Skaters competing with glasses

Plusdinfo

Thanks to Erin's work in uploading many videos, I've been able to see certain skating competitions for the first time. The 2011 Canadians short programs start with Charles Dion, and he's wearing glasses. I can't recall seeing that before. Have other skaters competed with glasses? Have you? Is it awkward to do so?

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have competed with glasses. It wasn't awkward but I was doing the Canasta Tango with another young lady. (So it's like solo dance only with two people next to each other that have to stay in sync.) :D

The issue with glasses is that they can fog up especially as you go from lobby to rink and back. And also if you do anything vigorous, there is a possibility of them falling off. And even if they don't, I would worry about it constantly so it would be distracting.

So usually when I skated, I wore contacts.

I actually can't believe someone managed to do a SP with them. Kudos to them!

S

SmallFairy

One of my friend skates and competes with glasses. She’s an adult skater, but also skated as a child, so she has fast spins and also moves fast. She says there’s no problem with the glasses, except for one time when they flew off during a spin in a competition 😅 She said she managed to get them afterwards and continue.

I’ve only practiced with glasses, and it works quite well, but I can’t imagine doing triples it quads, or really fast spins. But of course, you can get the sports glasses that footballers have, that’s attached better.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I can't imagine wearing my glasses skating. I wear contacts most of the time. I'd be so afraid they'd fall and break; my glasses are darned expensive! (My eyes suck.)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I wear glasses - my vision is so lopsided and poor in my right eye that I probably wouldn't even balance properly without them.

The only time they've ever come off was when I ate ice hard and bent them out of shape against my bicep.

floskate

Vacant
Peter Krick who is the ISU's figure skating sports manager skated in glasses back in the 60's. The other one that sticks in my mind is David Hickinbotton who was Janet Sawbridge's first partner. You can see a part of their FD from Moscow Europeans in 1965 here:

https://youtu.be/X3BdQhNmMqw?t=398

Both Dorothy Hamill and Jan Hoffmann wore glasses when they competed compulsory figures but not for free skating. Barbara Roles did the same in 1960 as you can see here during the 1960 Worlds in Vancouver.

https://youtu.be/-sXttmsFdQc

Last edited:

briancoogaert

Peter Krick who is the ISU's figure skating sports manager skated in glasses back in the 60's. The other one that sticks in my mind is David Hickinbotton who was Janet Sawbridge's first partner. You can see a part of their FD from Mosow Europeans in 1965 here:

https://youtu.be/X3BdQhNmMqw?t=398

Both Dorothy Hamill and Jan Hoffmann wore glasses when they competed compulsory figures but not for free skating. Barbara Roles did the same in 1960 as you can see here during the 1960 Worlds in Vancouver.

https://youtu.be/-sXttmsFdQc
Didn't Midori Ito skate the compulsories with glasses ?
Is my memory good, or is it just a dream ?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
My late ballet teacher also competed at adult competitions with her glasses on and also won some of those (Oberstdorf, Grimma etc.)

screech

When I skated I wore/competed with glasses until I was almost 14, which is an interesting thing when you're learning triples. I had to secure them with an elastic strap, kind of like this, but similar to my hair colour I started wearing contacts at that age, which definitely made things a lot easier..

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The American gymnast, Morgan Hird, also wears glasses during her routines. They seem to have been designed in such a way that they fit very tightly, or have some kind of an elasticized band.
It’s called a Croakie in the US. It‘s specifically designed for sport.

Maximillian

RIP TA
There was another elite gymnast (though, I think only Junior) who was trained by John Geddert at the same time as Jordyn Wieber who also wore glasses. I can't remember her name and an internet search is primarily flooded with articles about Hurd (glasses) or abuse (Geddert).

Erin

Banned Member
There was another elite gymnast (though, I think only Junior) who was trained by John Geddert at the same time as Jordyn Wieber who also wore glasses. I can't remember her name and an internet search is primarily flooded with articles about Hurd (glasses) or abuse (Geddert).

Kamerin Moore. She also competed NCAA for Nebraska for a couple years before having to take a medical retirement. Not to turn this all into gymnastics, but there is also a male gymnast who wears sports goggles while competing - Stephen Nedoroscik.

On topic, I can’t think of any high level skaters besides Charles Dion who wore glasses.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
If you allow galas, Charlie White wore glasses in a 2011 4CCs gala number to the Way I Am and The Rhythm of Love:

Both Chock and Bates wore sunglasses in this number to Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen

GoneWithTheWind

If you allow galas, Charlie White wore glasses in a 2011 4CCs gala number to the Way I Am and The Rhythm of Love:

Both Chock and Bates wore sunglasses in this number to Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen

Marco Fabbri also wore sunglasses for the first half of his and Charlène's Grease Exhibition:

viennese

wrecked
I have been wondering about this, too. Morgan Hurd is my glasses-wearing hero. I don't know if she has posted her eyewear brand anywhere, but hers look like prescription sports glasses rather than regular eyewear with an elastic band.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
The American gymnast, Morgan Hird, also wears glasses during her routines. They seem to have been designed in such a way that they fit very tightly, or have some kind of an elasticized band.

Morgan Hurd wears glasses while competing, and she's inspired other gymnasts to do so as well. She's said that she has a neoprene strap that holds them in place.

I wear glasses while I skate, including when I compete. I don't yet spin at such a rate that there's a danger of them flying off, but there are straps you can buy that prevent them from moving, so it's really not a concern. It's really more of an expectation/look thing, as with so much in skating. When I started competing, my coach asked if I could skate without my glasses. I replied, only if I didn't want to see. ;) We then debated whether it was better to see or not to see while competing.

And I remember Jason Brown, who skates without his glasses, squinting to try to see his results at many a competition. He's said he prefers not to be able to see the judges and audience. It's all one big blur.

starrynight

In terms of glasses, one rugby union football player wore glasses at the 2019 World Cup - it was a vision and eye protection choice. So he had a pair made that fully fit his head and wouldn't be an issue in a high impact sport.

But he still had issues with the strap breaking.

But I don't expect something like the above would match a skating costume.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I wonder how many rely on contact lenses. They have their cons too.

DreamSkates

I wonder how many rely on contact lenses. They have their cons too.
Wondering the same. Don't they get dry when it is cold? (I used to wear them but stopped due to to dryness). Seems they could pop out at inopportune times but maybe not so much with soft lenses these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information