The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

I feel that the glove in the RD has got to go, and then I may be able to watch it with a more open heart & mind;). Also maybe the Krylova Carmen leap:rofl:.

Nmsis

I feel that the glove in the RD has got to go, and then I may be able to watch it with a more open heart & mind;). Also maybe the Krylova Carmen leap:rofl:.
LOL :biggrinbo
I looove the glove AND the leap. :p
I love playful Arribert and her delirious latin costumes as much as I love her fairy tales costumes or her skeleton/zombies/witches/ magicians/Halloween costumes.
The costumes are part of the package.
And through the years, she got us rid of the russian flowing chiffon dresses, large romantic male shirts.
She tried to bring the sarouel and the hakama in ice dance but the ice-dance authorities said : NO
She gave us bare male shoulders, tight upper body male costumes, hoods.
She tried other silhouettes for women.
She's lately focusing on backs (male and female) and hips (female).
She has had such an important role in ice dance clothing evolution since 2004 that I even forgive her some very early (VERY) unfortunate try (OMG I'm blind :rofl: and yes, as far as ballroom is concerned, she embrasses the kitsch and the fun of it)

For the person who wanted to know who the hunky guy in the KnC is, that's Mahil Chantelauze, former student of Mrs Papadakis in Clermont-Ferrand and ex training mate of Gabriella and Guillaume. He started coaching in Villard last year.

Last edited:

Dobre

I hate the glove. The rest of the costumes and the choreo are all very French. And I'd rather have this wacky style, even for a Latin program, than something boring; but I find the glove super distracting.

chantilly

I really want to get on board the Lajoie and Laugha train, but I just can't. I think the beginning section of music in their RD is awful. It sounds like what you might here while doing Dance Dance revolution.

They are lovely and fine skaters but she continually does this weird thing with her mouth when she skates and I find it super distracting. She also in my opinion lacks personality and prescence on the ice. He on the other hand has tons of personality. I definitely like watching him. I don't think latin dance particularly suits them either.

I was hoping that they would start to wow me this year but I am not feeling it. Frankly I hope Piper and Paul and the Danadians deliver this season as I think Lajoie and Laugh and Soucisse and Firus, even with their improved material, just aren't enough.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I really want to get on board the Lajoie and Laugha train, but I just can't. I think the beginning section of music in their RD is awful. It sounds like what you might here while doing Dance Dance revolution.

They are lovely and fine skaters but she continually does this weird thing with her mouth when she skates and I find it super distracting. She also in my opinion lacks personality and prescence on the ice. He on the other hand has tons of personality. I definitely like watching him. I don't think latin dance particularly suits them either.

I was hoping that they would start to wow me this year but I am not feeling it. Frankly I hope Piper and Paul and the Danadians deliver this season as I think Lajoie and Laugh and Soucisse and Firus, even with their improved material, just aren't enough.
The good news is that the junior team who just won Gdansk JGP could pass them both in a year or two.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The good news is that the junior team who just won Gdansk JGP could pass them both in a year or two.
To be honest, I have no hopes for any Canadian junior team overtaking anyone in seniors in a year or two. People were saying that Lajoie/Lagha would have pushed to the top of Canadian seniors by now back when they won Jr Worlds, and right now, all I see is them languishing in the 12-15 range at Worlds, which is not a good thing. They might move up to top 10 this season, but there are a lot of other teams in that same range who haven't even debuted yet this season and could push ahead of L/L. I don't think Bashynska/Beaumont are going to necessarily fare any better when they do make the move to seniors - and they might not have done themselves the favor they thought they were doing by remaining junior this season what with the tremendous improvement of Mrazkova/Mrazek and some of the other junior teams internationally.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I happen to like BarBeau much more than I’ve ever liked the two older teams, but that and $4 will get Bar/Beau on the subway. :)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I really like Bashynska/Beaumont. I've liked them ever since I first watched them. But I think they'll probably have to make the long slow climb up tbe senior ranks just like most other juniors have done after making the transition.

Colonel Green

I don't think Bashynska/Beaumont are going to necessarily fare any better when they do make the move to seniors - and they might not have done themselves the favor they thought they were doing by remaining junior this season what with the tremendous improvement of Mrazkova/Mrazek and some of the other junior teams internationally.
I doubt they were expecting to automatically dominate at the junior level this season to begin with, but as it stands after one JGP they have the second-best score of a junior team (and not by a small margin), and they've gone a pretty solid margin over the teams behind them.

Staying junior means JGP medals, the JGP Final, and a home Junior Worlds. If they had gone senior they'd be fortunate to get one Grand Prix, and their season would be over at nationals.

Karen-W

I doubt they were expecting to automatically dominate at the junior level this season to begin with, but as it stands after one JGP they have the second-best score of a junior team (and not by a small margin), and they've gone a pretty solid margin over the teams behind them.

Staying junior means JGP medals, the JGP Final, and a home Junior Worlds. If they had gone senior they'd be fortunate to get one Grand Prix, and their season would be over at nationals.
Why do you presume they would have received one GP? Both the Browns and Wolfkostin/Chen received two GPs and the US has more established senior teams vying for GP berths. I am pretty confident that Bashynska/Beaumont would have received two GPs.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think Skate Canada would have asked them if they wished to compete at Jr Worlds. I realize it would require a completely separate RD, which would be a challenge, but they might have been willing to take that on, knowing what an honor it is to compete at a home Jr Worlds and that they're likely Canada's best and only shot at a medal at said home Jr Worlds.

Regardless of all that, I think everyone is getting way ahead of themselves in thinking that B/B are going to leap ahead of a bunch of established Canadian senior teams as soon as they make the move up to seniors. It is possible, sure, but it's just as likely they won't make it past enough of those teams to be in the top 3 by 2025 or 2026 - and that's presuming that one or both of GilPoir and FBSor have retired after Montreal Worlds, which is also not a guarantee. I fully expect that at least one of those teams will decide "oh, it's only two more years" after 2024 and push on to Milano.

barbarafan

I'd guess any Russian athletes right now are at least considering, or have considered, their international options. Like Davis & Smolkin, Z&G would need a release.
I repeat...if ban continues Russian Federation should not be in charge of Russian skaters being released after their yr. of not competing for Russia. The ISU should be in charge. They need to set up a vote for members to vote on so it is official. Then if at some point Russia changes from an inhuman war machine to a decent country of human beings they can vote to give back the right to Russia.

Colonel Green

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think Skate Canada would have asked them if they wished to compete at Jr Worlds. I realize it would require a completely separate RD, which would be a challenge, but they might have been willing to take that on, knowing what an honor it is to compete at a home Jr Worlds and that they're likely Canada's best and only shot at a medal at said home Jr Worlds.
If they want to vie for gold (or another medal) at Junior Worlds, there's not really much value in spending the first half of the season training a different program just to finish ninth or tenth at a Grand Prix or two. Plus, they've never won the junior national title.

RoseRed

It's also not like they've already dominated in juniors. They haven't been to the JGPF. They'd won (edit) two JGP bronze medals in different seasons. They got bronze at Junior Worlds, not gold. They could have moved up, but staying in junior in their position is totally normal.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Looking over the remaining two JGP assignments, it looks like the only remaining drama as far as Final qualification goes is likely to be whether Gauthier/Thieren can squeak past Fradji/Fourneaux for the sixth berth. They’re likely to end up with the same placements, so it’s down to cumulative scores.

Andrea82

Looking over the remaining two JGP assignments, it looks like the only remaining drama as far as Final qualification goes is likely to be whether Gauthier/Thieren can squeak past Fradji/Fourneaux for the sixth berth. They’re likely to end up with the same placements, so it’s down to cumulative scores.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Karankevich/ Kudryavtseva beating G/T in Egna. At 2022 Jr Worlds K/K weren't far behind Germans and Koreans.

Karen-W

I wouldn't bet on Gauthier/Thieren finishing with the same placements as Fradji/Forneaux. They are assigned to Egna, which should have Mrazkova/Mrazek, Lim/Quan, Kudryavsteva/Karankevich and Neset/Markelov. Even if NesMark wind up withdrawing, I don't see GauThie beating one of those other three teams.

Now, it could get interesting/dicey for the last couple spots depending on where KudKar place next week at Baltic Cup, which also has Bashynka/Beaumont and Grimm/Savitskiy.

RoseRed

If they end up with the same placements, I think Gauthier/Thieren have a very good chance of making it. Their first score was a good amount higher than Fradji/Fourneaux's, and the last JGP is going to be competitive, so I think if they manage bronze there, they'll have the score they need. They would only need a 147.86, and I'd be surprised to see them get bronze with a score below that, given how many strong teams will be at Egna. I think G/T getting 3rd is possible, but challenging.

Mrazkova/Mrazek would be expected to win, and then there are Lim/Quan, Kudryavsteva/Karakevich and Neset/Markelov, in addition to Gauthier/Thieren. We haven't seen K/K or N/M yet this season, so it's hard to know how they'll both score. We don't know exactly what the situation with Neset/Markelov is with their WD from JGP 6 and whether that was a Visa issue or an injury or something. So it's possible they won't end up competing, or won't be at their best. Either way, I think it'll be very comeptitive for the medals.

RoseRed

I wouldn't bet on Gauthier/Thieren finishing with the same placements as Fradji/Forneaux. They are assigned to Egna, which should have Mrazkova/Mrazek, Lim/Quan, Kudryavsteva/Karankevich and Neset/Markelov. Even if NesMark wind up withdrawing, I don't see GauThie beating one of those other three teams.

Now, it could get interesting/dicey for the last couple spots depending on where KudKar place next week at Baltic Cup, which also has Bashynka/Beaumont and Grimm/Savitskiy.
I think beating one of them is possible, though I'm not betting on it. Their RD scores have been strong this season (they've beat Bashynska/Beaumont, Lim/Quan and Grimm/Savitsky so far in that segment) and they did beat Lim/Quan overall at the Quebec Summer Skate. Again, I'm predicting Lim/Quan to beat them in Egna (and probably K/K to do so as well). Just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for it to go the other way.

Karen-W

I think beating one of them is possible, though I'm not betting on it. Their RD scores have been strong this season (they've beat Bashynska/Beaumont, Lim/Quan and Grimm/Savitsky so far in that segment) and they did beat Lim/Quan overall at the Quebec Summer Skate. Again, I'm predicting Lim/Quan to beat them in Egna (and probably K/K to do so as well). Just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for it to go the other way.
My take on the early GPs is that Courchevel seemed to be a bit under-scored and Mrazkova/Mrazek got a big, home-team boost in Ostrava, plus, another 6 weeks of training should give Lim/Quan a sizable score boost in Egna. Presuming NesMark do make it to Egna, that's another team that GauThie will need to overcome for the podium. It's not that it's impossible, but maybe highly unlikely that GauThie place 3rd or higher and grab that final JGPF spot. The stronger likelihood is that KudKar finish 3rd in both their events and FraForn qualify for the JGPF, but if KudKar can manage to beat either BashBeau and/or GriSav this coming week, then all bets are off.

For what it's worth, I think there is a stronger chance of KudKar beating one or both of those teams as well as the Koreans in Egna, than GauThie beating them in Egna. 3rd through 8th at Jr Worlds last year were within 5 points of each other, which is the same points differential between 2nd & 3rd at the same competition. Of the three teams back on the JGP so far (KudKar are #4), they've improved their Jr Worlds score by 13 points (BashBeau) and 7 points (LimQuan & GriSav). We'll have to see where KudKar land on that spectrum, but if they make a 9 or 10 point improvement, then they likely will beat the Koreans & Germans in coming weeks.

Right now, we have:
Bekker/Hernandez - 13+13 = 26
Fradji/Forneaux - 13+11 = 24
Mrazkova/Mrazek - 15+ (15 probably) = 30
Bashynska/Beaumont - 15+ (15 probably) = 30
Lim/Quan - 15+
Grimm/Savitskiy - 15+
Gauthier/Thieren - 13+
Kudryavsteva/Karankevich -

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Is it possible Neset/Markelov withdrew from Gdańsk because he can’t enter Poland on a Russian passport?

Karen-W

Is it possible Neset/Markelov withdrew from Gdańsk because he can’t enter Poland on a Russian passport?
It's possible. But, the USFS also doesn't usually wait until the 2nd half of the JGP to assign their top skaters to their first event unless there's some sort of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information