The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

montrealsurfa

Banned Member
Happy 3rd anniversary to Mao for her Sochi LP which is the greatest performance I have ever seen and the reason I am on this forum. Every time I watch, the great ebb and flow of emotions are an awe inspiring tidal surge washing in from the ocean which mix turbulence and tranquility into a grandiose synergy that make tears well up in my eyes like the swelling tides. February 20, 2017

I agree and I wish she had gotten a 155 for it, even if she still didnt get a medal since that was just for that skate. The score was downright insulting but I dont even care anymore. Everyone knows the scoring of Sochi ladies was garbage in general and Slopnitkova is only the start of it, but Mao's amazing performance still brings tears to my eyes.

gotoschool

I agree and I wish she had gotten a 155 for it, even if she still didnt get a medal since that was just for that skate. The score was downright insulting but I dont even care anymore. Everyone knows the scoring of Sochi ladies was garbage in general and Slopnitkova is only the start of it, but Mao's amazing performance still brings tears to my eyes.

I agree on Mao's score in her Sochi was too low and that it should have broken a world record and won the freeskate comfortably, but I did like Adelina's performance and respect her ability. Plus, it is the judges that give the scores, though I admit I do get upset anytime I think Mao has been underscored which is frequently as my post history shows. I don't want to get into it but to me Mao was underscored compared to a lot of skaters at Sochi. Plus, Mao and Adelina are good friends and Adelina admires Mao a whole lot, so they both think very highly of each other as their hug at the Japan Open 2015 and their pictures together show. So, I am sure that Mao would like people to be kind to Adelina.

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...0000230702_RTRMADP_3_FIGURE-SKATING-JAPAN.JPG

http://cdnweb01.wikitree.co.kr/webdata/editor/201407/25/img_20140725150738_99c4305d.jpg

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Trashing Adelina here and there such as on Mao's and Caro's cheer thread? meh :yawn:

gotoschool

Here is a great 1440 ultra HD copy of Mao's magnificent Madame Butterfly performance at Worlds 2016. I am beginning to see this performance as one of Mao's very best. I can't make it through without breaking into tears when Mao hits the triple flip / double loop / double loop tano, and then into the triple loop and step sequence, spread eagle and what to me is the most expressive and intricate ending pose I have ever seen. A rich tapestry of genuine melancholy woven delicately with threads of painstaking ballet that nonetheless appear effortless, as if her consummate grace were innate because it had accumulated from such a young age. To me, though athletics is the medium of expression, this transcends the empirical dimension of muscle and transports me into an ideal world of beauty where spirit is embodied in lovely fluidity: a precious rarity to be treasured forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUXq2PVNNE

Last edited:

gotoschool

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here are the best versions of Mao's Rach II at Sochi I can find without an actual direct recording of the event, which were posted just a couple of days ago. I have already said how much I love this performance many times. It is an archetype of beauty, grandeur, athletic elegance, forcefulness and emotional resonance. The versions claim to be 4K but to be honest they lack the clarity a bit of the ones I posted above. Still, these are the best versions on youtube and they have rich and deep color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hob5DEkR9U no commentary I think this is the best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Q1XxNrdTg Tarasova commentary

and an outstanding copy of Mao's Rach II at Worlds which is almost as great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGFt2H3WKoU

Here is an outstanding version of Mao's 2007 Worlds LP, one of my favorites from Mao and so emotional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiTzRinN4_c

Here is a great copy of Mao's snazzy and jazzy Sing Sing performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5JtZRJvIO0

Dream Girls 2008 another great copy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5rSr0noJg

Last edited:

gotoschool

Really Happy to find this one just posted: Mao's Worlds Bells of Moscow 1080. One of my favorites, though it is not quite as sharp a picture as I would like, it is still a very good copy . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUYRb2mAns

Here is a great copy of Mao's Scheherazade SP from Cup of Russia 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tukACEW3DMI

It appears that quite a few video posters on youtube are missing Mao terribly a lot (like me) and want people to watch her past performances in the best possible quality to bring back the wonderful memories. In the last couple of weeks, this is the most HD and ultra HD videos I have ever seen posted.

Last edited:

chapis

Really Happy to find this one just posted: Mao's Worlds Bells of Moscow 1080. One of my favorites, though it is not quite as sharp a picture as I would like, it is still a very good copy . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUYRb2mAns

It appears that quite a few video posters on youtube posters are missing Mao a lot (like me) and want people to watch her past performances in the best possible quality to bring back the wonderful memories. This is the most HD and ultra HD videos I have ever seen posted in the last couple of weeks.

Simply perfection!!!!, I still got goosebumps watching it :swoon::wuzrobbed.

alexikeguchi

Here is a great 1440 ultra HD copy of Mao's magnificent Madame Butterfly performance at Worlds 2016. I am beginning to see this performance as one of Mao's very best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUXq2PVNNE

Thank you so much for posting. This performance is 50% of why I planned to attend Worlds last year (with Hanyu's Seimei being the other 50% though it turned out not to be his best). As soon as I saw her premiere this program at Japan Open (once video became available), I felt that she had a special relationship to and understanding of the music and that if I could only see her skate live once before she retires, this was the program. Though I could tell in real time that some of her jumps were a little short of rotation and thought that her score was fair, her performance quality was absolutely mesmerizing. Her reaction as the music ended and the audience erupted into applause was so moving, and I get teary-eyed watching it again just like you. Since I was sitting up in the rafters, it was lovely to see a closeup of her facial expressions, which so beautifully captured the emotion.

gotoschool

Thank you so much for posting. This performance is 50% of why I planned to attend Worlds last year (with Hanyu's Seimei being the other 50% though it turned out not to be his best). As soon as I saw her premiere this program at Japan Open (once video became available), I felt that she had a special relationship to and understanding of the music and that if I could only see her skate live once before she retires, this was the program. Though I could tell in real time that some of her jumps were a little short of rotation and thought that her score was fair, her performance quality was absolutely mesmerizing. Her reaction as the music ended and the audience erupted into applause was so moving, and I get teary-eyed watching it again just like you. Since I was sitting up in the rafters, it was lovely to see a closeup of her facial expressions, which so beautifully captured the emotion.

I am glad you liked the performance so much and that it moved you so deeply and I think everyone should have their own opinion about the fairness of scores, but I disagree that Mao was scored fairly. Mao's performance means so much to me and I have analyzed the tech calls of her and other skaters thoroughly and felt a well spring of emotions I have honestly not felt from any other skater's program. And to me, this should translate into much more in scores and a much better placement. To me, it was the best performance. I cannot accept a performance of such grandeur receiving a heavily deflated 7th place overall with a distant 4th place PCS: the performance of a prima ballerina with such a rare combination of refined restraint and passionate abandon with consummate artistry, steps and skating skills and challenging and landing such difficult tech elements as the triple axel, triple flip and loop and triple flip / double loop / double loop tano. Many others have expressed this on forums and beneath Mao's videos, even my mother said this was the most beautiful performance she had ever seen.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here is the latest 4K video of Mao's performances (Mao's Skate America LP) with that great choreograhic and step sequence : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NcLBelXUY

I wish Mao the best in her quest for happiness including my dearest hope that she succeeds in her dream of being on the Olympic team in 2018. But whatever happens, she will always be my favorite skater and her placement and scores are completely separate from the immense admiration I have for her and her skating. For me, she transcends the scoring system and offers a rare vision of ideal beauty and a wonderful spirit world that helps me forget the problems of daily life for a moment, while at others she seems to dramatize the conflicts I face and purge the negative emotion in a cathartic moment of release. She helps me see how beautiful, inspirational and genuine things in this world can truly be but never reveals the true source of her mystery, so her artistry continues to captivate me endlessly, like trying to unravel a rich tapestry embroidered with a brilliant rainbow of emotions, which reflects the full spectrum of experience. This spiritual gift can't be quantified and, therefore, is worth infinitely more to me than any score.

Last edited:

gotoschool

I loved her Swan Lake in 2013. Where did she perform it best?

This is an excellent performance of Mao's Swan Lake I don't hear mentioned that often at 4CC's, which I think was her most impressive technically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3zf0D3M1sk

I also loved the way her performance at Worlds gained momentum and seemed to mirror so well the contrasting melancholy and frolicking mood of the music, though Mao did that well in all these performances. Here is a 4K version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCHdQFKDzlA

and she also did a really beautiful performance at the Grand Prix Final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqhR03-iQ0

text_skate

Here is the latest 4K video of Mao's performances (Mao's Skate America LP) with that great choreograhic and step sequence : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NcLBelXUY
Thanks. It's my favourite program of the season: music, choreography, transitions, steps, spins. I somehow hope, she'll keep it for the next season (probably not the best move strategy-wise). But: I'd like to see it with all the jumps with Mao in top form. [sigh]

gotoschool

Are there any updates on Mao's condition or her training?

I check for news about Mao fairly regularly by putting her name in google search translated into Japanese and using google translate but all I have been able to get about her current condition is that she was planning on taking a long time off to focus on treatment and getting a fairly early start on the season, though to be honest I am even unsure of the accuracy of this. I do know that she has a skating event for her sponsor, ARSOA, planned in Nagoya in August and I guess word for The Ice should follow at some point. My hope is she keeps her skating or jumping load a little lighter in the lead up to the season, though she has to train her elements so I hope she keeps a balance. I think the icing of her knee that began at Cup of China turned out to be a lot more serious and chronic than it appeared at first, so I hope she is taking this extra time to heal as it sounds like she is from the article I translated, though again I am unsure.

Miki89

I'm concerned Mao's path to the Olympics is going to get harder if Japan loses one spot. Hopefully, JSF makes it a little easier for her to qualify for nationals. Other Feds have done it in the past for veteran stars trying one last time to go to the Olympics. Her presence there will make a great story regardless whether she medals or not. Her fans would want to see her final Olympic performances. From what I saw at nationals, she still had many fans there to support her. Not saying that she should get special treatment over others at Nationals. But from I read before, it's not certain she will get 2 GP assignments and may need to go through sectionals. I also read somewhere that she will need to win Nats to get on the team. That seems a bit much if true.

chapis

I'm concerned Mao's path to the Olympics is going to get harder if Japan loses one spot. Hopefully, JSF makes it a little easier for her to qualify for nationals. Other Feds have done it in the past for veteran stars trying one last time to go to the Olympics. Her presence there will make a great story regardless whether she medals or not. Her fans would want to see her final Olympic performances. From what I saw at nationals, she still had many fans there to support her. Not saying that she should get special treatment over others at Nationals. But from I read before, it's not certain she will get 2 GP assignments and may need to go through sectionals. I also read somewhere that she will need to win Nats to get on the team. That seems a bit much if true.

It is very probable that she will be invited to NHK, and other country would be happy to invite her too. But other than that, I don´t think that the federation will do much for her, if she receives a special treatment I am pretty sure that it won´t be to her benefit.
There are some criteria to make the team, not necessary to win nationals, if she has a bad first half of the season but she wins nationals, of course she makes the team, according to the criteria.

If Japan lose the 3rd spot, I just hope she does not lost the motivation.
Mao is an icon of the sport not only in Japan, but around of the world. I don't want a special treatment for her to decide Korea but I think if she does not earn a spot for the olympics it would be nice of the federation give her a spot for Worlds, as a last chance to say good bye, if she wants.

Miki89

It is very probable that she will be invited to NHK, and other country would be happy to invite her too. But other than that, I don´t think that the federation will do much for her, if she receives a special treatment I am pretty sure that it won´t be to her benefit.
There are some criteria to make the team, not necessary to win nationals, if she has a bad first half of the season but she wins nationals, of course she makes the team, according to the criteria.

If Japan lose the 3rd spot, I just hope she does not lost the motivation.
Mao is an icon of the sport not only in Japan, but around of the world. I don't want a special treatment for her to decide Korea but I think if she does not earn a spot for the olympics it would be nice of the federation give her a spot for Worlds, as a last chance to say good bye, if she wants.

Will she be invited to NHK? She wasn't this year. And with both Satoko and Marin, I am not so sure. I think she could get at least one GP. I just hope she does not need to go through sectionals. I don't think it's good for anyone, including other skaters there. I can just see the press making a lot of fuss about it. This could all be a moot point because no one is really sure about Mao's plans for next year. The last we heard from her was in December and it did not seem like she was so certain about her plans next season, despite misleading titles on some English articles I read after nationals. I think it is a "wait and see" for her team at this point. Mao knows more than anyone that she needs to bring her A game to have a chance to make the team. I think her motivation to continue will depend on her condition and the options she will be given to make the team. I really hope she gets to have one last good competition, no matter the event.

I wish they brought back Pro-Am competitions. There are so many veteran skaters who still have so much to offer in terms of skating skills and artistry, but can no longer be competitive in terms of jumps, so they really have no choice but to retire. Daisuke is one prime example. :(

chapis

Will she be invited to NHK? She wasn't this year. And with both Satoko and Marin, I am not so sure. I think she could get at least one GP. I just hope she does not need to go through sectionals. I don't think it's good for anyone, including other skaters there. I can just see the press making a lot of fuss about it. This could all be a moot point because no one is really sure about Mao's plans for next year. The last we heard from her was in December and it did not seem like she was so certain about her plans next season, despite misleading titles on some English articles I read after nationals. I think it is a "wait and see" for her team at this point. Mao knows more than anyone that she needs to bring her A game to have a chance to make the team. I think her motivation to continue will depend on her condition and the options she will be given to make the team. I really hope she gets to have one last good competition, no matter the event.

I wish they brought back Pro-Am competitions. There are so many veteran skaters who still have so much to offer in terms of skating skills and artistry, but can no longer be competitive in terms of jumps, so they really have no choice but to retire. Daisuke is one prime example. :(

last year Mao did not need it because she had the 2 assignaments, I want to believe that if they know that Satoko and Marin have 2 gp somewhere and Mao needs an invitation they would incline toward Mao, and Mao would not affect the attendance, at the contrary, but of course is possible that they ignore her. I guess you have less faith in the JSF than me, and that's saying a lot :lol:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information