Skating legend Dick Button deserves ISU’s Lifetime Achievement Award

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I wonder if there are people within the ISU who still resent him for starting the World Professional Skating Championships, which weren't ISU sanctioned (at least for the first few years). He has also criticized the IJS and how the ISU has run the sport. There must be something going on within the ISU in relation to him that has kept him excluded from the Lifetime Achievement Award for so long.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Not that he doesn't deserve it, but I wonder if there are people within the ISU who still resent him for starting the World Professional Skating Championships, which weren't ISU sanctioned (at least for the first few years). He has also criticized the IJS and how the ISU has run the sport. There must be something going on within the ISU in relation to him that has kept him excluded from the Hall of Fame for so long.
Uhm, he's in the HOF. He was inducted in the inaugural class in 1976.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Button was vocal in supporting the short-lived WSF of 2003. The ISU never let many of the supporters/members of that group see the light of day again as far as their competitions, so I'm sure there were and still are some grudges held.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information