The Johnny Weir Skating Academy?

Sylvia

TBD
From the local DE article on Johnny Weir, linked in post #36:
In Weir's first number, he'll skate to Radiohead's "Creep." The version he'll use for the show is performed by a contestant on "Eurovision Song Contest" on Peacock, for which Weir is a host.
"Creep" filmed by a fan at last night's show: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqeuhERJh9U/

Johnny's DWTS partner, Britt Stewart, made the trip to watch her partner skate. :)

YukiNieve

A good friend of mine attended Johnny's final shows and has been tweeting about them.
Johnny's parents were there for entire 2 days, Gracie for the 1st day and Priscilla for the 2nd day.

Creep (3/31/23)

Clair de Lune (4/1/23)
This was the very last performance that Johnny did in the US. After the performance he hugged his mom.:cry:
His brother and 2 yrs old nephew were there, too.

At the meeting and greeting, Johnny talked about his Academy which will aim at raising Olympic-level skaters. There will be 3 coaches, including Johnny and Gracie Gold.:eek: Patti will be involved in the management.

Last edited:

Lacey

And also, the Gracie connection makes me think the Johnny School might possibly be located at Aston, where Gracie trained last. Don't know if he will bring in Gracie's last coach, could perhaps be someone more elite and artistic. But knowing Gracie's and Johnny's styles, I am very excited that they might turn out some beautiful skating for their students. I think we're talking elegant posture, great height on jumps, and graceful arms and creative programs. My not very well educated opinion makes me think the Wilmington Johnny adores might be too busy to fit them in session-wise. And Aston is a big facility with more ice sheets and time. I can't wait to find out how this all plays out.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I for one applaud this move. We need some new blood in singles coaching centers and Johnny certainly has a lot of experience competing under IJS and his years of commentating has kept him abreast of the rules. As for developmental level, it remains to be seen but why doubt his abilities before we’ve seen what he can do. The group lessons sound promising and an adaptation of real world needs.

AYS

🌻
I wasn't paying close attention to the announcements about the show, I would have gone if I could.

I haven't been much of a fan of Johnny's announcing (although even less so of his sidekick), but he's a brilliant skater and very knowledgeable about the sport and I wish him great success with his Academy. I look forward to seeing him and his students competing in the area, since I assume he'll be around this general area.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

Yuri

And also, the Gracie connection makes me think the Johnny School might possibly be located at Aston, where Gracie trained last. Don't know if he will bring in Gracie's last coach, could perhaps be someone more elite and artistic. But knowing Gracie's and Johnny's styles, I am very excited that they might turn out some beautiful skating for their students. I think we're talking elegant posture, great height on jumps, and graceful arms and creative programs. My not very well educated opinion makes me think the Wilmington Johnny adores might be too busy to fit them in session-wise. And Aston is a big facility with more ice sheets and time. I can't wait to find out how this all plays out.
Natalia Linichuk's recent return to Russia to coach would open up an opportunity in Aston PA for someone like Johnny who has embraced the way they train their figure skaters. I think Natalia also had been coaching a bit in Newark DE (not at U Delaware, whatever they call The Pond these days), so both of those locations would be convenient from where he lives just north of downtown Wilmington DE.

Sylvia

TBD
Johnny's thank you post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqkq1AZOC4K/
3.April.2023 This past weekend I performed publicly for the last time in America. It is difficult to sum up a lifetime of work coming to a close in just a few emotions or words but gratitude is certainly among them. I am thankful this sport found me, I am proud of what I was able to achieve and I am so very thankful for the people who went along on this journey with me. At the end of my performance Saturday, I had this special moment in the spotlights with my VIP, my Mama, with my Papa, brother, nephew, grandmother, dearest Aunt, first coach and some of my closest friends nearby & I am just so thankful to the people who raised me, taught me and empowered me to be everything I was supposed to be. Thank you to everyone who came to Wilmington, braving the tornado warning and felled trees to share in such a special night of my life.
#figureskating #family #gratitude

Delawareonline.com has some nice photos of Johnny's two numbers in their gallery (link is posted in the Club shows thread here): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-club-ice-shows-benefits.110383/#post-6419964

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article with quotes from Johnny about the plans for his skating academy (April 6):
"We're still very much in the beginning stages," he said. "I want my school to be one that's filled with love and support and wellness, and making sure that everybody is doing everything the healthy and supported way, and the strongest way they possible can."
Weir stressed that, while a bridge program for youngsters graduating from learn-to-skate is planned, the academy's primary focus will be training elite athletes.
"The main gig, the main job is to help people go to the Olympics or to the World Championships, if that's what they want," he said. "But at the same time, the ice will be split into two groups, like juveniles working on double Axels and a higher-level group (with jumps) after double Axel."
Two-time U.S. champion Gracie Gold has signed on to coach alongside him, Weir said, and he is trying to recruit another friend. Together, they will form what he called a "loving, soft cashmere sort" of team.
"We will train people in a group format and have that sense of camaraderie and teamwork and supporting each other," Weir said. "I will have two people alongside to help me and to travel to competitions, so that I could commentate (but also) be sure that somebody is always there with my students."

Last edited:

skipaway

Fan Zone article with quotes from Johnny about the plans for his skating academy (April 6):
Two-time U.S. champion Gracie Gold has signed on to coach alongside him, Weir said, and he is trying to recruit another friend. Together, they will form what he called a "loving, soft cashmere sort" of team.
"We will train people in a group format and have that sense of camaraderie and teamwork and supporting each other," Weir said. "I will have two people alongside to help me and to travel to competitions, so that I could commentate (but also) be sure that somebody is always there with my students."

They better have some strategies to deal with “work ethic” issues. Those can be quite hard to manage.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Has Johnny been coaching at all? Managing a business ever? Those are my two biggest concerns. What he describes in what Sylvia quoted sounds wonderful. . . but I'm skeptical and will wait to see what materializes. A great skater doesn't always make a great coach.
Also I agree with some upthread posters that a dietician should be involved. Johnny himself admitted he was awful with nutrition and I'm sure that affected his abilities.

Yuri

That's awesome news that Johnny is opening up his academy at his own home rink at the Skating Club of Wilmington! SCW has an amazing legacy since the days that Ron Ludington headed the figure skating program with so many Olympians and national medalists. Hopefully Johnny and his coaching team will bring SCW back into the game!

Taso

That's awesome news that Johnny is opening up his academy at his own home rink at the Skating Club of Wilmington! SCW has an amazing legacy since the days that Ron Ludington headed the figure skating program with so many Olympians and national medalists. Hopefully Johnny and his coaching team will bring SCW back into the game!
Would make so many happy!

That's also a fabulously easy drive from Centerville for him. No need to deal with I95, and super easy for folks who do.

Debbie S

Very exciting news for the SC of Wilmington.
It wouldn't surprise me if the club approached Johnny about starting a program there. They've been missing an elite coach/program since Viktor Pfeifer left for CO. Johnny has roots in the area and has close ties to the club/rink, so this is a win-win for both.

On his IG, he said he would also be running the club's bridge program, so it sounds like his coaching/mgmt will encompass all levels, not just elite.

YukiNieve

Today (6/25/23) will be the last day that Johnny will skate professionally - the last day on Fantasy on Ice shows.
Skaters from the show held a wish-well party for Johnny and Nobunari, Yuzuru and Johnny were al in tears. :cry:

Sylvia

TBD
Head Coach announced today - Megan Williams-Stewart (currently coaching in Aston, PA): https://www.instagram.com/p/CseEVRErj0a/

January 2023 USFS article:
Link to listen to Anna Kellar's recent podcast conversation with Megan: https://futureoffigureskating.pinecast.co/episode/46ad6f24/megan-williams-stewart
"... Since retiring in 2009, Megan has worked as a coach and recently announced she’ll join the new Johnny Weir Skating Academy in the fall."

JWSA Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/johnnyweirskatingacademy/

Gracie is not involved, AFAIK (her name is no longer mentioned in the Fan Zone article I had excerpted originally in post #75).

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I guess that Gracie will be aiming to get one of the two SkAm TBD slots, perhaps by skating great at a couple of early Challengers?
Pfffft. Not likely, seeing that she's been wearing a boot recently.

I really wish people would focus on the younger skaters, like Ziegler, Seo and Harrell instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information