Ted Barton interviews Eteri Tutberidze

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Orser is a very different kind of coach than Eteri. Not just in style. But Orser takes students who already have very strong technique and then he packages them, prepares them, polishes them, in some cases reworks them. He also makes no bones about wanting results ... fast.
:huh: He's been all over this year telling Med to have patience and making the same comments about Jason Brown.

Frank Carroll in the U.S. is one who had a reputation for being too harsh for most students to handle.
:huh: I have never heard this about Carroll. He's not touchy feely, but there is a big continuum from yelling at students and controlling everything they eat and do, to being a complete enabler who doesn't tell their students what they need to hear. Carroll is a tough but fair coach who emphasized weight in a non-helpful way in the past but wasn't abusive. So on that continuum, he'd be near the middle as far as coaches go, slightly towards the hard-nosed side, but anywhere near "too harsh for most students to handle."

I think you are cherry-picking and distorting the past of other coaches to support your argument.

canbelto

:huh: He's been all over this year telling Med to have patience and making the same comments about Jason Brown.

:huh: I have never heard this about Carroll. He's not touchy feely, but there is a big continuum from yelling at students and controlling everything they eat and do, to being a complete enabler who doesn't tell their students what they need to hear. Carroll is a tough but fair coach who emphasized weight in a non-helpful way in the past but wasn't abusive. So on that continuum, he'd be near the middle as far as coaches go, slightly towards the hard-nosed side, but anywhere near "too harsh for most students to handle."

I think you are cherry-picking and distorting the past of other coaches to support your argument.

I'm not supporting Eteri's methods at all. I'm just saying her methods when you look closely at them are not that different from many elite coaches who are not the packagers/finishers. Orser, Tarasova, Zueva, I'd even say Moskvina are coaches who take students who already were strong in technique, but for whatever reason had some mental block or artistic gap that prevented them from getting to the top. They take their students from there. Yuzuru Hanyu, Yuna Kim, Javier Fernandez were already strong skaters when they went to Orser. They just needed help getting even stronger. Orser's track record with skaters who had shakier technique is not as great. We'll see how he does with Med and Jason Brown. These kinds of coaches will have training methods that are different from coaches who take kids from juniors into seniors.

The difference I see with Eteri is that she almost broadcasts her methods for the world to see. The multiple videos of her berating students harshly almost seem like advertisements. Parents can be horrified, or some might think "she's a really strict coach who can get results." Obviously she is not the right coach for many skaters. I think Yulia Lipnistkaya was definitely someone who needed a different coach and approach from Eteri. But as I said, she's not hiding anything.

skateboy

Just because they don't express those fears does not mean they don't have them.

Look at what happened to Nam Nguyen after he grew - he lost all the jumps that earned him titles in everything up to senior.

I can attest to this from personal experience.

Not comparing myself to elite athletes, but as a young boy (and roller competitor, not ice) I was quite small in height. In less than one year I grew six inches (no joke) and was suddenly tall and lanky. I spent close to two years falling on nearly every jump I tried (and spins also felt awkward). It was so frustrating I nearly quit but, eventually, I gained control of my "new" body and competed at the national level a number of times. From then on, if I put on even five pounds (from eating) I was thrown off again. Controlling my diet definitely had a part in how successful/unsuccessful I was in executing elements.

Tinami Amori

I'm not supporting Eteri's methods at all. I'm just saying her methods when you look closely at them are not that different from many elite coaches who are not the packagers/finishers.
The difference I see with Eteri is that she almost broadcasts her methods for the world to see. The multiple videos of her berating students harshly almost seem like advertisements. Parents can be horrified, or some might think "she's a really strict coach who can get results." Obviously she is not the right coach for many skaters. I think Yulia Lipnistkaya was definitely someone who needed a different coach and approach from Eteri. But as I said, she's not hiding anything.
Exactly! Skaters/parents see what they are up against upfront and in many versions and details, and still elect to skate in her team. Also, she appears to be a lot tougher in those videos, and only the most extreme are selected for the viewers. These girls do have fun and laughs sometimes... and give interviews "what a great woman and coach she is, classy lady, helpfully, supportive, good friend, 2nd mother, teaches them more than skating... " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdCU9pH-pQ

Tarakanova said pretty much that: "I left not because i was unhappy with Tutberidze, all was fine there for me, no problems, not afraid of competition. I just felt like quitting all together. did not want to skate".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CYi53al_A

barbarafan

I can attest to this from personal experience.

Not comparing myself to elite athletes, but as a young boy (and roller competitor, not ice) I was quite small in height. In less than one year I grew six inches (no joke) and was suddenly tall and lanky. I spent close to two years falling on nearly every jump I tried (and spins also felt awkward). It was so frustrating I nearly quit but, eventually, I gained control of my "new" body and competed at the national level a number of times. From then on, if I put on even five pounds (from eating) I was thrown off again. Controlling my diet definitely had a part in how successful/unsuccessful I was in executing elements.

Difference is Nam did not want to work...do off-ice training to build and use the new muscles that came with the growth..He thought he would wake up on morning and the jumps would be back...same as before...he did not listen to coaches and trainers and went through another 3 coaches before he started to get with the program. On 4th coach he is finally building up his speed and power and the jumps are getting reliable. He is having an ok year and could possibly win nationals...certainly should be on podium.

snoopy

Maybe Eteri is disseminating false information and she never actually yells at her students and instead she has prayer circles. If I were Eteri, I wouldn't give my coaching secrets away.

Tinami Amori

Maybe Eteri is disseminating false information and she never actually yells at her students and instead she has prayer circles. If I were Eteri, I wouldn't give my coaching secrets away.
Whatever her coaching methods are, nobody was able to take "it" with them, share with others, or apply.

Finsta

No. But concerns about weight and disordered eating are particularly common among young women, so it would follow that is particularly common among young women involved in an aesthetic sport where their bodies are constantly scrutinized and on display. Joan Ryan's Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters is one source that discusses the issue of eating disorders/disordered eating among gymnasts and figure skaters in particular. Katrine Bertine's All the Sundays Yet to Come is another - a first-person account of a figure skater struggling with an eating disorder.

And reports such as those about the powder diet only reinforce the perception of disordered eating in figure skating. Plus various skaters have shared their own struggles with food, like Jennifer Kirk, for one. Gabbie Daleman recently mentioned mental health and eating disorders in a Canadian TV interview.

Are you saying that women need to maintain a healthy diet more than men do, or that they worry about it more than men do?

I would think that both male and female skaters need to be at a certain weight to perform their base (not too light, as well as not too heavy).

And I've always wondered if some lady skaters sacrifice power to maintain a less than ideal weight. Sasha Cohen's typical one or two mistake programs come to mind. As I mentioned earlier (in this thread or another), I once heard her blaming a mistake on two pounds she didn't lose when talking to Frank in the KnC. Maybe it was actually the opposite - less strength and power to several pounds too few.

Megan Duhamel is doing just that with by blogging about her vegan diet, and I think she is involved in promoting that diet and advising skaters about how to eat healthy.

Frank never coaches Sasha Cohen, and Kwan never made any comments like that.

Japanfan

Frank never coaches Sasha Cohen, and Kwan never made any comments like that.

Sorry, my thinking was incorrect I guess. I'm quite sure I do correctly recall Sasha making a comment about two pounds, but it must have been a different coach.

In any case I'd go back and delete the post, but it's too late.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Sorry, my thinking was incorrect I guess. I'm quite sure I do correctly recall Sasha making a comment about two pounds, but it must have been a different coach.

In any case I'd go back and delete the post, but it's too late.

Your memory is accurate. Sasha did say that to whoever was her coach at the time -- John Nicks, I think.

Finsta

Sasha was a tiny girl. Always scared me she would break landing those jumps. Crazy she thought two pounds was reason for falls. 😳.

Tinami Amori

Sasha was a tiny girl. Always scared me she would break landing those jumps. Crazy she thought two pounds was reason for falls. 😳.
Oh, yes..... this (see below) body type is so much safer, and so many are like him, and it is much better than special, unique, elegant and hard to get body of Sasha Cohen, that so FEW women get to have... and die of jealousy but hide their resentment by quoting elements from "Politically Correct" agenda..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUxgWM2hCo

canbelto

Speaking of disordered eating, anyone remember Katia Gordeeva recalling how little she ate during the Calgary games? And how she randomly cut things out of her diet because she was convinced it was bad for her?

Tinami Amori

Speaking of disordered eating, anyone remember Katia Gordeeva recalling how little she ate during the Calgary games? And how she randomly cut things out of her diet because she was convinced it was bad for her?
and yet she is still, gorgeous and THIN..... and looks 10 years younger... than most. :D
http://ru.hellomagazine.com/images/2015/october/seva/karmen1-21102015.jpg

so few people can do it in her age and after 2 children... nanu nanu nanu nanu..... :D
https://www.segodnya.ua/img/article/5735/24_main.jpg
... and yes! she "did do it herself", no redistribution, nobody "did it for her" not the highways, not the economy, not the social programmes... she has no fat to share.

canbelto

and yet she is still, gorgeous and THIN..... and looks 10 years younger... than most. :D
http://ru.hellomagazine.com/images/2015/october/seva/karmen1-21102015.jpg

so few people can do it in her age and after 2 children... nanu nanu nanu nanu..... :D
https://www.segodnya.ua/img/article/5735/24_main.jpg
... and yes! she "did do it herself", no redistribution, nobody "did it for her" not the highways, not the economy, not the social programmes... she has no fat to share.

Tinami I wouldn't make assumptions that just because someone looks good that there weren't unhealthy habits and years of disordered eating. For instance I know that many skaters smoke, supposedly as an appetite suppressant. There isn't anything unhealthier for an athlete than smoking, and yet skaters do it to stay thin.

I think in general the figure skating community needs to be more open about disordered eating and weight issues. I feel like letting it get to Gracie Gold/Yulia Lipnitskaya levels is a tragedy.

Japanfan

I don't remember that, but vaguely remember saying in My Sergei that she lost five pounds to help Sergei, because she didn't know what else to do. Sorry, I don't remember the exact context in which the comment was made.

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
It was during her comeback from injury/return to competitive skating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpk0tCaEvIU&t=5m21s&feature=youtu.be

Honestly, I think she looked thinner in 2010 compared to her previous competitive years.

Not that I disagree with the theory of Sasha's disordered eating... because I absolutely agree she looked more brittle during her comeback than previous, imho... but she was talking about her stomach specifically. Was she ill, and discussing something related to that?

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Not that I disagree with the theory of Sasha's disordered eating... because I absolutely agree she looked more brittle during her comeback than previous, imho... but she was talking about her stomach specifically. Was she ill, and discussing something related to that?

I don’t think she was ill. Most athletes have a number on the scale they see as their “ideal” competitive weight; a lot of it being superstitutious...the weight that brought them the best results once or the weight they simply feel the most comfortable and confident.

This is what Sasha says:
I told you, I was so busy thinking about my stomach I couldn’t think about anything else...considering I have two extra pounds on my stomach.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don’t think she was ill. Most athletes have a number on the scale they see as their “ideal” competitive weight; a lot of it being superstitutious...the weight that brought them the best results once or the weight they simply feel the most comfortable and confident.

This is what Sasha says:

No, I heard what she said. I hoped/wondered if it was something that made her sick contributing to that "two pounds" in her stomach. There have been rumours about Sasha's eating habits forever. It seemed strange of her to be so open about it in the K&C.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
No, I heard what she said. I hoped/wondered if it was something that made her sick contributing to that "two pounds" in her stomach. There have been rumours about Sasha's eating habits forever. It seemed strange of her to be so open about it in the K&C.
I think it’s more indicative of how normalized that sort of thinking and behavior is in the sport.

Huge grain of salt, but Sasha at least seems to have a healthy relationship with food per her social media.

Japanfan

She probably wasn't aware that the microphone would pick that comment up and broadcast it to everyone watching.

Huge grain of salt, but Sasha at least seems to have a healthy relationship with food per her social media.

That may be true. I'm not able to comment specifically on Sasha, but will point out that people often tend to keep eating disorders/disordered eating secret, and present an image of health to the world.

VGThuy

I think Sasha focused on the 2 lbs on her stomach because she was rushing a come back in 2010 and thought she needed her 2006 21-year-old body back. I think if she had more seasons to make the come back, she and her team would have paced her comeback better and maybe adapted to her body being just a little different. The fact is she was very thin in 2010 even compared to 2006 and even 2002, where she looked more fit and athletic in comparison even with a more willowy build than most skaters.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none

VGThuy

I agree Gordeeva looks gorgeous, and I also agree that she looks 47. Many women are gorgeous in their 40s and beyond. I get that youth is great because your body is fit and all, but I wish women would stop being told things looking younger is better, etc. It just fits in to the whole idea that a woman's worth is tied to her age (child-bearing age).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information