Site Upgrade

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
In the lower right corner next to "Like" I see "Gift". What is "Gift"?
My question as well.
If you're feeling generous you can pay someone else's membership fees.
@skatingguy has nailed this.
Is there any way to choose to turn off the thumbnails that are now appearing with links? On my phone especially it’s not great to look at. It makes messages look longer, causes more scrolling etc...Woukd love an option to disable this! :)
Not at the moment but leave it with me and I'll have something built.
I’ve noticed that now, on the thread list page, post counts over 999 get listed only as Xk rather than the full count. I found having the full count was handy to see how many posts there are to read. Is there a fix for that? Thanks for all you do, @SHARPIE And @Server Guy!
I don't think so but if enough people don't like it, I can look at changing it.
Yes, me too. I also like to see the full count.

Also the "talking bubbles" on the left of the main Forums page no longer indicates if there are new comments/threads. They're all "empty" as if there's nothing new been added to any of the threads.

Thank you so much.
I can't remember what they used to look like. I'll make some tweaks and we can see how it goes.

Some other general answers to questions I've noticed.
  • Push notifications can alert you to things when you're not actively browsing. This might be a blessing and/or a curse and you can mess with the options here. It will only work on certain devices and most notably won't work on your iPhone or iPad at the moment. If you have do not disturb mode enabled on your phone, notifications won't wake you up in the middle of the night or anything like that.
  • The Gift link on posts lets you purchase subscriptions for other members if you're feeling so inclined.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Hi. I usually love to use smilies but I somewhat feel uncomfortable with the one "nerd face". Is it possible to remove this one from the list?

quartz

scratching at the light
Oh, I thought you were referring to FSU exclusive emojis, and wasn’t sure which one you meant. I only use the FSU ones here. I like them all, but some are a little dated now. :D

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Yeah, I love all of the FSU emojis including the old ones. :) I'm also a person who jumps at something new. Today I found we have lots more emojis available on the upgraded format and was excited to check all of them thinking which one I will use when. :biggrinbo And I found that nerd face somewhat uncomfortable and I asked if it's possible to remove that one.

Susan1

There's a big red NEW next to ALL titles (TV Alerts, Moves in the Field, Off the Beaten Track, etc.) always, even after I have opened and read certain threads. Is that necessary?

antmanb

Liking the new upgrade a lot. The only thing that makes me twitchy eyed is the "NEW!" everywhere, and it doesn't disappear when you go into the folder (presumably because I haven't clicked on every single thread). Personally my preference is to not have that show.

antmanb

Apologies for the double post but one thing I have just noticed - while you can backspace and delete within any part of a post when I highlight a section with the mouse and press backspace or delete it won't delete the text. Is this upgrade related @Server Guy

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
There's a big red NEW next to ALL titles (TV Alerts, Moves in the Field, Off the Beaten Track, etc.) always, even after I have opened and read certain threads. Is that necessary?
No, it was temporary and has been removed.
Apologies for the double post but one thing I have just noticed - while you can backspace and delete within any part of a post when I highlight a section with the mouse and press backspace or delete it won't delete the text. Is this upgrade related @Server Guy
I don't think so as I can't reproduce that. What operating system and web browser are you using?

antmanb

No, it was temporary and has been removed.

I don't think so as I can't reproduce that. What operating system and web browser are you using?

I'm using internet explorer and its Windows 10. It doesn't seem to be happening with any other websites.

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm using internet explorer and its Windows 10. It doesn't seem to be happening with any other websites.
Same - I'm on my work computer, IE and Windows 10 - if I want to delete part of my text I can select it but it doesn't actually delete - I have to backspace for each character I want to delete.

ballettmaus

Same - I'm on my work computer, IE and Windows 10 - if I want to delete part of my text I can select it but it doesn't actually delete - I have to backspace for each character I want to delete.

I'm having the same issue with IE and Windows 8.1

quartz

scratching at the light
I can delete text properly now on my work computer. Nothing is different on my end here tho. Weird.

eta...now its back to not deleting again. I could delete by selecting text in one post, but I just went to make another post and wanted to delete something and the only way to do it is to backspace through every character.

Last edited:

antmanb

Just another issue I've noticed is that if I copy a sentence and want to paste it, it doesn't matter how many times I click where I want to paste it, it just pastes at the end of all available text.

just tuned in

Just another issue I've noticed is that if I copy a sentence and want to paste it, it doesn't matter how many times I click where I want to paste it, it just pastes at the end of all available text.
This happens to me also. And when making a post, if I highlight a word to be deleted, the entire post-under-construction gets deleted. I can only delete using backspace.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Just adding that I don't like the previews of links that show up so if there can be a way to turn them off that would be great.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I quite like it, does it really bother everyone?

I’ve contacted @Server Guy re the copy/paste issues etc.

My guess is people will like it even though I don't. Server Guy said up thread he'd look into a way to turn it off if people didn't like it which is why I posted, in case there were more than a few who agreed. Not a problem if there aren't.

Sylvia

TBD
On this topic:
Is there any way to choose to turn off the thumbnails that are now appearing with links? On my phone especially it’s not great to look at. It makes messages look longer, causes more scrolling etc...Woukd love an option to disable this! :)
I would choose to turn it off if I could... is it possible, @Server Guy?
Not at the moment but leave it with me and I'll have something built.
ETA:
I see @BlueRidge just posted about it today. And from another thread:
ETA:
How do we avoid thumbnails appearing in links to articles and Instagram?

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
This happens to me also. And when making a post, if I highlight a word to be deleted, the entire post-under-construction gets deleted. I can only delete using backspace.
What browsers are you using?

The option to disable the thumbnails will be added soon.

antmanb

Just a kind-of fix for anyone with the same delete issue I have - it won't delete the words you highlight but it does over-write it so if you highlight the section and press any letter it all goes and you can just delete the letter.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yeah, I love all of the FSU emojis including the old ones. :) I'm also a person who jumps at something new. Today I found we have lots more emojis available on the upgraded format and was excited to check all of them thinking which one I will use when. :biggrinbo And I found that nerd face somewhat uncomfortable and I asked if it's possible to remove that one.

Please tell me you are kidding. You asked that an emoji that made YOU uncomfortable be removed? How about don't look at it. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information