The Satoko Miyahara fan thread - "This is a start in the true sense"

ToFarAwayTimes

I'm heartbroken for Satoko. When she started on seniors I thought she was the most lovely skater to watch out of this generation, her tiny jumps not withstanding. If there is an artist on the ice out of any of them it is Miss Miyahara. She did start out skating small, it was a fair knock on her. But you know what? She worked on it and got better. Her jumps in this Olympic competition were noticeably higher than I've seen her do a couple years ago. Another Japanese skater even posted that he's been measuring them and they had gotten 5cm higher. I think she's amazing and she skated so incredibly well in both programs. It doesn't even seem fair she could come in 4th.

Bellanca

Very few skaters perform as beautifully as Tiny Queen does. I genuinely hope that Satoko is seriously entertaining competing for another full quad. I believe that she still has so much more to offer and contribute to the sport. Satoko is one of my/our all-time favorite skaters, and always will be. What memorable and sensational Olympic programs she had! Lovely, just lovely. :respec:

love skating

Clueless American
Her performance last night was my favorite of the night - wish she was on the podium. Maybe I'm crazy cause I'd have her above Osmond. Yeah I know her jumps are small but no one moves like her either.

Like the Russians, she has a whole bunch of Japanese youngsters behind her so competition will be fierce but who knows, her quality will shine.

Sylvia

TBD
I feel so fortunate to have witnessed Satoko's lovely performances in person at 2017 Skate America and am very happy she skated so well at her first Olympics in PyeongChang! :) Thanks for posting the article link, @Wyliefan! Excerpt from the end:
"While I was out injured I went through some tough times, but on my return to competition I found out how enjoyable it is to be able to do my best in each and every one," said Miyahara.
"I think I was able to express my thanks to all of the people that have supported me with this skate today."
Asked what she needed to improve moving forward, Miyahara said, "The quality of my jumps and liveliness of my program. I want to go to the next Olympics (in Beijing in 2022) and I want to go there with even more determination to win a medal."

umronnie

Time to bump this up.
How amazing was Satoko @ Skate America? Two fantastic programs, gorgeous costume (truly she has the best costumes in the field) and sublime skating.

Why are the judges so stingy with her PCS? Her jumps are small bet they are getting better, and they are dinged in TES, anyway. Her edges are superb, her musicality and attention to detail on par with Kostner and she is rock solid. I cannot for the life of me see what Zagitova and Medvedeva have that Satoko lacks (it's more the other way arouns, imho), other than a Russian passport.

annie_mg

Count me in as one of those who think Satoko should be getting the highest PCS out of all the ladies out there. Maybe the judges are not convinced yet? It took them a long time until they 'got' that Kostner deserved high PCS. Here's hoping it'll happen!

tamms

Congrats to the Tiny Queen! Both skates were wonderful and I’m so happy for her!

Her PCS has always been lowballed for some reason. And that level 3 for her step sequence in the long program? Laughable. Not sure what it will take for the judges to see what we see in her skating, but I am just glad she wasn’t dinged for underrotations again. I can see that she has been working hard on avoiding that. Her jumps get stronger each time.

giselle23

Robbed again in PCS. Satoko is the only true artist among ladies skaters currently. (Not sure if Kostner is coming back but can I say, I think her artistry is over-rated?) PCS, of course, doesn't directly reward artistry, but she should be getting the top score in P/E and I.

danibellerika

At SA Satoko was a woman among girls. The short is sublime and the long is lovely too. I've been looking for someone who could move me the way Kwan did and I think Satoko fits that bill easily.

Cosign all of this except instead of Kwan, for me it's Cohen. But what I wouldn't give for Sasha to have had half of Satoko's consistency. I'm going to the GPF and I REALLY want to see Satoko live so I am THRILLED that she was able to win Skate America and bring herself that much closer to qualifying. Hoping she can manage at least a silver at NHK and then onward and upward!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information