Tennell announces coaching change to Zakrajsek

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If you look at Sasha Cohen, there is not a single position (except for her butt on the ice) that is not gorgeous. Bradie needs some of that.

The body you are born with is the body you are born with. Sasha already was born with a fluid body. You can teach ballet, you can teach Pilates but if your lower back does not bend fluidly and your arms don’t move in the way of a ballerina dancer you can only teach that to a certain point. Your body is what your body is.

DreamSkates

I think she wants to ramp up her TES to compete technically. She's not satisfied with just 7 triples with 3/3 being her max.
The need to keep upping the technical anty is obvious: Liu as a main competitor and that Tenell won bronze this year, behind Bell. Rather than take a chance on slipping behind others, she is pushing herself to keep up. I think she's come a long way in the artistic side but Tom Z's skaters programs didn't have artistic appeal to me. Think Nagasu - she continued to work on the technical side with Tom Z although the artistic expression in her programs didn't ring my bells. But my bells don't have to be rung for a skater to stay on the podium.

DreamSkates

The body you are born with is the body you are born with. Sasha already was born with a fluid body. You can teach ballet, you can teach Pilates but if your lower back does not bend fluidly and your arms don’t move in the way of a ballerina dancer you can only teach that to a certain point. Your body is what your body is.
Sasha's mother was a ballet dancer so she had that model from birth. I don't agree that a person is necessarily born with the ability to be flexible or not. Start early, as Sasha likely did, and keep doing the work to stay flexible.

VGThuy

To be fair to Tom Z, Nagasu’s road to lower artistry didn’t begin with him. But she was very happy with him, he helped her get taken seriously again, and she was able to not only make the Olympic team but became the first American woman to land a triple axel at an Olympics and I think the third woman ever.

Maximillian

RIP TA
To be fair to Tom Z, Nagasu’s road to lower artistry didn’t begin with him. But she was very happy with him, he helped her get taken seriously again, and she was able to not only make the Olympic team but became the first American woman to land a triple axel at an Olympics and I think the third woman ever.
True, it was when she was Carroll that she began to develop the 'poker face' while skating, I think this was in part due to the fact that she was a bit all over the place emotionally in programs before, IIRC her Nats. 2009 LP was an example of this.

VGThuy

One thing I think I get from Bradie after all these years is that though she doesn’t really say much or promote herself, she’s very aware of herself, her skating, and what she needs to do. She doesn’t seem to worry too much about any negative noise surrounding her skating. She just puts her head down and keeps working on what she can work on, and we’ve seen the results. She keeps building up herself better than people expect.

Willin

It’s kind of amazing that people are still kind of stuck on 6.0 thinking. Any improvement on PCS she makes won’t be as rewarding as more ambitious tech content.
My bigger concern with PCS is that the ladies will move to where the men are: you need good TES and PCS to win. Where she was she was training a 3A and got a 3Lz-3Lo (although called UR). I think she could've gone to a coach where she'd get to work on both, rather than a coach who focuses a lot on jumps and spins.
If it was Tom Z + someone artistically focused I'd think it's fine, but I got a bad taste in my mouth from Mirai's programs. Yes, it didn't start with Tom Z in that case, but it certainly declined even within the Olympic season - just look at all the choreo they took out of Miss Saigon in favor of her jumps. It almost seemed like his strategy for her was taking out the choreo so she's be less tired/have less difficult entries so she'd be less likely to UR or fall on a jump.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I wonder if Amber Glenn getting a triple axel had anything to do with Tennell's coaching change? With Glenn's growing self-confidence and the fact that judges are willing to support her if she puts in a good free skate like her performance at Four Continents, I would say she is a potential threat to Bradie's road to Beijing.

If Amber Glenn could ever skate an even mildly clean long, this threat would seem a lot more serious. Right now she can add whatever jumps she wants, but it won’t matter if she bombs every time.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Sasha's mother was a ballet dancer so she had that model from birth. I don't agree that a person is necessarily born with the ability to be flexible or not. Start early, as Sasha likely did, and keep doing the work to stay flexible.

I take it you haven’t met my sister?

Clutz on day one, clutz at age 49

Ballet, modern, tap, Pilates. The body is what it is.

For a man I however have a very balletic style of movement with my body - in my arms especially. I was never taught it. Never had a dance class and they move that way gracefully on their own.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
I mean, maybe this will work out?

But I think this was the single dumbest choice she could've made. Bradie's jumps are better than most US ladies. What she's critiqued on is her artistry or lack thereof - so she goes to a coach infamous for ignoring artistry in favor of tech content?

Well really at this point she needs to somehow acquire triple axels and quadruple jumps to even hope to be a contender for 2022. That is the bottom line. That is pretty much clear for anyone who hopes to be a contender for 2022, womens skating isn't going to miracelously transport back to 2018. Developing artistry sadly is secondary importance to that.

coppertop1

How long until Tom starts posting videos of Bradie doing cheated quads in a harness as proof of... something.

I'll never forget that exasperated "No!" Farris said to Tom when Tom asked him if he was glad he skated while injured at 2011 Nationals. Tom was like "It builds character!" :slinkaway

Wasn't he Rachel Flatt's coach when she competed at the 2011 Worlds with that injured leg?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

soogar

That's not really true. People have different bodies. Even when it comes to toe point. Some people easily point their toes and have ballet feet and others don't. Bradie injured her back. She's recovered but she still has to take care of her back. Sasha was blessed with 180 degree turnout and other attributes that made her an incredibly beautiful skater. I find it interesting that in spite of the emphasis on flexibility, there aren't many skaters who have the abilities that Sasha had. For the Russian split jumps, the only skater who seems to equal Sasha's ability to get that "emphatic" leap on the beat of the music is Jason Brown. Dance ability is something that people are born with. Even in Eteri's group, all the girls receive the same dance training yet Trusova does not move as fluidly as some of the other girls. It's not laziness on her part that she doesn't dance as well.

euterpe

It's Bradie's vulnerable back that worries me about Tom Z. He's had issues with other students and injuries. Mirai had to have surgery for a torn labrum after the Olympic season---all that 3a practice could have been detrimental to her hip. No wonder she went for the 3a just for the team event---she may have been experiencing pain by then.

ilovepaydays

Doesn't he have a history of forcing/allowing skaters to compete when injured beyond Rachel?

Well, there was what happened to Joshua Farris at 2011 Nationals. And they changed coaches literally right afterwards. Christy Krall & Damon Allen were a much better fit for him, but there HAD to have been more stuff going on - whether it was with Joshua specifically or with other skaters - then that “final” incident.

SorrySkater

It's Bradie's vulnerable back that worries me about Tom Z. He's had issues with other students and injuries. Mirai had to have surgery for a torn labrum after the Olympic season---all that 3a practice could have been detrimental to her hip. No wonder she went for the 3a just for the team event---she may have been experiencing pain by then.
And, don’t forget that Rachael Flatt also had back problems...

barbarafan

It also made her inconsistent with jumps. That kind of flexibility can also be a problem if you are a runner. So it's a double-edged sword.
Correct. not a doctor here and have not read up at all on the subject since my niece was born with a more extreme case of the defect. So my mom was born extremely flexible and any type of gymnastic move or position she could just look at and do (contortionist wise)& we always had gymnastic time in the living room. I of course skipped those genes and I am the one who did gymnastics and ballet so felt deprived. I could do the splits as I worked my butt off everyday.My little sister - 8 yrs younger born totally flexible. A great jock in many sports I am a carrier as my daughter had the same flexibility and could slip into any position naturally.Now for the bad news. My daughters arms were what they called hyperextended -sometimes when she moved a certain way they looked inside out. Doctor said if it was any worse she would not be able to do gymnastics (weakens the arms so not as strong and easy to injure). My mother developed rheumatoid arthiritus in her late thirties- the crippling king and my sister gave birth to a daughter (that's when we found out the medical aspects of these wonderful flexible genes) which kind of gives you(in layman terms) lazy muscles and bearing in mind your brain and lungs are kinda muscles so if you are an extreme case it is quite a detriment..my niece was slow to lift her head and crawl and walk and when tested she has a certain amount of mental retardation,with ADHD thrown in there. She is a fabulous kid and my sister and brother-in-law are great parents insuring she did everything it was possible for her to do. She was part of special olympics for many yrs and also is very good with computers. My daughter developed Fibro so she has her challenges but her scores were always above average so everything else was normal. So basically a gift is not always such a gift.

Japanfan

If you look at Sasha Cohen, there is not a single position (except for her butt on the ice) that is not gorgeous. Bradie needs some of that.

Yes, the commentators used to gush on about Sasha Cohen's picture-perfect positions. And her spirals - which I admit were gorgeous, as were Kwan's. I'd love to see spirals of that caliber today.

That said, I was never a Sasha fan. I felt she got brownie points for her positions, and for being such a pretty baby ballerina.

In my view, her skating was tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information