The 2020 Athletics Thread

ilovepaydays

BBC has just dropped this latest expose on Salazar and the Nike Oregon Project.

OMG! His comments towards Kara Goucher. :eek:

Also, why would it EVER be appropriate for a coach to get involved with the birth control his female athletes are taking? Or ANY medication, for that matter? He isn’t an MD, much less theirs? 😡

Also, I always thought that Danny Mackey should’ve pursued all legal options against Capriotti (Nike) for that attack at 2015 US Nationals.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The US marathon trials are today, 29 Feb, in Atlanta. NBC will have coverage starting at noon.

ETA, the Tokyo Marathon is airing on OlyChan at 7 pm Eastern. It’s the qualifier for a lot of the Asian and African teams. For those who don’t follow running, it’s elite only this year due to COVID-19 fears.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Rupp ran away with it, a full minute ahead of the 3 chasers. Pending the jury, the others on the team are Riley and 43 yo Abdirhaman. It’s Korir in that dreaded 4th.

The women are cat and mousing it to the end with at least a dozen still in it.

eta, the biggest surprise for the men was pre-race favorite Ward finishing very far back.

Last edited:

Aceon6

And the US women’s team will likely be Tuliamuk, Seidel (running her 1st full marathon) and Kipyego. Thweatt and Linden 10 seconds back of Sally K with 2 miles to go.

eta, confirmed. Des Linden takes 4th... the dreaded alternate slot. Poor gal’s got to keep training.

Last edited:

Finnice

Interesting to see what they will do with EC in late August. It was supposed to be held in Paris.
I guess Magnus Kirt (the javelinist from Estonia), who was badly injured in Doha, is one of the happy ones when the Olys are postponed. He will have time to heal.

ilovepaydays

In case anyone missed it, GQ Magazine did a photo shoot with Eliud Kipchoge!

Photos #1
Photos #2

One (probably) unpopular track & field opinion that I have: Eliud is probably a cooler guy to hang out with than Usain. :)

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Interesting to see what they will do with EC in late August. It was supposed to be held in Paris.
I guess Magnus Kirt (the javelinist from Estonia), who was badly injured in Doha, is one of the happy ones when the Olys are postponed. He will have time to heal.

How realistic is it that it will be safe enough to travel around Europe by then? I’m wondering if it will be postponed or cancelled.

For example, Oktoberfest is usually mid-September to mid October in Munich, right? Is that event going to be able to happen?

Finnice

How realistic is it that it will be safe enough to travel around Europe by then? I’m wondering if it will be postponed or cancelled.

For example, Oktoberfest is usually mid-September to mid October in Munich, right? Is that event going to be able to happen?
What I have read and spoken to somebody, the athletes are really hungry to compete. But you are absolutely right, the end of August may be too early. This **** will really turn everything, including the sports calender, upside down.

Aceon6

I’m hoping that Europe figures it out as the athletes have the option of driving from venue to venue. With minor alterations, most of the winter sports can resume as soon as it’s safe. Maybe running and swimming can adapt and use every other lane. The distance races could be pursuits. I see the training facilities as being the biggest issue as it’s extremely expensive to keep one open without the group aspect.

Finnice

And it is d different thing to train in the warmer countries and here in the North. Some swimming halls are still open for the Olympic-level athletes, as are gyms and indoor halls. I guess for the athletes the worst thing is not to know when they can compete again. As an athlete, a person knows their plans can turn upside because of an injury etc., but this is something exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information