The Carolina Kostner Thread

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
It's official! She is listed to compete at Golden Spin in Zagreb in December: http://www.croskate.hr/site/assets/files/1173/cscro2016_entries-ladies_16-11-14.pdf
So it's actually happening, she is coming back at the age of 29 after 2 years and 9 months away from competition :eek::cheer2::respec::cheer::kickass: Wishing her all the best and can't wait to see her skate :swoon:

Yep! I wasnt able to find in Italian media if she will compete at Italian Nationals.. It just says Worlds.. Not sure how it works there.... like she wont have to compete at Nats? She will just get the world spot that previously would have gone to Roberta?

Anywhoooo hope her jumps are coming along!!!!

npavel

Bellanca

jiggs

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Her SP is really interesting, it's such unappealing music that you just want to hate it no matter what, but her skating moves like ocean waves/the wind so it's brilliant in how it showcases her skating. I'll wait until she competes the program to have a concrete opinion because I kind of hate listening to that.

Spun Silver

How very un-Carolinesque. My first thought is that they are working too hard to make her look young and hip. My second thought is that those jumps look a little scary. My last thought is, how great to see her skating again! I don't think I'll be a fan of the program unless she can skate it with abandon though. I do like her dancing though although Carolina will never be hip. Or hop.

Taso

LOL

(It's charming how poorly this board does with understanding humor. I like it here)

I'm glad somebody appreciated it, it was in no means meant to be mean - which there's a lot of nastiness on the board so maybe that person thought I was being a jerk, and humor doesn't always translate well between cultures.

Anway, the Panini Memorial does sound deliciously sad to me still :p

lauravvv

LOL

(It's charming how poorly this board does with understanding humor. I like it here)

I'm glad somebody appreciated it, it was in no means meant to be mean - which there's a lot of nastiness on the board so maybe that person thought I was being a jerk, and humor doesn't always translate well between cultures.

Anway, the Panini Memorial does sound deliciously sad to me still :p
Okay, now I got it. Sorry for being obtuse :shuffle:. I looked it up, and now that I know what "Panini" stands for, it's indeed hard to stay completely serious about it. But I am still glad that Carolina is not against taking part in such small events, as it just shows that she is not an arrogant "star" who is ready to skate only in huge shows for a lot of money. There are other high level star skaters who also skate in smaller events for the enjoyment of people who can't afford to go to the biggest and most expensive shows, like Stepahane Lambiel (often performs in small, one-star shows in Switzerland) and others (US skaters who perform in smaller shows not in the largest cities etc.). Carolina herself has also performed in small shows in Italy before.

sus2850

Why is it funny or sad in your opinion? Where you thinking about bread or football stickers?
I am not sure about "Panini Memorial" in the first place. I do not speak Russian, but apparently this memorial is honouring a Russian skater named Панин-Коломенкин as it says in the youtube video. Which means: Nikolai Panin-Kolomenkin.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Panin
(this was meant for the posters further above)

Taso

A memorial for a sandwich is just...and it being a skating event...I kept laughing...I know who Nikolai Panin was, and it's not intended out of disrespect to the roots of Russian figure skating (which has always been my favorite) or Carolina Kostner (who is my favorite ladies skater of all time) or the Golden Spin of Zagreb (I always root for OES skaters and I have packpacked through Eastern Europe twice and loved it, had great experiences in Zagreb actually)

bladesofgorey

Why is it funny or sad in your opinion? Where you thinking about bread or football stickers?
I am not sure about "Panini Memorial" in the first place. I do not speak Russian, but apparently this memorial is honouring a Russian skater named Панин-Коломенкин as it says in the youtube video. Which means: Nikolai Panin-Kolomenkin.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Panin
(this was meant for the posters further above)

The humor (for English speakers who are old enough to have lived through a pressed bread sandwich craze where everything was "Panini" this and "Panini" that- and who even were suckered in to buying their own *at home Panini presses*-
The reason why this was so funny was that "panini" was the buzzword and menu offering dujour about a decade are more ago from any coffee shop or mom and pop restaurant that wanted to be "with it"- it was the hip sandwich style. A yuppie/millennial treat that was also a social signifier of class and good taste. Kind of like Starbucks here in the U.S. was.
Anyway, the craze really died down over time. I haven't even thought about Paninis in a looong time, let alone eaten one. So the moment the sandwich style had is long over. The idea of a "Panini Memorial" is funny because it's like having a vigil or remembrance for that sandwich's pinnacle. And paninis are kind of yummy, so it's doubly funny to say it's "deliciously sad" to have a memorial for that type of sandwich. Obviously the event isn't named for the sandwich but it would be so funny to stage a skating event as a memorial to a sandwich style that has since fallen out of favor. The surreal weirdness makes it funny.

I *love* Kostner and I loved this exhibition skate as well.

sus2850

Ok, I see. Well for us Germans Panini is football stickers.
Anyhow, I don't get why "Panini" came up at all. As it is the Panin Memorial. A typo by the original poster, who does speak Russian, I guess.
And I still wonder how Carolina ended up skating this exhibition/short in St. Petersburg.

Last edited:

jiggs

Anyhow, I don't get why "Panini" came up at all. As it is the Panin Memorial. A typo by the original poster, who does speak Russian, I guess.
And I still wonder how Carolina ended up skating this exhibition/short in St. Petersburg.

I think the poster is Italian and "Panini" was a typo caused by autocorrect :)
Carolina skated there because she now trains full time with Alexei Mishin and lives in St. Petersburg. She was probably invited by the organizers to skate at the gala.

DDNatalia

Can't wait to see her perform once again. Her sheer speed and flow are so exceptional. It's great also that the current generation of competitors will have the chance to share ice with her. Her reputation is of being such a lovely and warm person, beloved by many of the competitors/athletes.

Jebrista

I believe it's because in Russian, 'Memorial Panini' means Memorial of Panin. As adding an 'i' at the end of a masculine noun in russian is used in the same way an apostrophe-s is used in English.

Jebrista

I believe it's because in Russian, 'Memorial Panini' means Memorial of Panin. As adding an 'i' at the end of a masculine noun in russian is used in the same way an apostrophe-s is used in English.

Jebrista

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Congrats to Caro in the SP!!

69.95 points with a touch-down.

Program is beautiful and elegant!!! SHe should lead the SP for sure.!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information