Stupid tech question for you UX/UI types

Jayar

At my organization, we use a series of letters and numbers that get assigned to individual assets so that those assets can get pulled up when a hotlink is clicked. This series would be specific and unique to a single asset. Our organization has a company-inspired name for those numbers, but nobody knows what the tech world calls them. We are new to this, so I am trying to find out if there is a real-world name for them. Anybody know?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
My first thought was GUID, Global Unique Identifier, but those are numeric and computer generated with no significance to the sequence,

You’d be safe in calling your things Asset IDs.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
THey are probably Asset IDs but depending on how they are generated, they might be UIDs.

Usually an Asset Id (or any Id for that matter) has some kind of significance that can be divined from looking at the number. So, for example, at my company a certain product has an Asset Id that is a 4 digit number and they are assigned sequentially. A User ID is a also a number that is assigned sequentially but it corresponds to the record number in the database. Because we don't want the world to know that information, we also assign a UID which is hash that makes no sense to the user. It's generated by the computer randomly. That's what gets displayed publicly and is also used in the API.

UID just means "unique identifier" so it's really no different than an ID. It's just the way us techie people like to sound smart. :D

Jayar

Thank you to both of you. This is super helpful. And now I get to say 'Haha!' to everyone who thought I was crazy that there would be a real world name for this! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information