves have made her feel “shaky” and “stiff” on the ice in the past, but as she told The Ice Skating Podcast, she has found a solution with a change of approach and focus.
“I think I am a totally different person. I mean I am myself but I think it’s a really different person compared to three years ago,” she said.
“I think I can find something new going towards the Olympics.”
She is entered in the ISU CS Autumn Classic International, Sept. 16-18, in Pierrefond, QC.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie

Sylvia

TBD
JSF announced today (refer to the Japanese skating news thread in GSD for an article link) that their skaters will not compete outside of Japan for a while :( - Satoko is no longer listed for Autumn Classic Int'l and this info was just posted in GSD:
Satoko Miyahara will be very disappointed that she cannot return to Canada. She tried to re-enter Canada and then the U.S. following Worlds but was not allowed to do so and reluctantly went back to Japan. I heard that everyone at the Granite Club was excited she was returning. Really unfortunate situation for her.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Having seen Satoko skate well at Gensan Summer Cup while training with Takeshi Honda, I wonder if this might not turn out to be a blessing in disguise! Maybe it'll turn out he's the best coach for her after all. We'll see ....

greenapple

Having seen Satoko skate well at Gensan Summer Cup while training with Takeshi Honda, I wonder if this might not turn out to be a blessing in disguise! Maybe it'll turn out he's the best coach for her after all. We'll see ....
Well, hopefully Miyahara is happy with her coaching arrangement and it all works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information