Stars on Ice 2020

RoseRed

Last year, the Canadian tour also had Duhamel/Radford,
I expect them to add more US skaters, and especially more currently competing ones. Maybe the Canadian influence will even get a pair team on board finally.
Duhamel/Radford normally do the Canadian tour, but Meagan may rather focus on coaching and her new daughter.

If they do add a different pairs team though, it may be Moore-Towers/Marinaro rather than one of the US teams, since most of the tour is Canadian dates and so far at least, they've been more successful this season. May depend on results for the rest of the season.

I don't know about who's with what agent though.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Even though Meagan is a freaking superhero, after what she went through with her daughter's birth I would be very surprised if she was ready to go on tour in May.

Colonel Green

I recall her saying somewhere (TSL?) that she wasn’t going to make any decisions on future touring for a while.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Canada and two cities in California (Let's pick two cities where Nathan may be able to skate at :lol:). That is so puzzling and random. Not surprising since the tour stops have been dwindling over the years.:cry:

Can this ever be turned around for the USA? I personally would love to see all of the Russians + Hanyu, Rika + Sui/Han + Pap/Ciz...but I doubt that the average US public would care. Oh, how I miss the 80s Tom Collins tours.

screech

A pairs team would be great. Or a ladies skater! It seems like it's almost only mens skaters. Though I'd love for Keegan to get a chance to do the show.
It would be amazing if Joannie would come back, but she's probably busy with med school (any updates on how that's going, or if she's chosen a specialty?)
Charlie/Lubov would be great. And probably more 'showstopper' than M-T/M.

livetoskate

What a disappointment that SOI has dwindled down to only 2 stops in the US. I would love to see the show but am not going to fly across the country or to Canada to see it. I hope skating is still popular enough in Canada to keep SOI profitable.

Japanfan

What a disappointment that SOI has dwindled down to only 2 stops in the US. I would love to see the show but am not going to fly across the country or to Canada to see it. I hope skating is still popular enough in Canada to keep SOI profitable.

2 stops? Wow. Hardly seems worth it, given the investment that has to made in training, choreography, and costuming.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The guess is the US stop will be mostly Canadian cast + US guest.
It is not a "guess" - you can see the cast for each stop by going to the website. There will be skaters added later they say but the "core" skaters are identified already and the suggestion (on the website) is that the additional skaters will be from those competing at Worlds. Presumably, the only extra cost for the US stops would be in travel, accommodation, etc.

mollymgr

The additional skaters will most likely be IMG represented and/or medalists at Worlds.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Is this the first year that SOI and CSOI have combined? It is sad that there will only be 2 U.S. Venues. Surely there is more interest in skating than that, or do the organizers require too much profit from each venue?

fruchick

No, it's not the first year -- not by a long shot, and I'm surprised that a few people seem to think it is.

SOI and CSOI were always combined. All through the '90s and '00s, they'd do the US dates from Lake Placid in December to Portland in April, swap out a couple cast members, and then tour Canada in May. Every year.

They only split off into two separate tours in 2014. Now, they're going back to the old way -- just flipping around which country goes first (and shaving like 58 dates off the US tour, minor detail).

Sylvia

TBD
Uh oh, I wonder which city was cut. And would they cut a city after sending out tickets? I have preordered tickets supposedly on the way....
The CSOI tour often rotates one city in the western part of the country (Saskatoon the past 2 years, Regina in 2017, etc.) and the 2020 tour will include Kelowna (the missing 12th city from the original list).

@seabm7 (thank you) used archive.org and counted the number of U.S. cities Stars on Ice visited during their spring tour going back to 2010:

2010 (Vancouver Olympics) 41 cities on the tour
2011 24
2012 9
2013 4

2014 (Sochi Olympics) 20
2015 9
2016 6
2017 7

2018 (Pyeongchang Olympics) 22
2019 13
2020 2

Katesk8sgr8s

The CSOI tour often rotates one city in the western part of the country (Saskatoon the past 2 years, Regina in 2017, etc.) and the 2020 tour will include Kelowna (the missing 12th city from the original list).

@seabm7 (thank you) used archive.org and counted the number of U.S. cities Stars on Ice visited during their spring tour going back to 2010:

2011 24
2012 9
2013 4

2014 (Sochi Olympics) 20
2015 9
2016 6
2017 7

2019 13
2020 2

Thanks. Wow- what a drop.

Teenes

Just a reminder that the Internet presale has started (password PRE2020. or KURT). General on sale is Friday 12/6.

Also, for fans on the East Coast, don't forget that there are two holiday performances of Stars on Ice with a mostly different cast at the end of December. Dec. 28 in Reading, PA and Dec. 30 in Lake Placid, NY. Cast: Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Kurt Browning, Mirai Nagasu, Bradie Tennell, Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley, Nam Nguyen, Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker, and Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier. Tickets are on sale now. https://www.starsonice.com/holiday-shows.html

fruchick

Further to the historical data, I was asking their publicist for stats last spring for a story. They said: "Kurt would have done as many as 75 dates in the late 90s/early 2000s."

Which would've included Canadian dates, so 60ish for the US. If I had to guess, I think 2002 might've been when the US dates slowly started declining?

Teenes

Because I never actually delete anything from my website, I just remove the links..

Keeping in mind this is just me counting as I scroll, so I may miscount...
In 2001-02, SOI visited 62 cities.
2002-03, 61 cities
2003-04, 60 cities
2004-05, 61 cities
2005-06, 48 cities
2006-07, 40 cities
2007-08, 40 cities

Kurt took a 3 year break from touring or guest starring in the US tour, so I stopped publishing the schedule.

2010-11 was the 25th anniversary tour, and they went to 25 cities.
2011-12, 10 cities

Then Kurt stopped touring in the US entirely, but I think others have covered those dates above. (I think I have 1 more city in the 2010-12 counts due to the Lake Placid show, maybe?)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The Anaheim presale is working now after the Ticketmaster error that plagued it for five hours.

seabm7

2010-11 was the 25th anniversary tour, and they went to 25 cities.
2011-12, 10 cities

Then Kurt stopped touring in the US entirely, but I think others have covered those dates above. (I think I have 1 more city in the 2010-12 counts due to the Lake Placid show, maybe?)

For your information, here is another number of US cities Stars on Ice visited during the spring tour. I reconstructed this info using archive.org material, so accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

2011 24
2012 9
2013 4

2014 (Sochi Olympics) 20
2015 9
2016 6
2017 7

2019 13
2020 2

By the way, this is a copy of a post from another thread. (Thanks to Sylvia who referred to this list.)

ETD: The archive.org links I used to reconstructed the 2010 spring tour schedule is this,

I heard the tour started to dwindle after Mr. Hamilton retired, which happened at the end of 2000-2001 tour.

Concerning the winter tour:
Usually there was one or two shows around New Year Eve in Lake Placid and vicinity. One year they had Sergei memorial shows with SOI alumni, instead of usual Stars on Ice show(s).

Concerning the Canadian shows:
I remember the number of Canadian shows has been quite steady, around 12.

Last edited:

fruchick

I heard the tour started to dwindle after Mr. Hamilton retired, which happened at the end of 2000-2001 tour.

It had to have been a combination of that, and the quality of the 2001-2002 tour. It was the first (and until 2020, only) time I decided to head stateside to catch a second stop. I ended up being subjected to the goddamn G-O-L-D rap. Which - lucky for y'all - seems to not be available on YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information