Skate Canada 2023 Pairs SP - Knitting's Gonna Stop us Now

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Gosh, I love Deanna so much :love: She was my favorite ladies skater when she was a junior, and I was heartbroken when she got injured and quit. My mind is still blown that she came back.
I was a freshman in high school when she got that 6.0 at Keri Lotion and I remember it like it was yesterday. Her career went from looking like she'd challenge Kwan to a major injury in ONE MONTH and then that was it.

Just wild that she's here now.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
That was kind of lovely from the Aussies, don't even care about the mistakes on the first two passes.

This is a different direction for Dudek and the guy on the ice with her. I like Donnez-Moi for her. GIVE IT TO ME, indeed.

Did you know that Deanna is OLD? I heard she first learned to skate with the ice trolls of Norway and her first partner was Methuselah. I understand the first couple of seasons it was worth mentioning, but she's now a top-level skater and we need to talk about her as such, not as some novelty.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Did you know that Deanna is OLD? I heard she first learned to skate with the ice trolls of Norway and her first partner was Methuselah. I understand the first couple of seasons it was worth mentioning, but she's now a top-level skater and we need to talk about her as such, not as some novelty.
I take your point, but I also think it's great to remind skaters and everyone else that your life doesn't end at 20- or 30-something and you can still be an incredible athlete

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I get what you're saying, but it's also very inspirational to see someone skating at such a high level at her age, and not quitting just because the sport favours twinkly little pre-pubescent pixies. When there's skaters in their mid-teens being told that they're too old to skate, seeing someone like her is really important IMO.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Deanna & Max were fab. I'm sorry. I uber/stan. KMT said "I have no notes" and I agree.

Good fight. Good space for improvement. Impressed with their performance. I want them to blow the roof off in Montreal with this SO BAD.
For a brief moment they reminded me of Hough & Ladret.
I think because I only recall their professional routines, but my immediate reaction was "Now that's just mean to Tuffy & Doug." :lol:

But you're not wrong.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I get what you're saying, but it's also very inspirational to see someone skating at such a high level at her age, and not quitting just because the sport favours twinkly little pre-pubescent pixies.
I get that, and I get what @tony is saying, and I don't find that disrespectful at all, but there is something about the way commentators talk about her age that make it sound like she's in a cage. I don't mind a commentator saying something to the effect of, she came back from injury and here she is, stronger than ever at 40, but it just rubs me the wrong way how they say it. Mark's not the worst by far but it's like that's her ONLY accomplishment.

Sylvia

TBD
Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPSCAN
72.25​
39.58​
32.67​
8.14​
8.21​
8.21​
0.00​
#8​
2​
Lucrezia BECCARI / Matteo GUARISEITA
65.83​
36.51​
29.32​
7.43​
7.29​
7.32​
0.00​
#1​
3​
Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOOREAUS
62.80​
34.00​
28.80​
7.18​
7.29​
7.18​
0.00​
#7​
4​
Maria PAVLOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKOHUN
62.22​
34.29​
27.93​
7.00​
7.00​
7.00​
0.00​
#4​
5​
Brooke McINTOSH / Benjamin MIMARCAN
59.83​
33.28​
26.55​
6.64​
6.75​
6.57​
0.00​
#5​
6​
Daria DANILOVA / Michel TSIBANED
57.17​
31.04​
26.13​
6.57​
6.57​
6.50​
0.00​
#6​
7​
Kelly Ann LAURIN / Loucas ETHIERCAN
57.14​
30.41​
26.73​
6.71​
6.75​
6.64​
0.00​
#2​
8​
Letizia ROSCHER / Luis SCHUSTERGER
52.07​
28.61​
23.46​
5.96​
5.82​
5.86​
0.00​
#3​

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I get that, and I get what @tony is saying, and I don't find that disrespectful at all, but there is something about the way commentators talk about her age that make it sound like she's in a cage. I don't mind a commentator saying something to the effect of, she came back from injury and here she is, stronger than ever at 40, but it just rubs me the wrong way how they say it. Mark's not the worst by far but it's like that's her ONLY accomplishment.
I think, at least for Mark, it's more of a 'holy shit, this is just unheard of and I'm just amazed' and he means it in the most respectful way. I mean, part of her legacy now is that she was a teenage star, one who looked like she was on her way to be one of the best in the USA in the very season that everything happened, and then she was just gone for 15+ years. I mean, that's insane for any athlete!

I wish my legs and lower back and hips were in shape to go out and whip jumps around like I used to do in my early 20s, and I still keep in shape in the gym. But it's not happening, and I can't imagine having to relearn not only the basics but an entire new discipline, too. All the respect in the world for her.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Going to try to watch a few dance routines before the men's. Stupid Peacock and their limited 48 hours only to watch them.

I love skating, but all four disciplines in one night is...a lot.
Yeah, it was tough last weekend with 2 SP and 2 FS on Saturday. I feel like tomorrow is going to be even harder. I really wish Skate Canada would spread the competition out over 3 days like SkAm.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Yeah, it was tough last weekend with 2 SP and 2 FS on Saturday. I feel like tomorrow is going to be even harder. I really wish Skate Canada would spread the competition out over 3 days like SkAm.
Who pays for the judges and technical panels accommodations? ISU or Skate Canada?

If Skate Canada is paying then they probably save money having it this way.

Sally1214

I've decided to stay up for the men's sp. I know I'll be tired tomorrow but I don't trust CBC to have a full-event video available by the time I'd ever get to watch it tomorrow. So, I'm off to brush teeth and turn down my side of the bed so I can just zoom off to bed instantly after the last man's scores come up. Hubby, of course, will be completely rested with a full 8 hours' sleep .... but he's not watching skating (his loss). Back in a few ....

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Who pays for the judges and technical panels accommodations? ISU or Skate Canada?

Does it? They have the exhibition on Sunday, so one presumes the judges/tech panels are paid to be there Thu-Sun just like at SkAm. They have to have their post-comp roundtables sometime and I can't imagine there is time on Saturday with all 4 FS back-to-back-to-back-to-back with only an hour dinner break

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

IIRC the ISU pays for the officials' accommodation and travel at ISU events.

But the ISU has to spend its funding wisely as well so that its administrators can live in nice houses in Switzerland.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Does it? They have the exhibition on Sunday, so one presumes the judges/tech panels are paid to be there Thu-Sun just like at SkAm. They have to have their post-comp roundtables sometime and I can't imagine there is time on Saturday with all 4 FS back-to-back-to-back-to-back with only an hour dinner break
Are judges required to be there for the gala?

Whenever I organised events I tried to get rid of whoever I could get rid asap. That way I saved one night hotel and food budget per head. Add that up and it's $$$. And depending on flight schedules the earlier I could get them out on the Sunday the greater likelihood I had them back in their own bed in their own country by bedtime. So less likelihood of them getting stuck overnight at a airport hotel ( read $$$) because they left later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information