The 2019 Westminster Dog Show Thread

ilovepaydays

Westminster Kennel Club webpage

:D Because we need something to :cheer2: over after Nationals and 4CCs :lol:

It’s the best dog show on the planet! Group judging starts tonight!

It airs live in the U.S. at 7:30pm EST on FS1. Tonight is Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding. Tomorrow will be Sporting, Working, Terrier and of course BEST IN SHOW!

And....there will be two new breeds this year! Try to pronounce them! :lol:

Are there any groups or breeds that anyone here roots for? Any that are despised? Not sure there are any trainwrecks here like in skating, though. ;)

Susan1

Westminster Kennel Club webpage

:D Because we need something to :cheer2: over after Nationals and 4CCs :lol:

It’s the best dog show on the planet! Group judging starts tonight!

It airs live in the U.S. at 7:30pm EST on FS1. Tonight is Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding. Tomorrow will be Sporting, Working, Terrier and of course BEST IN SHOW!

And....there will be two new breeds this year! Try to pronounce them! :lol:

Are there any groups or breeds that anyone here roots for? Any that are despised?

Not sure there are any trainwrecks here like in skating, though. ;)

I love all the hounds (see profile pic ha ha). Sadie was a hound mix. Dachshunds (short and long coat more than wire coat), Beagles, Bassets, Salukis, Afghans, Bloodhounds..............

I'm taping Jeopardy, because hounds are usually the first group and I always seem to miss them by forgetting to turn on a dog show.

Remember the German Shepherd discussion? I'm NOT going to watch that group. Their hips still make me sad.

I can't despise ANY dog groups. I've been bitten by a Schnauzer and a Chow in my life, so I don't root for them. I am not fond of bulldog type dogs (with the pushed in faces and slobber).

I watched parts of an agility competition yesterday from Westminster (not the show dogs!). Neat. I've seen one of those fly ball competitions in person before at a county fair. Their feet barely touched the ground.

Vagabond

I always root for Samoyeds, though I can think of someone who would disagree with me. :sneaky:

The same thing, with English subtitles, can be found here. :dog:

ilovepaydays

Hound Group

The basset hound looked like he had no business winning his breed. His body looked a bit.....off.

The 13 inch beagle outperformed the 15 inch beagle - by a bit. Just sayin’!

The Plott was great but deserved a better handler. Coaching change!

The Longhaired Dachshunds, Treeing Walking Coonhound, and Whippet were superb here.

Winner: Longhaired Dachshund
2nd Place: Whippet
3rd Place: 15 inch Beagle (WUT!)
4th Place: Basenji

Last edited:

Skate Talker

Well I tried to tune in a short time ago but got nothing but a bunch of backstage and chatting for over 1/2 hour so moved on to something else.

ilovepaydays

Toy Group

I’m just going to say it: There should be a regulation against how poodles are groomed for these dog shows. Abomination!

The Havanese was GORGEOUS and had so much style.

My cat is sitting on the couch and he rolled his eyes at the Pekingese.

The Pug here was the Toy Group winner last year. But the commentators mentioned he looked “hustier” this year.

Winner: Havanese - UPSETS THE PUG!!
2nd Place: Pug
3rd Place: Yorkshire Terrier
4th Place: English Toy Spaniel (RC&B)

ilovepaydays

Non Sporting Group

The French Bulldog was gorgeous! His coat looked like velvet. And was such a showman!

Why is the Tibetan terrier in this group and not in the Terrier group?

Winner: Schipperke
2nd Place: French Bulldog WAS ROBBED!!!
3rd Place: Chow
4th Place: Standard Poodle

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Thanks. I forgot it was on and was watching America's Got Talent. I'll record the reairing at 11 and watch it when I'm home tomorrow avoiding the snow.

And I'll say it now to save time (since I say it every year) - the Border Collie wuzrobbed!

Japanfan

I can't despise ANY dog groups. I've been bitten by a Schnauzer and a Chow in my life, so I don't root for them. I am not fond of bulldog type dogs (with the pushed in faces and slobber).

I'm not fond of the pushed in faces, either. So the Shit Tzu and the Pekingnese are not my favorite breeds.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Herding Group

Border Collie: “Slick” won the Herding Group last year. He was FANTASTIC!

The German Shepherd looked a bit too distracted.

I didn’t know there was an Icelandic Sheepdog. Gorgeous.

The Pembroke Welsh Corgi licked the judge’s nose. :lol:

THE PULI’S BEING A DIVA!!!!!

Winner: Bouvier des Flandres - UPSETS THE BORDER COLLIE!!!! :eek:
2nd Place: Border Collie
3rd Place: German Shepherd
4th Place: Old English Sheepdog

Susan1

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
(funny how ^they are in synch!) (edited - after I posted this, they stopped moving?)
Every year I complain about the leashes being under one ear and making them tilt their head when they are running and shake their ears. When they were interviewing the winner, the handler kept moving his hands and yanking his poor little head up.
I watched parts of an agility competition yesterday from Westminster (not the show dogs!). Neat. I've seen one of those fly ball competitions in person before at a county fair. Their feet barely touched the ground.
I forgot to mention that they had "All American" dogs competing. And they had commercials for Dog DNA tests. They even showed the "genealogy" of one of the dogs. I wish I would have had one of those for Sadie. She was a stray, and Dr. Frizzell said she had "hound hands". She looked like mostly Beagle with shorter legs, but who knows what else was in there.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Non Sporting Group

The French Bulldog was gorgeous! His coat looked like velvet. And was such a showman!

The Poodle wuzrobbed! :drama:

Susan1

In honor of dachshunds - new avatar is me holding Oscar, and my cousin Patty, in 1978. I don't know why it's so dark. I scanned the old picture a long time ago and it was fine then. (just realized tomorrow is Patty's birthday!)

cygnus

Go huskies!! Clearly the best. But the judging is always rigged, and they don't get their due.

ilovepaydays

Non Sporting Group

UPDATE: It was announced that the Schipperke has been ruled ineligible to compete in Best in Show due to ownership conflicts.

There will only be six groups for Best in Show tonight.

BaileyCatts

What? I don't understand! What's the problem that he got all the way to the win and now can't compete in Best of Show?

ilovepaydays

Sporting Group

This is the best group, BTW. :)

Quite a few dogs from Canada in this group! The Gordon Setter winner was the #1 winning dog in 2018 in Canada!

The spaniels were gorgeous! Especially the Black Cocker, American Water, and Sussex.

The Sussex Spaniel “Bean” won Sporting last year. He is the grandson of “Stump” who was the oldest Best in Show winner ever in 2009. Bean received a thunderous applause!

Winner: Sussex Spaniel:cheer2:
2nd Place: Irish Setter
3rd Place: American Water Spaniel
4th Place: Black Cocker Spaniel

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Working Group

I only really liked the Boxer and the Samoyed in this group. Most of the other breeds look exhausting to me.

Great Danes make me a tad sad to look at. I think they have the highest rate of heart issues and the shortest average life span of any dog breed. :(

The Saint Bernard was larger than its handler. Didn’t think that was a good idea.

Winner: Boxer :D
2nd Place: Siberian Husky
3rd Place: Kuvasz
4th Place: Doberman Pinscher

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Terrier Group

MEH. Whatever.

Winner: Wire Fox Terrier
2nd Place: American Staffordshire Terrier
3rd Place: Skye Terrier
4th Place: Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Best in Show starts at about 10:25pm EST.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

DRAMA!!!! The Schipperke has been allowed in the arena. He’s allowed to do a “lap of honor” with the other group winners before being excused out. Crowd got a tad rowdy.

But there is an owner’s conflict of interest with the Best in Show Judge Green’s family.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information