Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir # 47: Come What May...

Alexandria

Baz talking more about them - it's awesome how much he loved the program!

Do you feel like what the Canadian skaters are doing goes beyond using the music as soundtrack to actually inhabiting the roles of Christian and Satine from the movie?

I think so. With Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue, the Canadian skaters, it feels like he is singing Ewan McGregor’s lines to his partner. It feels like they’re having a relationship. And it’s kind of gone into another place by [the Olympics allowing songs with] lyrics. Because whether you consciously receive it or not, it’s a narration inside your head. And like a ballet of “Romeo and Juliet”; you understand the story. I look at the routine that the two Canadian skaters did, and it’s ballet on ice. … It’s an extraordinary thing to watch. It uplifts the soul. It exalts the spirit. You’re sort of aware of how brilliantly clever the choreography is, but all of that just melds into one gesture, until you’re just completely inside the emotion between those two characters. It’s kind of another level.

Like you said, “Lady Marmalade” was the hit, but it’s other songs that the athletes have gravitated toward — the deep tracks. Are you surprised by which songs the athletes use?

The Canadian routine is just exquisite. What they do is compress the whole relationship of the movie into one three-minute bite, and it’s very well cut, and each movement moves from one thing to another. You have an opening statement of “The Show Must Go On,” and then I think it goes into “El Tango de Roxanne,” which is kind of how volatile the relationship is. And then it ends with “Come what may, we will be together forever.” So that sums up the somewhat tragic, operatic structure of the movie.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/baz-luhrmann-interview-olympics-moulin-rouge-1202709680/

manhn

It is interesting how Tessa and Scott are so much more of a presence in these Games than in Vancouver. The number of medals and gold for Canada in 2010 were basically the same. Comes down to maturity, familiarity, and an established base of fans, greater social media, and their own stronger PR skills. Their skating has always been great.

Goody2shoes

Looking back, most are partial to new thread as Long Time Running and so am I.

Btw, never knew that MR would take a life on its own. (Glad to hear it's more than about the lift :p) It's insane that it's blown worldwide. Kudos to v/m for believing in it (and making us all believe in it too) as well as all the choreographers who had a hand in it (Sam, MF, Pat, anyone else?)

Last edited:

TSFRENCHFAN

Hi, I just wanted to say my official goodbye to you guys! I am done watching skating now... at least for a while until I reconsider! Also, a sweet Canadian friend sent me the fabulous Tessa and Scott cheerios box, can't wait to have it! It will be only the box because it was too expensive with them in it but excited to have the box and I have some cheerios at home right now so that works!

kittysk8ts

Hi, I just wanted to say my official goodbye to you guys! I am done watching skating now... at least for a while until I reconsider! Also, a sweet Canadian friend sent me the fabulous Tessa and Scott cheerios box, can't wait to have it! It will be only the box because it was too expensive with them in it but excited to have the box and I have some cheerios at home right now so that works!
Aw :( Take care TSFRENCHFAN! We will be here if you decide to return. Thank you for your support of Tessa and Scott and for liking my posts! LOL. I appreciate it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information