Skate America 2021 Returns to Las Vegas

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Okay, I'm in love with Chock's gloves. They seem like they are built into her costume. Evan's on the other hand are clunky and make me think he's going skiing.

Also gal (Smart?)j ust fell on her butt. I wasn't paying attention but looked like she was just doing crossovers.

SidelineSkater

Okay, I'm in love with Chock's gloves. They seem like they are built into her costume. Evan's on the other hand are clunky and make me think he's going skiing.

Also gal (Smart?)j ust fell on her butt. I wasn't paying attention but looked like she was just doing crossovers.

Thanks for these and all the other hotel/arena/logistics updates!

I think it’s more than a mile from the strip - 2.1 from my hotel near Tropicana blvd.

I’m getting soooo excited!!!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Carolane SOUCISSE is skating in a flattering dress and their music is to the Queens of Disco so that a win for me. They didn't do a full run-through but I like the parts they did.

MOROZOV and BAGIN look they are skating to Aladdin.
The costumes are not matching well. Maroon on him and green on her is not a good combination.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Now that I have used the clear bag, I actually like it. I brought with me only what I really need and what is allowed. it is much lighter than my usual purse (and the accompanying bag). Easy to carry. It has compartments, which makes it easy to keep things separate. I wish they had allowed a bigger camera in addition to the clear bag. I feel limited by my i7 phone when it comes to photos.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I feel limited by my i7 phone when it comes to photos.
This is why I am lusting after the iPhone 13. I was planning to buy a mirrorless "DSLR" to do photos and video but the new iPhone 13 seems to have amazing video and photography capabilities and is the same price. And I can bring it into any arena!!

I am not a fan of the clear bag though. Mostly because it's plastic. It just feels weird. Oh well.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am seriously considering buying an i13 soon. I need a new camera. My i7 has been giving me some problems.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For the evening I decided to carry a breakfast bar and a tiny apple (well hidden) as my emergency food. After the pairs I was feeling so cold that I looked for a hot drink, like a hot chocolate. There was none. I stopped at the mini donuts because they were being fried in front of us. It meant warm food. However, after seeing some being fried, I lost my desire for them. I am someone who loves donuts but there was no way I was going to eat those as my dinner. So I ate my emergency food, and drank a hot chocolate after returning to my room (though I no longer needed it). I wish there were more food stalls like Subway and others inside the arena.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
USFS would make a fortune if they sold clear bags along with the SA merchandise. Also, I wish arena security was as diligent about keeping spectators from coming down the stairs during skaters’ programs as they are about the clear bag policy. 😠
I asked a lady at the USFS booth to ask Rusty to make an announcement about not walking down the stairs during programs. Since there are no ushers, it should be announced so the people who have no sense will be clued in.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
So are many of the people from FSU.

we all need alcohol after that men's SP. Including many of the men.

USFS would make a fortune if they sold clear bags along with the SA merchandise. Also, I wish arena security was as diligent about keeping spectators from coming down the stairs during skaters’ programs as they are about the clear bag policy. 😠

I wish they were diligent about not allowing weird faceshields instead of masks, and asking people to keep their nose covered. Still can't get over people 20 months in can't do this, or think they have to take their mask off to talk.
Also, someone said they are looking for alcohol but they sell alcohol in the arena.

I'm guessing they want to make money, and not have you bring in a bottle from a liquor store? And the bartenders will cut people off, unlike drinking a whole bottle and being disorderly

AnnM

No one took a single glance inside my clear bag, which is actually less helpful with regard to security when compared to looking inside regular bags and totes. I could've had anything in there.

Why have sweepers but then tell the audience that no items can be tossed on the ice? I'm glad the kids got to at least skate a lap at the end of competition.

Restroom line moved fast enough, but was perpetually short of paper towels.

maureenfarone

I had snacks in my bag. They were somewhat hidden. But no checking at all. I could have had a small gun in the place that I had my trail mix. It's all security theater IMO.

Also, someone said they are looking for alcohol but they sell alcohol in the arena.
They want you to buy their alcohol.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
No one took a single glance inside my clear bag, which is actually less helpful with regard to security when compared to looking inside regular bags and totes. I could've had anything in there.

Why have sweepers but then tell the audience that no items can be tossed on the ice? I'm glad the kids got to at least skate a lap at the end of competition.

Restroom line moved fast enough, but was perpetually short of paper towels.
Apparently they also want you to buy paper towels.

toddlj

We were surprised that the rink was not that cold! We brought ski jackets and didn't wear them... but they were handy because we hid snacks in the zip pockets. (No one was checking pockets at all.)

ETA: I bet we could also have brought those little plastic airplane size liquor bottles. Might try that later today.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've just been keeping the snacks in my bag. I do put them in my gloves (that I brought but never wear) so hide them a bit but I doubt I really even have to do that.

I also have a ski jacket and there are times I feel a bit cold but I'm often cold when other people aren't. I think if I wore the gloves and a hat, I'd be fine.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Today when went through the e checker the alarm went off. They asked me if I had anything in my ppockets. I checked. I didn't have even a Kleenex. So no problem. The plastic bags may be safer if you want to carry anything in. I decided not to carry anything. Food is easily available in the food court. Inside I may have to eat only fries Or candy. Not good. Between events I could go to the food court. Right now I am full, with a delicious breakfast at the Copper whisk. MacMadame had organized this and it was really nice to eat BF with other fsuers.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

For the evening I decided to carry a breakfast bar and a tiny apple (well hidden) as my emergency food. After the pairs I was feeling so cold that I looked for a hot drink, like a hot chocolate. There was none. I stopped at the mini donuts because they were being fried in front of us. It meant warm food. However, after seeing some being fried, I lost my desire for them. I am someone who loves donuts but there was no way I was going to eat those as my dinner. So I ate my emergency food, and drank a hot chocolate after returning to my room (though I no longer needed it). I wish there were more food stalls like Subway and others inside the arena.
There is hot chocolate at the stand/table where they have coffee - at least during the practices. The hot chocolate lover in our group says it is good - $4.00 It is around toward the right as you come in (on your right on the outside corner) and is not part of the permanent food booths.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
After the pairs competition I went to the food court, in hopes of better food options for dinner. In the arena my only options were fries, candy, and may be a slice of cheese pizza (I don't like cheese only pizza).

Every eating Place in the food court hada very long line. The lines were almost merging. Clearly it would take a long time and I may not even find a table. I went back to the arena and had fries for dinner. After dinner I saw someone eating an ice cream bar. Tempted, I bought one for myself. It was too many calories and too much of wrong food. My stomach felt heavy all evening. I also started feeling sleepy, but both pairs and men's free skates were good. That helped.

I got out as soon as Vincent finished and stood in the door to watch his marks. I had to call the hotel shuttle before 10pm in order to be picked up at 10:30pm. Otherwise I would be stuck there till 11:15pm. So I couldn't afford to stay in my seat and enjoy what we had just witnessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information