Soucisse & Firus Cheer Thread!

Colonel Green

Carolane, in particular, was at IAM for a long time, so I'm sure this was a hard decision.

As I think I've posted before, I was never one of the people urging them to leave Montreal (there'd been a sentiment in some quarters that this was something they should do for almost two years now), but by the middle of this season it was clear that something had to change if they were going to keep going.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think they loved the atmosphere at IAM, but it was clear by the end of the season that they were dissatisfied. I'm really glad they were dissatisfied enough to make a big change.

Regretla

I think there is a big chance that Carol Lane will help them create what they are missing,a unique personality as a team. I see them as character dancers, it's going to be very interesting to see how everything unfolds.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I´m not all that impressed with Carol Lane´s work. Outside of G/P´s programs I find the rest rather mundane and forgettable (literally).

But she might put in more effort for these two as they are coming from the it training site in the world and feel she has something to prove. Which will also be good for Caroline and Shane as Montreal already has two Canadian teams that are better.

I saw IAM wished them all the best so it´s nice to see that support.

puglover

I´m not all that impressed with Carol Lane´s work. Outside of G/P´s programs I find the rest rather mundane and forgettable (literally).

But she might put in more effort for these two as they are coming from the it training site in the world and feel she has something to prove. Which will also be good for Caroline and Shane as Montreal already has two Canadian teams that are better.

I am somewhat surprised that you feel that way. Usually when I have been at Nationals and a novice or junior team impressed me, they were coached by Scarborough. I loved MacKenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen, Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill (man their African dance was amazing), Molly and Dimitre have come a long, long way, (he also did some real fun stuff with an earlier partner), and really my favorite of the juniors is Nadiia and Peter. Not sure if they are still competiting but Irina and Grayson also had a lot of potential and I really enjoyed them. I also think Paul and Piper have had excellent guidance.

barbarafan

Or will Carol bury them with mediocure programs so as to bury the competition. G/P are still competing.

Wyliefan

S/F aren't a threat to G/P. Even if they improve greatly with Lane, they're not going to be a threat. Piper and Paul are too far ahead of them. Lane is probably looking ahead a couple of years to when G/P retire. With B/B going senior and S/F hopefully doing better, she'll have a nice stable of top Canadian teams.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Or will Carol bury them with mediocure programs so as to bury the competition. G/P are still competing.

G/P are #1 in Canada so they wouldn't even factor in to her mindset I should think. But she could be motivated to pit them against L/L and maybe even FB/S (though I think they are the best team in Canada ;))

skategal

Bunny mama
I think Carol Lane + Carolanne and Shane have the makings of an excellent match.

I look forward to see what comes from this.

RoseRed

I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing their programs with Carol. I think this could be good. Although eliminating the random falls and improving the pattern would also be quite helpful in terms of competing with L/L.

I think the Scarborough teams tend to do fine with the pattern, and on that having more attention in a less crowded training program may help. We'll have to see about the falls (it happened at least 4 times this season, which is sort of a lot).

And I agree, I don't see a conflict between G/P and S/F. Currently G/P are the number 1 team, and S/F are number 4.

puglover

I wondered if the falls - both by Shane I believe - were a result of training with L/L who are a naturally very fast, aggressive team. Maybe they were pushing too hard and outside their comfort zone so as not to look weaker by comparison with the worlds spots up for grabs. It may do them a lot of good to be away from that environment, and certainly one of the most accomplished teams on the ice now. They are lovely skaters. All the best to them.

kates8

Personal opinion - I think that S&F lost confidence the moment the Danish team decided to skate for Canada. Without even skating one competition for Canada, Skate Canada invited them to the National Training Camp that September - SC typically only invites teams that have GPs or on National team - I think FB/S couldn't even compete for Canada until the following Feb at 4CC. I remember seeing social media pics of that camp thinking it was odd. At that time, I think S&F were lining up to be the third place team so it must have been a slap in the face to them that a team not even competing for Canada were invited to the training camp and they knew they didn't have SC support. I have no doubt that FB are the stronger skaters, but it must have hurt. Obviously SF haven't done themselves any favours with the recent rash of mistakes, but I believe Carolanne is one of MF early skaters before Gadbois became so popular, so it must be hard to leave, but I hope they find their style and momentum again.

Colonel Green

At that time, I think S&F were lining up to be the third place team so it must have been a slap in the face to them that a team not even competing for Canada were invited to the training camp and they knew they didn't have SC support.
I don't think they didn't have Skate Canada's support. They were coming off a good season in 2017/18, they had some momentum.

How much the prospect of competing with the Danadians may have affected them is impossible to know for sure, but probably it didn't help. Their problems in the last two years seemed to start with the struggles on the Tango Romantica. They were hardly alone in that, but then it just seemed to spiral into making random mistakes, and then getting a reputation for that, which messes with your mental focus.

Colonel Green

IDE's regular music editor posted about working on Carolane & Shane's free dance:

Wyliefan

Their new team isn't wasting any time! I'm eager to see what kind of FD they've come up with.

Wyliefan

Oh, and I just saw that PJ Kwong is doing a Facebook Live with Carol and Kurt Browning tomorrow at 3 p.m. Eastern, so hopefully we'll get to find out more about how this all came about and what are some of her ideas for them.

Wyliefan

YouTube link to PJ's interview with Carolane and Shane (and dachshund):

They were pretty diplomatic about the coaching change -- training with so many competitors was causing them to lose focus, and they needed a change. They've already moved to Toronto and feel like the new team is already helping them (to the limited extent possible right now). They have a new FD in the works, but if next season is truncated, they may save it for the season after, so as not to waste it. It was a nice interview.

Wyliefan

S/F are doing an Instagram Live tomorrow at 5 p.m. Eastern.

Sylvia

TBD
Article published on Aug. 15, 2020 - "Soucisse and Firus ready for a fresh start":

Google translated excerpt:
“As we didn't really know what the season would look like, we had already decided to keep our programs from last year, but to modify them. The season is postponed more and more and we are happy to have made this choice,” explains Carolane Soucisse.
She and her partner ensure that their relationship with their new coaches Carol and Jon Lane, as well as Juris Razgulajevs, is going very well. So far, they've skated at different locations as the arenas have reopened since June, even though they sometimes had to pay top dollar to do so. They will finally join their official training site in Scarborough in September.

Wyliefan

Soucisse and Firus updated their FD music on their ISU bio. It's now It's Not Unusual/Without Love/She's a Lady. No more Sex Bomb, which is probably just as well, because even without lyrics I think people sometimes had trouble taking that part seriously. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information