Skate Canada Replaces "Mohawk" and "Choctaw" In Its Terminology

syzygy

Euler makes me think of Math. I love Math but I don’t want it in figure skating.
There's a mathematician whose last name is Euler lol. If you think about it, figure skating is math. Small things such as the angle of the blade on a boot or the amount acceleration going into a jump can make huge differences. Not to mention IJS scoring.

I don't like it because it sounds like a potty word and doesn't even describe the jump in any way, shape, or form. At least C-step and S-step actually describe the move which might make it a bit easier to coach.

VarBar

Per an email to Skate Canada members today (I can't find it linked online). This is part of "work[ing] toward the decolonizing of our terminology and align[ing] with our commitment to anti-racism."
If Canadians want to decolonize, perhaps they should begin with the beginning, that is escape from the hold of the British monarchy. So long as Canada is under the rule of the Queen of England, the country is a colony, isn't it? Just a thought.

mackiecat

If Canadians want to decolonize, perhaps they should begin with the beginning, that is escape from the hold of the British monarchy. So long as Canada is under the rule of the Queen of England, the country is a colony, isn't it? Just a thought.
It took five decades after the Statute of Westminster for Canada to make its final step toward full sovereignty. In 1982, it adopted its own constitution and became a completely independent country. Although it’s still part of the British Commonwealth—a constitutional monarchy that accepts the British monarch as its own. Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada. However, her role is essentially ceremonial, and she does not interfere in Canadian self-governance.

skatingguy

decently
It's not an unreasonable thought, but many of the agreements that First Nations would like to see enforced & abided by were made with 'The Grandmother' and not with Canada. Also, given the current state of our nearest Republican neighbours it seems unlikely that the idea of becoming a Republic is likely to have much sway with many Canadians at this time.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Yes, I'm sure that if Canada legally ruled itself out of the commonwealth, all impacts of colonialism would immediately be eliminated from Canadian government and society. Just like what happened in the United States seconds after the Declaration of Independence was signed!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Oh good grief, the PC police and virtue signaling have hit figure skating. Now I always thought Choctaw and Mohawk were dumb names for basic turns, but stupid me thought they were named to honor and remember Native American tribes. Heck I even went through cultural sensitivity and civil rights training when I worked for the federal government and issues like Choctaw and Mohawk as a naming term involving Native American tribes weren't even on the radar. We dealt with preventing actual discrimination.
I agree with this. I have Mohawk ancestry and don't understand their reasoning. Does SC just want people to forget that Mohawks and Choctaws ever existed? I thought it was a nice thing to have their names still being used, and without any intentional disrespect.

mjb52

This is what I have been wondering about, but I was having a hard time figuring out how to express it. I've lived long enough to see measures that were considered enlightened by my generation that look pretty questionable now, sometimes I wonder if something like this might one day be seen as a form of historical erasure. Has anyone asked whether the Choctaw/Mohawk want to be removed from the history of skating in this way? I was shocked when I looked up how the names were generated so I can see why the impulse to change them exists but at the same time I wonder about it too.

skatingguy

decently
I agree with this. I have Mohawk ancestry and don't understand their reasoning. Does SC just want people to forget that Mohawks and Choctaws ever existed? I thought it was a nice thing to have their names still being used, and without any intentional disrespect.
But there was intentional disrespect - the names were used to mock those respective Indigenous groups.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

It's more like disrespect by omission. As far as we know, those two groups were never asked for permission to use their names in this way. And as this article points out, the names may have come from a cultural fascination with so-called "American savages" which isn't respectful either.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's not an unreasonable thought, but many of the agreements that First Nations would like to see enforced & abided by were made with 'The Grandmother' and not with Canada. Also, given the current state of our nearest Republican neighbours it seems unlikely that the idea of becoming a Republic is likely to have much sway with many Canadians at this time.
Grandmother and Trump are only two degrees of separation from each other through Jeffrey Epstein.

skatingguy

decently
I thought Grandmother was Queen Elizabeth II. I've heard that term used for her.

My big mistake.
Queen Elizabeth II is sometimes referred to this way now, and she is a Grandmother, & Great-Grandmother, but 'The Grandmother' refers to Queen Victoria as she was the relevant monarch when the agreements I was referring to were signed. They predate the existence of Canada, and were signed directly with the Crown, rather than with the governing bodies of the territories that existed at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information