Stock photography websites

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Someone in my painting class told me about a stock photography website that allows artists to use their photos for free. So I looked up the website for Morguefile, which she was using. I don't normally use photos from the internet for my paintings but it seems there are many beautiful ones there, so I wanted to check them out.

It seems I could either use their photos and/or upload some of mine. I read through their rules and policies. It was not clear to me if you get paid if someone uses your photo. The other thing was - this got me concerned- they access your personal information through the internet and they could publish it, if you upload a photo. It sounded like if you 'like' a photo on that website, or use one, they could still get your personal information.

Another concern is that the website requires us to not distribute that picture without making changes to anyone else. I have been posting pictures on Viewbug and one more photo website. Although I never sold anything, someone may want to buy one some day (I hope). In that case I may run into some kind of a legal challenge. I am totally ignorant about stock photography. I am sure someone on fsu will know about this.

They mentioned paypal, but if I am using this for free, why would they need my paypal account?

I am actually interested in uploading some of my photos to Stock photography websites if they would pay me for the use of my photos.

So my questions are:

Is anyone familiar with this or similar websites that allow artists (or others) to use the photos for free?

Did you have any privacy concerns or do you feel safe using that site or sites?

What other sites have you accessed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Vash, I wish I could help with that answer. I don't know how it works with photography, but I do know as an author. I sent off for a copyright with the Library of Congress years before I ever got my poems and short stories published.

I've seen a lot of professional photographers have their name or organization on the photos especially with photographers that are hired for weddings, special events, etc. Whenever my family had family reunions, we would hire a photographer to take group photos because there were so many relatives that attended.

I don't know much about these photography sites that you mentioned, but be sure to check them out thoroughly before you submit a lot of your photos. Make sure it's not something that you would end up having to pay out a lot of money for. Also read everything about the terms and FAQs if you're looking at using other photographer's photos for painting.

I've probably given you wrong advice because I really don't know a lot about photography for that purpose. I also don't know a lot about stock photos.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Vash, I wish I could help with that answer. I don't know how it works with photography, but I do know as an author. I sent off for a copyright with the Library of Congress years before I ever got my poems and short stories published.

I've seen a lot of professional photographers have their name or organization on the photos especially with photographers that are hired for weddings, special events, etc. Whenever my family had family reunions, we would hire a photographer to take group photos because there were so many relatives that attended.

I don't know much about these photography sites that you mentioned, but be sure to check them out thoroughly before you submit a lot of your photos. Make sure it's not something that you would end up having to pay out a lot of money for. Also read everything about the terms and FAQs if you're looking at using other photographer's photos for painting.

I've probably given you wrong advice because I really don't know a lot about photography for that purpose. I also don't know a lot about stock photos.

No problem. The woman in my class said that site allows artists to use the photos for free. However, while reading their policies I became concerned about their privacy rules. I will ask her again if she has consulted with anyone. Also some other painters in the class may know about it, and also about posting my photos on that site- whether it is safe. I have no problem with others using those to create their paintings, but the site sounds like they don't allow you to distribute the photos to others, so I am concerned.

I will definitely thoroughly research this before I commit to anything.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Vash01 if the site is saying that other artists can use the photos for free, how is it making money? If it is charging you to post your photos for others to use, that doesn't seem like a very good deal from your end.

Also depending on the quality/resolution of the images you post online, there is often nothing to stop someone else from downloading your photos and claiming them as their own work, and then selling or using them elsewhere.

It sounds like you have a honest motivation in wanting to share ideas/inspiration with other artists. But quite honestly there are so many issues around privacy, licensing and usage with sites like these - and most of them not in favour of the artist/creator - that I wouldn't get involved with them.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I am not sure about your privacy concern, I don't think the issue is clear to me.

I have used various free stock photo sites - such as pexels or unsplash - and as far as I understand it the photographers supply the images for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. On pexels, for instance, the photoes are free for any legal purpose, no accreditation needed. I think most people just supply the images 'for fun' and if you are looking for a specific type it is hard to find.

I think to make money, you would find a stock photo site that requires it's users to pay. I am not sure how that works.

Spun Silver

I have a limited interest in and experience with photography and stock photo houses so I took a look at Morguefile and think I can answer some of your Qs.

1. You don't get paid for your photos there. People donate the use of their photos and others use them for free. It is a communal project, kind of like a charity. I've seen free clip art and free font (typeface) sites something like that.

2. They have two levels of membership, basic and premium (I don't recall what they called them but basic/premium membership levels are common). Premium is by subscription and allows you to deal with Quests, whatever those are. I didn't immediately understand that but my guess is that you can only search the site or respond to others' searches via the subscription service. That doesn't really make sense so I probably misunderstood and am too tired at the moment to study it further. Anyway they make their money through the subscription part of the site.

3. The thing about distributing photos and changes. Anyone who uses their photos is called a distributor. What they are saying is that you either have to change the photo and make it yours, OR give credit to the photographer. Nothing unreasonable there.

4. Their privacy language kind of freaked me out but I have a feeling the same kind of language is contained in the fine print I falsely claim to have read when I use a new app or whatever. (I am actually blanking out on the exact circumstances in which I get a pop up box that requires me to click that I've read the conditions, but everybody does the same thing I do -- sighs and lies -- or they would spend their lives reading tiny print legal contracts.) My reaction was, at least this company or organization is being honest and open. Since I don't need this site, I am going to back out without confirming my registration, but if it were a site I did need, I would google "Morguefile reviews" or check their BBB page or something like that and then just go with it. TBH there is very little privacy left these days as far as I can see. I am sure I have signed mine away 100 times.

5. I did a test signup to see what you meant, and didn't get a request for my Paypal email, so I don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you signed up for the subscription membership? If so, they would need a way to bill you and Paypal is wise for you because it protects your financial info. I like Paypal. I am not sure what they would want besides your email address for Paypal anyway.

6. About paying stock photo houses, I have only bought, not sold photos. I used iStock Photo or something like that and had a good experience. I would just search their menu until I found the part directed at photographers. They may have an arrangement where you don't get paid until someone uses your photo. That would be my guess. Be sure to check the terms of use for users of photos as well as sellers to make sure you know exactly what you are selling and for how much. For example, what if someone wants to use your photo to put in a Volvo ad and make millions of dollars with it without any credit to you - is that Ok with you? Are there any restrictions on usage? Are there different rates for different kinds of buyers? Are buyers required to credit you? I'd suggest you compare a few stock photo houses' terms and conditions to see what is standard and what varies from house to house.

6a. If you are concerned about people using and abusing your work... Personal anecdote, I bought a photo to use for branding. Later in the Etsy forums I found that you are not supposed to use stock photos for commercial purposes. I honestly don't know if the person who said that was right or not - it doesn't make sense to me. My point is just that I didn't even read the Terms and Conditions carefully and use the photo however I need to. Morguefile probably can't afford to police buyers' usage of their pix and if the stock house I used saw my little shop they wouldn't much care (IMHO). JMO - I would focus on the money you'll earn and less on how your work might be misused because, from reading about other sellers' experiences on Etsy, intellectual property theft is rampant and really hard to fight, as in hire a lawyer and go to court hard. Some Etsy sellers do Google image searches to see if their photos are being stolen (and they often are), but even when you know that, there is not a lot you can do about it.

A photographers' forum would give you better advice but this is what I have.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am not sure about your privacy concern, I don't think the issue is clear to me.

I have used various free stock photo sites - such as pexels or unsplash - and as far as I understand it the photographers supply the images for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. On pexels, for instance, the photoes are free for any legal purpose, no accreditation needed. I think most people just supply the images 'for fun' and if you are looking for a specific type it is hard to find.

I think to make money, you would find a stock photo site that requires it's users to pay. I am not sure how that works.

I have not heard of Pexel. I can check them out.

What freaked me out was Morguefile wrote that they would check all my email addresses, social media sites, etc.

As Spunsilver wrote, we probably don't have any privacy anymore so it should not make a difference. She may be right.

I have a limited interest in and experience with photography and stock photo houses so I took a look at Morguefile and think I can answer some of your Qs.

1. You don't get paid for your photos there. People donate the use of their photos and others use them for free. It is a communal project, kind of like a charity. I've seen free clip art and free font (typeface) sites something like that.

2. They have two levels of membership, basic and premium (I don't recall what they called them but basic/premium membership levels are common). Premium is by subscription and allows you to deal with Quests, whatever those are. I didn't immediately understand that but my guess is that you can only search the site or respond to others' searches via the subscription service. That doesn't really make sense so I probably misunderstood and am too tired at the moment to study it further. Anyway they make their money through the subscription part of the site.

3. The thing about distributing photos and changes. Anyone who uses their photos is called a distributor. What they are saying is that you either have to change the photo and make it yours, OR give credit to the photographer. Nothing unreasonable there.

4. Their privacy language kind of freaked me out but I have a feeling the same kind of language is contained in the fine print I falsely claim to have read when I use a new app or whatever. (I am actually blanking out on the exact circumstances in which I get a pop up box that requires me to click that I've read the conditions, but everybody does the same thing I do -- sighs and lies -- or they would spend their lives reading tiny print legal contracts.) My reaction was, at least this company or organization is being honest and open. Since I don't need this site, I am going to back out without confirming my registration, but if it were a site I did need, I would google "Morguefile reviews" or check their BBB page or something like that and then just go with it. TBH there is very little privacy left these days as far as I can see. I am sure I have signed mine away 100 times.

5. I did a test signup to see what you meant, and didn't get a request for my Paypal email, so I don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps you signed up for the subscription membership? If so, they would need a way to bill you and Paypal is wise for you because it protects your financial info. I like Paypal. I am not sure what they would want besides your email address for Paypal anyway.

6. About paying stock photo houses, I have only bought, not sold photos. I used iStock Photo or something like that and had a good experience. I would just search their menu until I found the part directed at photographers. They may have an arrangement where you don't get paid until someone uses your photo. That would be my guess. Be sure to check the terms of use for users of photos as well as sellers to make sure you know exactly what you are selling and for how much. For example, what if someone wants to use your photo to put in a Volvo ad and make millions of dollars with it without any credit to you - is that Ok with you? Are there any restrictions on usage? Are there different rates for different kinds of buyers? Are buyers required to credit you? I'd suggest you compare a few stock photo houses' terms and conditions to see what is standard and what varies from house to house.

6a. If you are concerned about people using and abusing your work... Personal anecdote, I bought a photo to use for branding. Later in the Etsy forums I found that you are not supposed to use stock photos for commercial purposes. I honestly don't know if the person who said that was right or not - it doesn't make sense to me. My point is just that I didn't even read the Terms and Conditions carefully and use the photo however I need to. Morguefile probably can't afford to police buyers' usage of their pix and if the stock house I used saw my little shop they wouldn't much care (IMHO). JMO - I would focus on the money you'll earn and less on how your work might be misused because, from reading about other sellers' experiences on Etsy, intellectual property theft is rampant and really hard to fight, as in hire a lawyer and go to court hard. Some Etsy sellers do Google image searches to see if their photos are being stolen (and they often are), but even when you know that, there is not a lot you can do about it.

A photographers' forum would give you better advice but this is what I have.

Thanks so much Spunsilver for so much detail! I don't think i signed up as a subscriber, but i will check again. It makes me feel a little better that Morguefile is not doing something unusual (they all do the same things).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information