The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

coralline

@Andrea82 , From what I can tell, for Harris & Chan, the 2nd assisted jump is a bit more than 1.5 revolutions by about 1/4 revolution. For McNamara & Spridinov, the 1st jump isn’t assisted. Spiridinov jumps, but McNamara’s hands are just touching him, not actually “assisting” him. I can’t see any other reason to invalidate that element.

I know the Choreographic Assisted Jumps went through some rule changes even before the season started, but I’m not sure what the updated requirements are. I’m not sure if it went from 1.5 revs allowed to 1, or 1 rev allowed to 1.5. The best I could find is Communication 2468 Updated on August 31, 2022. The Choreographic Assisted Jump requirements are as follows:

This could explain Harris & Chan’s invalidation regardless, as the element is designed to have the 2nd choreographic jump be 1.5 revs. But for McNamara & Spridinov, I don’t see a strict requirement that the jump is actually assisted? Unless it’s implied in the name of the element. I imagine there’s going to be a Q&A clarification coming.

I think for Harris & Chan there are also problem with the first assisted jump?Chan rotated more than one rotation before putting Holly down?

https://youtu.be/90Vkw-SyOA8

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between assisted jumps and choreographic lifts. 😊 I mean, I understand there's a difference on paper, but in the moment it's still hard for my eye to discern the difference.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Cross-posting this from the Russian news thread...

Update from Jonathan Guerreiro - he and Tiffany are taking this season off to allow her to continue her recovery.

Karen-W

I wonder if they considered switching to Australia seeing as Jonathan is Australian. Would be interesting if that ever happens!!!
My guess is that whatever decision they make on that subject is something they put off until they are actually able and ready to compete again.

angi

Really enjoyed the debut of Lajoie/Lagha's RD today at Nepela Trophy. I expect some to dislike the music but I think it fits them and they have some really strong footwork sections in it. Some areas still need to be ironed out, but overall definitely one of my favorite RDs so far (and I have been disliking most of what we've seen so far). They got a great score for it too.

Also enjoyed the Browns, I like the use of unconventional music since they make it work. Unfortunately, it was a rough outing for them with low levels and botched twizzles so they are only in 6th place at the moment (but only ~4 points behind 3rd, they can't catch either Pate/Bye or Lajoie/Lagha since the gap is too big)

Last edited:

Karen-W

Junior ice dance is replete with talented teams from at least 12 different countries! Check out the SB scores for just the junior teams so far:

Mrazkova/Mrazek CZE 176.26 JGP Czech Skate
Bashynska/Beaumont CAN 170.21 JGP Solidarity Cup
Lim/Quan KOR 161.96 JGP Courchevel
Grimm/Savitskiy GER 161.42 JGP Riga Cup
Bekker/Hernandez GBR 159.55 JGP Czech Skate
Fradji/Forneaux FRA 157.11 JGP Solidarity Cup
Gauthier/Thieren CAN 156.92 JGP Riga Cup
Pinchuk/Pogorielov UKR 150.95 JGP Solidarity Cup
Kida/Morita JPN 149.66 JGP Czech Skate
Simova/Aksenov SVK 148.25 JGP Czech Skate
Pham/Rogers USA 148.24 JGP Riga Cup
Hauer/Starr USA 147.44 JGP Czech Skate
Carhart/Horovyi USA 145.46 JGP Solidarity Cup
Yu/Giang CAN 145.35 JGP Solidarity Cup
Karl/Hoferichter GER 143.13 JGP Riga Cup

And we still haven't seen the debuts of Kudryavsteva/Karankevich CYP, Tali/Frasca ITA, or Neset/Markelov USA!

Junior Worlds is going to be a blood bath, with a lot of countries battling it out for the podium and those precious top spots to earn their country additional JGP berths next season.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Junior ice dance is replete with talented teams from at least 12 different countries! Check out the SB scores for just the junior teams so far:

Mrazkova/Mrazek CZE 176.26 JGP Czech Skate
Bashynska/Beaumont CAN 170.21 JGP Solidarity Cup
Lim/Quan KOR 161.96 JGP Courchevel
Grimm/Savitskiy GER 161.42 JGP Riga Cup
Bekker/Hernandez GBR 159.55 JGP Czech Skate
Fradji/Forneaux FRA 157.11 JGP Solidarity Cup
Gauthier/Thieren CAN 156.92 JGP Riga Cup
Pinchuk/Pogorielov UKR 150.95 JGP Solidarity Cup
Kida/Morita JPN 149.66 JGP Czech Skate
Simova/Aksenov SVK 148.25 JGP Czech Skate
Pham/Rogers USA 148.24 JGP Riga Cup
Hauer/Starr USA 147.44 JGP Czech Skate
Carhart/Horovyi USA 145.46 JGP Solidarity Cup
Yu/Giang CAN 145.35 JGP Solidarity Cup
Karl/Hoferichter GER 143.13 JGP Riga Cup

And we still haven't seen the debuts of Kudryavsteva/Karankevich CYP, Tali/Frasca ITA, or Neset/Markelov USA!

Junior Worlds is going to be a blood bath, with a lot of countries battling it out for the podium and those precious top spots to earn their country additional JGP berths next season.
If I’m in a junior or transitioning Russian ice dance team right now, I’m having an anxiety attack. Even if they’re back next season, the star teams listed above will have a great advantage and more country spots both junior and senior.

Also interesting to see those three junior US teams so close in scores. We are really going to have a traffic jam.

Karen-W

If I’m in a junior or transitioning Russian ice dance team right now, I’m having an anxiety attack. Even if they’re back next season, the star teams listed above will have a great advantage and more country spots both junior and senior.

Also interesting to see those three junior US teams so close in scores. We are really going to have a traffic jam.
Yes, Russia is going to be at a SEVERE disadvantage in ice dancing next season, especially at the junior level, unless they're back by Jr Worlds. And at the rate things are going with Putin, I can't envision that happening, but even if it does, they'll only have one team that they're relying upon to crack into the top 10 - that's a mighty big challenge, looking at these teams so far.

US juniors are interesting - I'll be interested to see if Hauer/Starr can improve their score from Riga when they're in Egna in a couple weeks. It's going to be a real battle for the three Jr Worlds spots.

sap5

I don’t like L/L’s RD. For me, it’s too similar to last season’s Funkytown RD. Many of the movements are similar, the music is similar, etc.

My bigger issue with teams nowadays (not just L/L) is that because these teams never skate in face-to-face closed holds, they seem very limited choreographically. The time that used to be spent showing actual Latin dancing is now spent in lifts or poses, or arm-waving and gimmicks. I’m not a fan.

Karen-W

I'd guess any Russian athletes right now are at least considering their international options. Like Davis & Smolkin, Z&G would need a release.
How long would they need to sit out without getting a release? They were out all of last season and will be out this season, and the last Olympics they competed in was 2018.

Lara111

I don’t like L/L’s RD. For me, it’s too similar to last season’s Funkytown RD. Many of the movements are similar, the music is similar, etc.

My bigger issue with teams nowadays (not just L/L) is that because these teams never skate in face-to-face closed holds, they seem very limited choreographically. The time that used to be spent showing actual Latin dancing is now spent in lifts or poses, or arm-waving and gimmicks. I’m not a fan.
He is not good at Latin moves. Very unprofessional

Dobre

How long would they need to sit out without getting a release?
It would be up to Russia, wouldn't it?

As it was up to France whether or when Tiffany & Bruno could leave. Unless the ISU changes its policy, which it could. But the ISU has not done so as of our current reality.

Within the last decade or so, Russia has tended to let some fairly high-ranked athletes go; though I don't think Russia was ever going to let Ilinykh or Soloviev go with major international medals in their resumes. But the situation right now is abnormal. Hence, we do not know if there's a timeline or what the timeline would be. Possibly the athletes may know if such a timeline exists for them? And if such a timeline exists, what that timeline is?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Given Putin’s prior speech about “deserters” and the embarrassment of 100000 Russian men on the Kazakh border, I’d bet orders are to make it as hard as possible for star athletes to be released, especially in a glitzy popular sport like skating.

Karen-W

It would be up to Russia, wouldn't it?

As it was up to France whether or when Tiffany & Bruno could leave. Unless the ISU changes its policy, which it could. But the ISU has not done so as of our current reality.

Within the last decade or so, Russia has tended to let some fairly high-ranked athletes go; though I don't think Russia was ever going to let Ilinykh or Soloviev go with major international medals in their resumes. But the situation right now is abnormal. Hence, we do not know if there's a timeline or what the timeline would be. Possibly the athletes may know if such a timeline exists for them? And if such a timeline exists, what that timeline is?
Well, also, the ISU Council can release any skater it wants. It just has chosen to stay out of any release disputes to date. I do wonder what it would do in certain circumstances - like the ones where at least one of the skaters on a team has citizenship in another country and has chosen to relocate there or already lived there most of the year - like DavSmo, ZagGuer, and, possibly, Morozov/Naryzhnyy (not sure I spelled his last name right, lol). I know some see that as country shopping, but those situations aren't the same as, say, Stepanova/Bukin switching to Azerbaijan or Hungary or wherever.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
One thing I miss seeing is just DANCING--the use of holds and everything. I'm in no teknik with ice dance but I miss that flow and look, less focused on the cool tricks. Bah. It is all I think of when I watch dance now--and I enjoy dance--but not as much as I know I would...

Dobre

Well, also, the ISU Council can release any skater it wants.
Theoretically, they can; but they have not done it. There certainly isn't a handy timeline available for athletes to plan out their careers while counting on that to happen.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
One thing I miss seeing is just DANCING--the use of holds and everything. I'm in no teknik with ice dance but I miss that flow and look, less focused on the cool tricks. Bah. It is all I think of when I watch dance now--and I enjoy dance--but not as much as I know I would...
I agree. These rule changes have compromised the sanctity of the sport.

Karen-W

Bashynska/Beaumont are competing next week. So not necessarily.
I fully believe in Kudryavtseva/Karankevich and Grimm/Savitskiy being able to challenge them successfully!

Ena Grins

Next week should be a fun competition between B/B, K/K, and G/S. I’m bummed Neset/Markelov won’t be there after all because that could have been REALLY interesting. But the following week should prove exciting too - junior ice dance is where it’s at so far this season!

GoneWithTheWind

Completely agree. Over the past quad, and now into this one, seeing even teams who are strong technically (eg: H/D, G/F etc.) have less and less in hold skating because you can score high without it is sad. I worry that if the ISU continues down this path with all the recent rule changes, the technical/skating skills side of ice dance is going to continue to be minimised, and skills like skating close in hold are going to be of very little importance.

litenkyckling

Completely agree. Over the past quad, and now into this one, seeing even teams who are strong technically (eg: H/D, G/F etc.) have less and less in hold skating because you can score high without it is sad. I worry that if the ISU continues down this path with all the recent rule changes, the technical/skating skills side of ice dance is going to continue to be minimised, and skills like skating close in hold are going to be of very little importance.
I feel like I desperately need to see these teams do a waltz RD - partly because I love it but also partly because it really highlights who can skate beautifully when close together

litenkyckling

I really like these two. She's a gem and he presents her marvelously. I get Klimova Ponomarenko vibes when I watch them. Looking forward to them progressing. Both their programs are lovely and innovative.
I think as seniors they’ll stand out in Canada because they have a look that no one else there does. Some of the details in their FD are really memorable - I mean, the arms playing violin in the one foot step - amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information