Survivor S41

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Is no one watching Survivor this season? Has FSU forgotten our hoary old standby? Are people turned off by how woke the show is ("people on the internet" certainly are)? Is it Jeff's new :scream: look? Or the stupid "play along at home" games?

I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I accidentally spoiled myself on the boot. Based on that one's pre-game interview, I had him pegged to go first and am feeling smug that I was almost right on that.

PeterG

Of course we are talking about Survivor! 🙂

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The boot this week was actually no fault of his own rather than paranoia about all the twists. I don't think he really was obnoxious in what we saw of him. Jeff was so busy screaming at the weak link of the team during the challenge that he had no voice the rest of the episode.

We will see how this goes, but the twist with the hidden immunity is pretty severe. Imagine the teams becoming buddy-buddy and telling others not to find their hidden parchment or not to open it.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I gotta say, I like the twist on the idol. Idols have become so powerful in the past, this kind of makes you really work for the power you get with it.

I don't see the yellow team winning a challenge, as they currently are. Tiffany is weak and annoying. Glad Xander stayed, although it doesn't seem like it will be for long, with no vote and no real allies.

I like the other two guys who went on the hike last week, Danny and J.D. (?) I hope they do well on their teams. It seems like most are playing pretty hard right now, so good for them.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I'm watching but am getting my episodes a day late. I must be missing something though because I heard them mention those at home can play along but I am not seeing how? Maybe this is something only for those watching as it airs? I must have also missed what happened prior to this season that caused the whole "guys" conversation. And yes, Jeff looks weird this season. Had me wondering if he had been sick or something.

I don't follow Survivor on social media for obvious reasons so these all may be stupid questions.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
We will see how this goes, but the twist with the hidden immunity is pretty severe. Imagine the teams becoming buddy-buddy and telling others not to find their hidden parchment or not to open it.
Yeah. It would be enough, I think, to have to have all three people says their weird little phrases at the immunity challenges without having to lose their votes. What if no one ever finds the poisoned chalice in one of the tribes?
I don't see the yellow team winning a challenge, as they currently are. Tiffany is weak and annoying. Glad Xander stayed, although it doesn't seem like it will be for long, with no vote and no real allies.
I like Xander, but yes, I don't think he will be long for the game. I do not at all understand the thinking with Tiffany. Yes, they want a girls' alliance, but what do they think is going to happen to their girls' alliance after Xander goes? They are running the game? Yeah, but where are they running it to?

I'm watching but am getting my episodes a day late. I must be missing something though because I heard them mention those at home can play along but I am not seeing how?
There are two ways to play at home--one is just that they share things in advance, like when Jeff hid the hidden immunity clue in the tree in the first episode, and the other is that every week they flash a rebus puzzle on the screen for kids. If you blink, you will miss it.
I must have also missed what happened prior to this season that caused the whole "guys" conversation.
I don't know if anything specific happened; I think it goes back to the tribal councils past where they talked about sexism, racism and gender bias on the show.
And yes, Jeff looks weird this season. Had me wondering if he had been sick or something.
My husband says Jeff looks like someone who has cut all the fat out of his diet and has been working out a lot--very veiny and cut. Jeff also looks pale, at least on my screen, which doesn't help.

smurfy

I'm watching and so glad all of you are here. I saw the first episode live and it was great. Then this past weeks episode, I watched a day late - it was good, but I couldn't remember who the people were that I had figured out the week before.
Getting spoiled with binging shows. But Survivor (and Big Brother & Amazing Race) - I like to watch weekly and see posts here and elsewhere to see what everyone is thinking.

Tiffany - so annoying and just doesn't seem trustworthy. The way she was talking to the other ladies about voting Voce out - was so pushy physically - I felt she was getting in their personal space and not listening nor explaining well what she wanted.
Voce - he seemed decent to me and wish he was still there.
Note to BB fans - on PrimerTVForums - it was posted that Tiffany is just like Big Brother's Derek F - useless, but takes credit. lol
to non BB fans - Derek F (for Frazier, son of heavyweight champ smokin Joe) was a useless floater, won no comps and at the end claimed credit for one of the most successful 6 way alliances.

I want to like Evie - but I think she could get on my nerves.
Pastor Lady - possibly really annoying.
Yes - the 2 guys that went on the hike - I like both of them and they way they connected.
JD - still seems annoying.
Xander - it will be silly to see next week when he says that phrase again, and maybe even the week after? lol

I agree about how confusing the idols/advantages are getting. I do wonder what someone watching for the first time is thinking. Especially since most players are fans some of the lingo is 'insider'.
I have said this many times - I wish they went back to the beginning and have no idols/advantages. I think it would be a hoot watching people searching for idols and there are none.

another note on the season of BB that just ended - it was very good, a very deserving person won, a 6 person alliance formed very early on of all african americans that made it to the final 6, the shows first african american winner, more than the usual players were pretty smart and overall everyone got along well and there was none of the junior high cliques and bullying. some might say a big boring, but it was nice to see (IMHO).

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'm watching! I've missed a few seasons over the years but was really looking forward to this, and so far so good. Random comments:

I want to like Evvie too, but her cadence is sort of jolting at times when she speaks. Also totally :blah: at yet another attempt at a women's alliance. They so rarely work, and while I can see Evvie and Liana going far together, Tiffany is too erratic to be relied on. And, Evie is already playing more than one side and declaring herself "in the middle," which is never a good thing.

Other thing - Tiffany while apparently hunting hard for an idol didn't check one of the most obvious spots I've ever seen for one. She lacks focus I think.

JD is coming on way too strong. Maybe he'll settle in if at some point some older players get him to chill out, like the football player dude from the hike, liked him.

I want to love Xander except for that hair (can we snark this?). I'm literally leaning over on the couch to get around it, and it annoys me how much time he seems to spend adjusting it. He's a very handsome man, doesn't need that falling lock, ugh. I want him to last though, I like his playing style. It thought it very wise when he spoke of why he was going to tell the truth, how he doesn't understand why everyone wants to lie all the time because it's hard to keep up. Plus, like so many twists in the past where players must leave camp for a time, other players will know soon enough that you lied. Also was :lol: at him delivering his butterfly line. I mean truly, when they get as far as the broccoli one, everyone is going to think someone found some hallucinogens in the jungle.

Saw the rebus puzzles at the challenges, a bit disappointing perhaps for those "playing a game within a game." Seems rather simple when I think of a show like Lost that had so many layers of details and ways for serious/obsessed fans to be part of it outside the weekly airing of the show.

Fangirl me is quite thrilled every time they show us the crew though! :cheer2:

The "guy" thing was unnecessary to me, but then again, here we are. I've never had an issue with the double use of the word guy, I barely notice it, probably say it myself all the time. Almost felt like Ricard had an extra think not so much on the word, but on the opportunity to put the spotlight on himself. LOL just looked up the cast list and his surname is Foyé.

Speaking of, turns out Voce is his surname, it's David first name, and I'm sorry he's gone. Seemed like a smart player who was going to struggle with getting others to see the light, would have been interesting. I don't think he did anything wrong, other than being on a losing tribe and having a one in five chance of leaving.

The complications of who can vote and who can't vote and who might have an extra vote would seem to be sort of iffy, because with such small tribes surely it's going to get noticed that someone didn't vote?

As for the rest, we'll see. Hope you are all here for the ride - always more fun with you guys!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Xander - it will be silly to see next week when he says that phrase again, and maybe even the week after? lol
I assumed that he didn't have to say it again; the clue says that all three phrases have to be spoken at an immunity challenge, but it doesn't say that the phrases have to all be spoken at the same immunity challenge and I think, as a practical issue, it wouldn't work that way. Say that Xander gets voted out this week; the entire deal would be shot if all three phrases had to be spoken at the same tribal. If that happened, I think it would be one of those things that Survivor edited out, never to be seen or spoken of again.
I'm watching!
:cheer2:
Other thing - Tiffany while apparently hunting hard for an idol didn't check one of the most obvious spots I've ever seen for one. She lacks focus I think.
She must have some great social skills we don't see, as she certainly doesn't seem like an asset in any other way.
The "guy" thing was unnecessary to me, but then again, here we are. I've never had an issue with the double use of the word guy, I barely notice it, probably say it myself all the time.
I say it in class all the time, only now I think "Wait--should I stop saying this?" :lol: But then I say it again ten minutes later. I don't know how Jeff manages.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I say it in class all the time, only now I think "Wait--should I stop saying this?" :lol: But then I say it again ten minutes later. I don't know how Jeff manages.
Perhaps 15 years ago I was working with a group of people who were all female. I'd sometimes start an email with "Ladies," until someone said they didn't like that. It was a small group of women, all married to men. Since when do you not want to be called a lady? It's sometimes interesting to see who actually objects to these things.

And back to topic, good point about saying the phrases, and I gotta say a bit brave of Xander to do that. I thought he did the best he could with it, and even though it raised eyebrows, seemed authentic enough coming from a young kid. What could be really funny is when you think of who else might end up having to work something like that into conversation! Of course, by the time they get to the third one, probably a lot of players will know what's happening so it will be pretty much "hey I have the third one!"

Which, I only watched it Monday night and I've already forgotten what one gets for all this effort :shuffle:

PeterG

Since when do you not want to be called a lady?

I was told by a woman who was born in the UK that Lady was seen by some as classist. Those with historical wealth (who hoarded their wealth while others suffered) who used their financial power to oppress others.

It also has the connotation that I think @MacMadame just referred to as females should behave in a lady-like manner...basically do as you're told. Don't think for yourself and follow the status quo. On a more extreme level, get back in the kitchen. And are you pregnant yet???

Jenny

From the Bloc
Well I've been schooled then! Never bothered me, but I guess as with so many things it depends on context and intent.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Well I've been schooled then! Never bothered me, but I guess as with so many things it depends on context and intent.
Everyone has their things that bother them and that don't bother them. This is why I think it makes more sense to just say "Oh, okay" if someone says you have bothered them with something you said. And try to do better next time. So many people (not saying you, just in general) will argue about it instead.

Like "guys" to bring it back to the original discussion. It doesn't bother me and I even used to use it but I know it bothers some people so now I don't.

Susan1

Everyone has their things that bother them and that don't bother them. This is why I think it makes more sense to just say "Oh, okay" if someone says you have bothered them with something you said. And try to do better next time. So many people (not saying you, just in general) will argue about it instead.

Like "guys" to bring it back to the original discussion. It doesn't bother me and I even used to use it but I know it bothers some people so now I don't.
When he said "guys", I took it more to mean like "you guys" (all of you/everybody). He wouldn't say "guys" if it was all women. If a waiter goes up to a table full of women, is he supposed to say "how are you women today" or whatever. Ladies is just a nice, general term for females (too cold), women (too old), girls (too young).

Sparks

How about, "Come on in!!!"
How about "What can I get for you this evening?"

Jenny

From the Bloc
I have heard and probably used the term guys for a group of all women. It's a casual catchall IMO. It's also a term for a group of men that means pretty much the same thing, although it can be used more specifically and then it's definitely a gender thing, ie. "he's a guy's guy" or "she's always been one of the guys."

Personally I've never liked the word woman for me. Too political. But I don't make a fuss of it either.

But on to more exciting things!!

Poor Brad, I was just starting to like him. Note that for the second time, Genie was not part of the group vote. It's possible they left her out because she was aligned with Brad (or so it seemed to the viewer) or it was a safety vote in case Brad was immune or something. I can see wanting to get rid of people with pockets full of advantages (he told several, plus he went to a summit so they knew he had to have something) but at the same time that very person might have been able to save themselves so maybe that's why Genie voted JD, I don't know. She didn't vote with them last TC either.

All these conditional advantages/rewards are vvv confusing though, no? Do they really think we can keep track of all this :COP:or do they do it to keep our attention? There are so many conditions too, like we thought that the funny phrases had to be said only once, but apparently not as Xander had to "respond" to Brad. Xander's going to be pissed when he sees that Brad is gone, because by the looks of things, he's back to square one waiting for someone else to find it. Would be sorta fun if someone else who either read the parchment or who has figured out that something is going on could jump in and say it, but I'm sure this is limited to the person who found it.

I do like all these opportunities to interact with members of other tribes before any switches or merges. I was also interested to see them studying a map in quest of an HII (wait, have there been any yet?) because I'm guessing that's also the map that prevents them from going too far from camp, like say to meet up with another tribe, or spy on challenge builds. Which would have been fun too :)

BaileyCatts

I agree that the advantage things are too confusing ... at least to me, but that's cause I don't pay attention. :lol: I was wondering what happens now that Brad is gone with the 'broccoli' clue thing, so they just hide it again for someone else to find? If people with Brad already read it, if it was me and I found it, and I see how it really relies on 3 separate people to get the advantage, I think I would leave it and not take it. Too risky to lose your vote on the chance that all 3 clues are said at a challenge.

And after Brad said the 'broccoli' thing, did Jeff sort of 'prompt' Xander to say his phrase? Cause that is what it seemed like to me. But again ... I don't pay attention. :lol:

Good lord that Tiffany woman is annoying!!! I'd vote her off just because she would get on my last freaking nerve out there.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Something to watch for - apparently Ricard is deaf in one ear, and relies a lot on lip reading, which could be very interesting in a game like this! He is the third deaf or hard of hearing person to play the game.

Also, saw a mention somewhere of Survivor's love of the heartwarming and sometimes dramatic loved ones visit. Given the quarantine rules on Fiji (which is the real reason the season is short, they had to account for two week quarantines for all staff, definitely an impact on budget) it's likely there will be no family visit. Discuss? Sometimes I've enjoyed them, but mostly they take up a lot of time when we are so deep into strategy, so I'd be happy without it.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I agree that the advantage things are too confusing ... at least to me, but that's cause I don't pay attention. :lol: I was wondering what happens now that Brad is gone with the 'broccoli' clue thing, so they just hide it again for someone else to find? If people with Brad already read it, if it was me and I found it, and I see how it really relies on 3 separate people to get the advantage, I think I would leave it and not take it. Too risky to lose your vote on the chance that all 3 clues are said at a challenge.
Didn't they have to decide whether to take it or not before they read it? I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I thought that was how it went down with Xander--he had to decide to take it or put it back without opening it.

BaileyCatts

Yeah they have to decide before opening but Brad was with someone so other people know what it says now.

So if I was on Brad's team and found it if they hide it again, I wouldn't take the advantage.

Last edited:

smurfy

I don' mind the family visits.
Pros - sometimes I see a nicer/different side of someone I don't like, and sometimes a good player is shown having a great conversation w loved breaking down the game.
Cons - takes too much time

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Watching it late since i was on vacation this past week; I figured Brad would be gone when he suddenly was the star of the episode. They usually don't hide boots well when that happens, and especially since he had no vote. I won't miss him. Wondering if/when they will merge into 2 teams, or if that won't happen until the big merge. I guess it depends on whether yellow continues to lose most of the challenges.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I liked Brad and I would have kept him over JD, who is too much of a wild card for me. I also thought Brad took his boot exceptionally well.

Agree that all these twists are too complicated. It's one thing to stir the pot, another to teach everyone in the game that taking an advantage is likely to backfire. And I was laughing when everyone who saw the clue for the boat ride went "It was RIGHT THERE in plain sight."

Anything that easy to get in Survivor has to be poisonous.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
After a hiatus of a few years, I am back on the Survivor train! Have only seen the premiere, so have not read all the posts in this thread.

I don't mind some of the new twists - yes, excessive, but so far ok - but I don't like Jeff's touchy-feely breaking the 4th wall part.

I appreciated the discussion around "Come on in, guys!". I find the word guys as generic as saying coke when you mean cola, but also understand that language is shifting, and I try to not say it anymore.

I would have kept Abraham over Tiffany - didn't get that at all. People talked about her social game but her air time in the premiere didn't reveal it. Brad reminds me of Matt from Survivor Amazon - smart guy but not familiar with what is needed for this game.

Excited to get caught up!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Am now caught up!

Tiffany, Tiffany, Tiffany. She is nervous, panicky, bad at challenges, and basically badgered her alliance into changing their vote. I agree with Evie about what usually happens in an alliance with 1 woman and the rest being guys, but Tiffany is not someone to hang your alliance on. I think my least favorite part of this season is that they started with 3 tribes of 6, with a double TC right off the bat. A lot of the fussy twists with the idol would work better if there were more people on the tribes to hide the fact that someone is voteless.

I didn't want either Brad or JD to go. JD is kind of a wild card but he already seems like he is calming down a bit. Genie has gotten almost no air time - the little flare up with Ricard at TC was surprising because she's been pretty invisible. Even when Brad said he and Genie found the idol together it took several moments to bring her into the frame :lol:

Pretty sure that the idol phrases must be spoken in the SAME immunity challenge in order to activate the idols. So poor Xander will be talking about butterflies being dead relatives at least one more time. Of course, everyone seems to be sharing their sekret powers with everyone anyway, but if there's anyone left who doesn't know about it, they will once the other 2 idols are found (assuming Brad's gets replanted).

Heather, the season's most invisible player, sat out back to back challenges. I thought that couldn't happen.

The "guy" thing was unnecessary to me, but then again, here we are. I've never had an issue with the double use of the word guy, I barely notice it, probably say it myself all the time. Almost felt like Ricard had an extra think not so much on the word, but on the opportunity to put the spotlight on himself.
When they did Ricard's background fluff piece and he said his husband is a trans man, I was shocked that he hadn't objected to the use of 'guys', as that language evolution is largely driven by trans inclusion. It did not surprise me one bit when he spoke up later, and I would imagine it was exactly as he said - he thought about it and felt that not saying something would mean more outside the game than saying something in the game. That they showed Evie's response ("as a queer woman, I'm fine with it") was a bit of a fakeout, as we're largely not the drivers of this change. We're usually the ones objecting to being called ladies ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information