Takahiko Kozuka interview (Part 2&3 added)

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Kozuka interview Part 1
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201603260003-spnavi?p=1

Edited to add: Part 2 is here
Edited to add: Part 3 is here

Tidbits:

When he knew it was time to retire:
- There was an "itch" long before, and what nudged him towards it was when he "felt something" taking his final pose of his free skating at Japan Nationals.

How his coach, Nobuo Sato reacted when Kozuka told of his decision:
- All of them (Nobuo Sato, Kumiko Sato and Reiko Kobayashi) seemed to have "known" or "noticed" all along.
Before the free skate, his boot lace fell off. While Kumiko Sato and Reiko Kobayashi were trying to get it right, like "there's only 30 seconds to fix this!", Nobuo Sato was completely calm. "He looked like he didn't bother about the scores. All he seemed to care about was "let Takahiko deliver the program".

Asked if he has any regrets: "Never got to do a back flip" (LOL!) Other than that, he doesn't have any regrets.

The interviewer remembers that 2 years ago, Kozuka wished to do "one more perfect performance on an international competition" and that didn't happen: Kozuka may agree but then disagrees. He did deliver the free skate at Japan Nationals 2014. And that program "Io ci saro" was one that he was waiting for. Kozuka believes that "Io ci saro" was a program only he was allowed to do. Putting all of his emotions in that skate for Japan Nationals was enough. He can't ask for more.

Asked why he's not doing ice shows anymore etc.: His decision to work at Toyota means he cannot train everyday. It's impossible for him to skate out of mere habit.

Asked of his decision to leave figure skating (coach, pro, etc): There are 3 options for figure skaters. 1. Be a member of the Japanese skating federation, 2. Do ice shows and 3. Become a coach.
"But in my opinion, those fields all looked crowded, fully packed. So I took another option, to work for an international company (Toyota). I also think there's much more for me to learn through working here than from skating."

"Mr. Akio Toyota (Toyota's CEO) is also another reason. He values his employees very much."
Coaching did cross his mind, but decided the timing isn't right.

He love skating so it will never leave his mind. In the future however, he's not sure. He may never come back to the skating world, OR he might be back earlier than expected.

He will be involved with Japan Olympic Committee.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Please do come back for shows and participation in figure skating Takahiko! We miss you so much already. :saint: :respec:

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Kozuka interview part 2
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201604020007-spnavi
Snippets from the interview.

Asked to describe his life as a figure skater:
In one word, "fun". I don't know if it's in my blood (his father and grand father were figure skaters), and that Nobuo (Sato) sensei teaching me, I'm now able to "skate".
Unfortunately, you don't use skating in everyday life(laughs), but I'm certain that this experience will help me in the future.

What was his happiest moment in skating?
He has two.
1. Winning silver at Worlds (2011)
2. Vancouver Olympics. Vancouver was especially fun because he was with Daisuke Takahashi and Nobunari Oda.
(I remember enjoying all of their interviews. It was clear they enjoyed each other's company and was having a great time.)
You receive a badge for competing at the Olympics and Kozuka's badge is placed at home along with his father's (Ice dance for Grenoble Olympics 1968). That sight makes him very proud.

Are there any skaters outside Japan he's good friends with?
Charlie White and Alex/Maia Shibutani. He also used to have dinner with Patrick Chan (when both entered the same competitions). Chan would often act as an interpreter(French) at European comps for him.

Any frustrating memories?
He has one in his junior days and 2 in his seniors.

Finishing 6th at 2003 Japan Junior nationals. He missed Japan nationals (he had to finish 5th or higher).

The 2 in seniors were the free skate at 2004 Japan Nationals. He was 1st after the short, but bombed the FS and ended up 4th. The results would determine the team for World junior, World championships and 4CC. JSF however skipped the 4th finisher and went for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th skaters for the team.
Says Kozuka, "I wasn't frustrated. I was fumed."

The second one would be missing Soti Olympics. (Kozuka finished 3rd at Japan Nationals, but JSF chose Takahashi who was 5th over him)
He was sad for not making the Olympic team, but he learned a lot through that experience. He feels it was worth it.

The moment he felt "fully accomplished"
Taking the final pose at last year's Japan Nationals. He thinks it's the "It's over!" accomplishment.

On choreographers:
Did the choreographers have any influence on him and if yes, what is it?

Most of the programs they made were a little "above" his level. He couldn't pull it off in the beginning, then gradually starts to "catch up". Repeating that cycle enabled him to grow.
"I felt that their programs were to make me realize what I *need* now and what is the *next step*"

Any interesting episodes?
Yuka Sato
: Easy to skate. Can skate naturally to it. (he uses the word "onaji keito" which means "same system" or related. I don't know whether it means that Sato's program are all kind of related (which makes it easy for him to skate), OR that he and Sato has similar minds so he can understand???)

Kurt Browning: He was a huge fan of Browning and was elated to have him as a choregrapher. "He is always coming up with ideas, it was fun"

Lori Nichol: She can do so many things. "She starts by "you can do this, or do that" and like solving a puzzle she puts pieces together. And are they so seamless. It fits with the music."

David Wilson: "He's a genius. You ask him for a program, he's mixes things together and bam! you have it."

Sandra Bezic: She helped him with his 2008 program "Take 5".
"I believe that her "Save the last dance for me" program completed my skating style. She gave me a starting point."

Kenji Miyamoto: He choreographed for the last 2 seasons. He became a person I can seek advice.

Were there any music (genre) he couldn't bring to the ice?
- He remembers saying "Would like to skate to Bolero one day" a long time ago. Now, he thinks that Bolero is impossible to perform at his age (or anything). "I can't say I'll be back, but if I were to, I'd have to age and go through a lot to skate to "Bolero". It will outshine you. I know there's a lot of Bolero programs out there but it's Torvill and Dean to me. If you're gonna do it, you need to surpass that (T&D). If not, you won't leave an impression.
Oh and if you are going to ask "Ok, so *when* are you planning to perform it?", well, I'm not coming back (laughs).
Isn't that the best way to leave? To leave with a little "loose ends"?

Last edited:

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Part III

http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201604020008-spnavi?platform=hootsuite
He answers to fan's Q&A

<Snippets>

Q: Which skater from your personal view has the best basic skating skills?
- My answer would be Patrick (Chan). His turns are solid, never shakey. I assumes its all from training with the late Mr. Osborne Colson, who taught him compulsories. Patrick's toe steps are so smooth, you first think he's skating through. His programs are constituted by every single element. And that summarizes his skating.

Q: What is the future of your skating blades (he co-developed with an Aichi company)
- Since I had no problems with it for 2 years, it will continue on. (Takahito) Mura-kun has starting wearing them this season, and Mariko Kihara-chan is also using them. How they feel is all that matters. Mura-kun must have is comfortable length, weight etc, and so is Mariko-chan. The blades can go on without me.

Q: What did you do to upset Mr. Sato the most?
- Why do they all ask the same question?(laughs)
2 or 3 years ago, I wasn't focused on training. Mr. Sato said "If you are going to keep doing that kind of training. stop and go home!"
I agreed and went home (laughs).
I returned to the rink after classes and he asked me where the he** I've been. When I replied that I've been attending classes, his reply was "Baka yaro (idiot)".(laughs)
Oh, and when I was playing around kicking stones, it hit Mr. Sato(laughs).
He shouted "Baka yaro (idiot)" withering in pain (laughs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information