The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

sadya

Vivika1982, thank you so much for these links. Especially the Rahkamo/Kokko one. I've been looking for this gala for years. I taped it when Eurosport first aired it. Then when I moved from France back to Holland, I lost many items, including a tape of this gala. :-( Wasn't this the first Art on Ice? If I remember correct this was a new Idea from Oliver Hoener according to British Eurosport commentators. I could be remembering wrong though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Midori's NHK 92 SP.

This is the first time I've seen a clean performance of this SP. WOW! If only she had been able to skate with this kind of freedom in Albertville.

Thanks so much for this! This was her best SP performance, I think.

Tarasirius

Triple Axel

One of the best FDs ever IMO, and under COP.
Gregory/Petukhov GPF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFfKF300k6A

This is the only FD of theirs that really made me sit up and pay attention. It was just gorgeous. Question though, why did they change their costumes for Worlds? The ones at the GPF were so pretty and the ones at Worlds were so...not pretty.

I absolutely adore this program!! The music was used, in part for their "fallen Angels" program, skated with Johnny Weir!! It was absolutely incredible as well. When I first saw that they were going to do it, I thought.."Oh, NO..what a nightmare this is going to be". I couldn't take my eyes off of it!! It was mesmerizing...

orbitz

Wow!!! An SP from the 70's. They are so rare . . . and a woman doing a good 3S-2Lp, no less.

Linda Fratianne - 1977 World Championships - SP

Linda's 76 Nationals LP and 77 Worlds SP were her two best performances, IMO. Everything else after that was Pffffft. I find it's interesting that the footwork she had in the 77 SP was more complicated than what she did in her 80 Olympic SP. I think Linda would've grown much more artistically and technically if her chief rivals were excellent free skaters like Denise, Wantanabi, etc.

bardtoob

I wonder if Manley and Fratianne have ever gone out for drinks because it's clearer and clearer to me that they were the best two performers across all three portions of the competition in their respective Olympics ... Ito and Beillmann should also have drinks ... Thomas and Potzch should have gotten similar placements, whatever that should have been.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Dianne De Leeuw - 1976 World Championships - SP

Lovely. Maybe it is the low quality of the video, but I don't know what Uncle Dick was talking about regarding the 2A. Any lady today would love to do it that way :swoon:

I love the serpentine footwork. It is great to see good footwork in pattern.

ETA: I never realized how relatively tall she is.

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
De Leeuw, despite being American herself but representing the Netherlands, was Hamill's closest rival for the OGM so the ABC hype 'n' trash machine went into overdrive on her skating, pointing out every minute flaw. She did have a strange technique on her double axel where she brought the free leg up and to the side as she rotated - kind of like a jazz pirouette position. She never crossed her ankles on it. Worked for her but it would be deemed horendous technique today. Here's a better view:

Dianne de Leeuw1976 Olympics LP

Errath was wonderful - sturdy yes, in the style of Gaby Seyfert, although they had different coaches, but she really was a great skater with a wonderful double axel she could do out of just about anything and one of the few ladies to start trying triples in the early 1970's. I have a fair bit of Errath on tape - I really need to get some of her stuff on youtube sometime!

bardtoob

Omg!omg!omg!

Once you get past the bad hair and dreadful costume, you can see Almassy had remarkable even proto-CoP content for her time, such as the A-2S and catchfoot upright spin with high foot position ... And look at those clean Arabian cartwheels!

Seerek

One other observation - After reading so much from people criticizing Trixie Schuba's free skating skills over the years, now having seen Schuba's programs relative to the rest of the field, her free skate placements (usually 6th or 7th) in my opinion were pretty much correct (The skaters placing behind her were struggling on 2 lutzes and 2 flips).

all_empty

Omg!omg!omg!

Once you get past the bad hair and dreadful costume, you can see Almassy had remarkable even proto-CoP content for her time, such as the A-2S and catchfoot upright spin with high foot position ... And look at those clean Arabian cartwheels!

Nonsense! That is a +3 GOE bouffant.

The wally-spread eagle-2A is spectacular.

ETA: Those Arabians!!!

robinhood

you know, Janet Lynn was wonderful here but I sometimes wonder about the media hype in certain skaters...watching this competition I found myself enjoying Karen Magnussen and Gabrielle Seyfert the most. Seifert was particularly surprising for me, because she had all the beautiful qualities of the American girls and killer jumps too. She had amazing presentation skills, and I thought Juta Muller students were more technical than artistic. She was strikingly beautiful, that helps...

And thanks to the video uploads! It's wonderful to know about the figure skating history

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information