Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir # 47: Come What May...

LisaLemon

I stopped watching it after last season lol I knew this shit would happen, French judge gave them a level 1..a LEVEL 1!! lmao he is basically saying..yep I'm cheating..try & stop me..it's not worth the agro for me..

puglover

I know this is a competition and they care about placings but I personally don't anymore. Judges don't determine what I like and don't like and since we never ever hear the reasoning behind a lower level or stingy GOE, I have given up on analyzing the marks. For me, that dance just sizzled and I loved it. I love their material this year and am determined to stay on the sunny side of the street for these likely last 2 competitive competitions from the fantastic Tessa and Scott.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
It's only half a point. Everything can change tomorrow. We just don't know. As someone who doesn't like either SD I do think V&M had it above P&C today, they just sell the hell out of it which is one of their major skills.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Does anyone like Tessa's new dress? Because I hate it and I'm getting distracted from the skating by how terrible it is.
Not so much on its own but it really clashes with Scott's costume. I'm not sure why they keep trying to go for non-matching outfits for this program but it doesn't work at all.
I hate it. I hated the first one too but I think it's even worse than the first one. Please let them have a whole new concept, because it doesn't go well on them. It doesn't suit Tessa. I could live with Scott's outfit. But not Tessa's.

LisaLemon

What time do V&M skate today in the long program? I know they will be 2nd..but still want to know lol

LisaLemon

It's only half a point. Everything can change tomorrow. We just don't know. As someone who doesn't like either SD I do think V&M had it above P&C today, they just sell the hell out of it which is one of their major skills.

How will it change unless P&C fall on their face? If they skate a clean program they win..no question about it so V&M could skate the best program of their lives & it won't matter..

Zazy

I hate it. I hated the first one too but I think it's even worse than the first one. Please let them have a whole new concept, because it doesn't go well on them. It doesn't suit Tessa. I could live with Scott's outfit. But not Tessa's.

I thought the first one was OK once they put Scott in something that didn't clash terribly. I'd maybe tone it down because it's a little too busy but it works with the program. This new dress however just takes away from the performance and should be burned immediately.

chapis

I like their FD but If they lost the FD I would change programs, FD to Carmen and I know it is super difficult to change two programs but I would redo their FD (2010-11) to a new SD

pani

I like their FD but If they lost the FD I would change programs, FD to Carmen and I know it is super difficult to change two programs but I would redo their FD (2010-11) to a new SD
Please, no old programs anymore.
How this will help? VM better, programs better, they need to change programs only because of Dider and Galina-Gordon-Poltorak, who last season before PC debute talked about noone could be close to PC ;)
TS, stay strong and relax, you are better then all this ISU games.

chapis

Please, no old programs anymore.
How this will help? VM better, programs better, they need to change programs only because of Dider and Galina-Gordon-Poltorak, who last season before PC debute talked about noone could be close to PC ;)
TS, stay strong and relax, you are better then all this ISU games.

Because they are great skaters but they need to win over people, to people who know nothing about ice dance, and those programs are very crowd friendly. They need that even if people know nothing about skating, they keep thinking and worrying about why they are not winning and add pressure to judges to up their marks. Same with costumes.

Jeanne7

I really like both their programs and believe, if TS were ahead in the SD, many posters would now be saying how great the SD choice is. Last season they skated incredibly cleanly; this season they seem to making small technical errors. P/C gave them a run for their money in the short - they were perfect. As for the FD - I wish they'd gone with a gorgeous, dramatic piece of classical music where they were able dance with abandon to show off their beautiful skating skills, passion. I thought Latch did that. Not that I don't like MR - I do - the program is amazing. However, P/C's FD probably has more appeal to the judges. Go TS in the FD!

arakwafan2006

I stopped watching it after last season lol I knew this shit would happen, French judge gave them a level 1..a LEVEL 1!! lmao he is basically saying..yep I'm cheating..try & stop me..it's not worth the agro for me..

That +1 had me like :mad::mad::mad:... like, you're a LIAR!!! The fact that the pattern dance was judged lower is when you KNOW the judges are not playing fair

arakwafan2006

I really like both their programs and believe, if TS were ahead in the SD, many posters would now be saying how great the SD choice is. Last season they skated incredibly cleanly; this season they seem to making small technical errors. P/C gave them a run for their money in the short - they were perfect. As for the FD - I wish they'd gone with a gorgeous, dramatic piece of classical music where they were able dance with abandon to show off their beautiful skating skills, passion. I thought Latch did that. Not that I don't like MR - I do - the program is amazing. However, P/C's FD probably has more appeal to the judges. Go TS in the FD!

I am so sorry to have to agree with you. Moulin Rouge does not read as having the level of sophistication that Moonlight Sonata does. Many days I think about how badly Tessa and Scott, ESPECIALLY Tessa have wanted to do this. I don’t even know if it would hold off Meryl and Charlie 4 years ago. Comparatively, Moonlight matches Pap/Ciz and their strengths better. I’m eager to see Tessa and Scott’s changes to the piece, particularly the second half. That ending that just sort of oddly happens is a bummer as well. Their Short Dance as a piece, to me, is better than the French but the Rhumba is not as staccato as last year’s pattern which The French are not as good at. The French may just be the best team ever, beating the old best.

I do think that a different piece of music would have been better. It’s not that MR is bad or that it’s immature... or that it’s not difficult... or that it’s not memorable. Beethoven’s music combined with Pap/Ciz’s skating which seem like time finally caught up with a perfect piece of art are tough to beat. The other thing that bothers me is, it feels like Tessa and Scott are in the SAME position they were 4 years ago trying to beat someone else as opposed to being the best there is. I do believe that they are the best. I just do. It’s just that they are not the best by a mile. Once upon a time. Not now.

I can handle any decision in any of the other disciplines but this dance is wearing me out.

carpis

VM recived 3 9.50 in skating skills: one was ironically from the CAN judge but she gave the same mark to PC. one was from the french judge who gave PC 9.75 and one from the russian who gave PC 9.75 as well. So just the french and the russian judge thought PC had better SS. The exact same thing happened for transitions. Also the French judge penalised VM more than what the Canadian judge did with PC. Also that's not the truth that all the judges were for PC's leading: Canadian judge had VM in first and that's expected, italian judge gave the exact same scores, the chinese gave same goes but higher pcs to VM, Korean judge gave one 10 more to PC, the spanish judge gave a very suspect 9.25 in interpretation to VM vs a 10 for PC (wtf), american judge gave same pcs but a plus 3 more to PC, the japanese judge gave one plus 3 more to PC but a 10 more to VM. So while the other judges were pretty much alligned... the spanish, the french and the russian made the difference. VM had just canada that went a little overboard for them but she didn't ding PC as much.

carpis

I'm not sure why you're singling out these two though. The French judge isn't a suprise. Of course she will go with P&C, just like the CAN judge went with V&M. Although the french judge was a bit over-zealous against V&M, with that +1 GOE on the lift. The rest of the judges though pretty much were all on board with P&C as leaders. I think only the italian judge gave the same GOE's and the same PCS marks for both couples.
I'm sorry I wanted to quote you before posting. I'm not so good :)

Jeanne7

@arakawafan - I agree. And there's something else. Unlike the other disciplines where it seems okay to come back again for another try at an OGM, in ice dance TS get scolded by some people for coming back. It's as though, how dare they return when they've already a gold & 2 silvers. Some suggest they should stand aside and let others rise to the top. Perhaps there are judges who also think it's time for those who haven't been on the Olympic podium before to be given a chance. And we all know ice dance's history so I don't believe for one minute all that backroom dealing and politicking just melted away. So IMO TS have an uphill battle.

Amantide

Edit: By the way, sorry I thought this was the Dance topic. Only now I realised this is V&M topic.

VM recived 3 9.50 in skating skills: one was ironically from the CAN judge but she gave the same mark to PC. one was from the french judge who gave PC 9.75 and one from the russian who gave PC 9.75 as well. So just the french and the russian judge thought PC had better SS. The exact same thing happened for transitions. Also the French judge penalised VM more than what the Canadian judge did with PC. Also that's not the truth that all the judges were for PC's leading: Canadian judge had VM in first and that's expected, italian judge gave the exact same scores, the chinese gave same goes but higher pcs to VM, Korean judge gave one 10 more to PC, the spanish judge gave a very suspect 9.25 in interpretation to VM vs a 10 for PC (wtf), american judge gave same pcs but a plus 3 more to PC, the japanese judge gave one plus 3 more to PC but a 10 more to VM. So while the other judges were pretty much alligned... the spanish, the french and the russian made the difference. VM had just canada that went a little overboard for them but she didn't ding PC as much.

The Korean judge as well had P&C in the lead in PCS (same GOE's for both). But really, except for that +1 from the French. I see nothing suspicious from the rest of the judges. Both couples received high marks and the difference is nothing. Many people see the french as the best team, many feel the same about V&M. So, how are we gonna deal with that? Only one wins in the end.

I do think that a different piece of music would have been better. It’s not that MR is bad or that it’s immature... or that it’s not difficult... or that it’s not memorable. Beethoven’s music combined with Pap/Ciz’s skating which seem like time finally caught up with a perfect piece of art are tough to beat. The other thing that bothers me is, it feels like Tessa and Scott are in the SAME position they were 4 years ago trying to beat someone else as opposed to being the best there is. I do believe that they are the best. I just do. It’s just that they are not the best by a mile. Once upon a time. Not now.

I feel the same. They should've come up with smth new and unique. Smth that would've smashed the competition even before skating. Smth that would've made them stand out from the rest. This smth is not MR.

p.s. Also, their choice of coach sucks.

Last edited:

carpis

if giving higher ss to PC than VM is not suspect I don't even know what we're discussing anymore. And I know that many fans thinks PC are better while other think VM are better but what happens on the ice is not so much subjective. I used to be a roller skater and when you watch roller skating comp if you understand anything about the technique you can tell how the rank is going to be, and we still have the 6.0 system (we have a 10.0 system but works in the same way) so it could be even more subjective but it's not. Why? less money involved, less popularity, no OG. All the junior teams look up to VM, and believe me or not people who are outside of politics and understand about technique don't think PC and VM are even.

Amantide

if giving higher ss to PC than VM is not suspect I don't even know what we're discussing anymore.

No Pair should get higher SS than S&K either, and we're not talking 9.75 vs 9.25 but things like 9 vs 7 or 8. Yet I see that happening all the time. Personally, I don't see the difference in their case as suspicious. Despite the fact that I think V&M have better SS, among other things.

carpis

No Pair should get higher SS than S&K either, and we're not talking 9.75 vs 9.25 but things like 9 vs 7 or 8. Yet I see that happening all the time. Personally, I don't see the difference in their case as suspicious. Despite the fact that I think V&M have better SS, among other things.
I never said the bias is just in ID. Look at TM pcs lol

barbarafan

I'm not sure why you're singling out these two though. The French judge isn't a suprise. Of course she will go with P&C, just like the CAN judge went with V&M. Although the french judge was a bit over-zealous against V&M, with that +1 GOE on the lift. The rest of the judges though pretty much were all on board with P&C as leaders. I think only the italian judge gave the same GOE's and the same PCS marks for both couples.

The cdn judge went with what was on the ice. The french judge marked down T/S and gave the highest scores possible for P/C

LisaLemon

Had a bad feeling when I saw their 2 programs..I just can't warm up to the SD music, last season they did the Prince medley & it was probably one of the greatest SD's ever in skating..no joke..but this one can't compare & that's a huge issue. Also MR & that music just doesn't grab me, I actually did not like the Latch piece last year either cause I hate Sam Smith lol so overrated, but I fear T&S thinking MR was OG material may have been a huge miscalculation & I am not sure how they fix it now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information