Simonenko's interview with Bobrova

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Andrey Simonenko's interview with Ekaterina Bobrova for ria.ru (please click the original link... you know the drill)

AS: Ekaterina, how have you decided to retire - after a lot of thinking or the moment you and Dmitrii took a break after the 2018 Olympics you knew you won't come back?
EB: Indeed I did not announce the retirement. Dima and I decided we are taking a break, because he kept hoping he'll convince me to come back. He never wanted and still doesn't want to retire. I, on the other hand, was sure after the birth of my baby I will probably not come back. Many said women become full of energy after the birth. Tatiana Navka was given as an example - she said herself she didn't plan to come back after giving birth, but she did and won every possible competition. I kept in mind it's possible. But I was certain I will want to dedicate myself to my son or daughter - at that point, of course, I didn't know who it would be. I don't want to leave my son with the grandparents and the nannies as I would have to had I kept skating - there is no other way if you aim for the highest results. The figure skating would not let me go - I would keep thinking of the elements, programmes and the practices and what do I have to do tomorrow. I want to fully dedicate myself to my family. The time had come.

AS: But Dmitrii indeed wants to keep competing, now with Elena Ilinykh. How do you take it and had he tried convincing you coming back?
EB: After the Olympics 2018 we spoke about the future. Dima kept that cryptic smile `We'll talk about it later....'. When he understood my mood and that I want to dedicate myself to my family he realized I prefer not to come back. At the summer, while pregnant we were skating in a show. I couldn't skate at the winter, Dima wanted to keep earning money. Tanya Navka offered him to pair up with Elena Ilinykh. Dima called me and asked to meet up. He said `I will wait for your final decision, but if you decide not to come back I'd like to skate with Lena'
Sure once I learned there was a sting of jealousy. I assumed Dima will want to skate with her of all the skaters, because I knew she wanted to come back as well, she still has a lot to say in the sports. Frankly, even though I expected that conversation it shook me. After all I was Dima's only partner and I wanted to remain such. The second thing is that while Lena and I are in a pretty good relationship she is my main rival in my career. When she was skating with Katsalapov and later with Zhiganshin we were always competing. I couldn't gasp it - how, how is it possible that my main rival will skate with my partner? You can't come up with anything more dramatic.
Yet I understood I can't tell `No' to Dima. I saw how much he wanted to skate, he was burning. If Lena and he can keep that fire for more than a season they might become a wonderful pair. A very different pair from Bobrova/Soloviev. We would be impossible to compare. I don't know what will the guys decide - whether they will skate together or not, but my decision not to come back is final.

AS: If Ilinykh/Soloviev should start skating together what do you think they can do in the sports?
EB: I don't really want to predict. The stars must align. In their case - the stars just might. A lot must happen for them to become a top pair who will hang in the top for many seasons, but it still might. Or not.

AS: When you look back and think of your career, what comes to your mind? `A great hunt' or some disappointments that you can't let go?
EB: The first and only thing that comes to my mind - I'm happy. I'm happy it was part of my life. I'm happy it's over. See: it's not an easy thing. I dedicated most of my life to that sport, I had to give up a lot of things. As for disappointments - guess there were things that I could had done better, but I can't really be sorry about anything in my career. I was lucky to have what I do. So I'm just happy with that.
Also a lot of athletes approached me recently and said `Katia, you must be so sad, you must want to come back so badly...'. No. I'm happy how right and easy my career ended. Guess one day I will rewatch our skates. The one we won with at the Sochi Olympics, the `Blind girl' at the 2018 Olympics, will be crying for our `Kalinka' - on old programme, recall the pre Olympics 2016 competitions, when I was skating and still not knowing the choreographer who made the programme had died. I cry over some things now, but there are no regrets, my career came to an end the right way.
Let me put that out: I thought that if I gave birth and Dima and I haven't started the season preparations it means I retired. After Dima's interview I got lots of messages with `Ekaterina, how come you are retiring, we are so looking forward for your comeback...'. It was because of such messages that I decided to put a stop and announce the official retirement. I still get the messages and I just want to say this: if Dima and I made someone happy with our skating, I'm so happy about it.

AS: Did you have a dream that came true in the sports?
EB: Of course. I dreamed winning the big competitions, being on the podium, singing the Russian anthem and see the flag. It's very important for me. By the way I was always singing the anthem, even though no one could hear me. But mostly I always dreamed about a standing ovation. There were cases when we skated great, but the audience didn't get behind us. It happened at the Russian nationals - the one before the 2018 Olympics. It was a hard one. The rivals were so close behind us, we had no place to make a tiniest mistake. The tension was in the air. But we skated so well both of our programmes, made our coach Sasha Zhulin cry and the audience raised on their feet. It was the dream coming true. And another dream, even though I was trying not to think about it- we became 7 times national champions.

AS: It's a record.
EB: Yes, one that we really wanted to set. But I was chasing those thoughts away because when you want something too badly it slips through your hands. It didn't slip this time.

AS: I.e. that was the highlight of your career?
EB: I wouldn't say so, after that we had the Europeans and the Olympics. Guess the highlight was the 4th clean skate in a row at the Olympics. It's what I feel. Many would say `guys, but that's exactly what you train for'. Let me answer: it was really hard. the Olympics - a lot can happen including the all stars falling - like in 2006 Turino. We were able to skate two clean skates at the team event and then two clean of the personal and, frankly, am so proud of it. That was the highlight.

AS: Your journey to Korea was really tough. Dima's injury, the meldonuim story. Of course the `what ifs' questions are hard to answer, but still: had all that not happened would you be one of the favourites for Korea?
EB: Everything could be different. Dima's long term injury, me being unfairly accused of doping threw us away from the `niche' in the ice dance. It does exist after all. But I believe in `what is done - for the best'. I was proven right many times. The same here: had all that not happen things could be worse. Perhaps all those hardships kept us from something worse.
Perhaps am convincing myself... Because the first season after Sochi we were skating the `Anna Karenina' and the amazing `Carmen', that we don't even have a single recording of. I kick myself for that - we can't even recall that wonderful programme, skate it and record - there were so many great moves that we were unable to use later. The changing skirt dress that was made, there were a lot of other interesting things... Perhaps we would end up on a different level and would not be so far behind the amazing Papadakis/Cizeron, it was exactly the season they came out and became a top team. We missed that season. Chasing is always harder. As for meldonuim... I was found not guilty, but no one gave the points and the world standings points we missed. The next season went all wrong because of that as well.

AS: As an expert and a commentator - will the French be the first for a long time and who will be able to beat them?
EB: Am thrilled for Sinitsina/Katsalapov who burst into the new Olympic cycle and became 2nd. I think it's a saying: be afraid of us, we are here to fight. A lot will depend on the programmes. I know it from my own experience: in 2013/4 we had the wonderful `Birds' programme, but were unable to skate it right till the Olympics. So the hard decision to skate the `Crazy' at the Olympics was made. If it wasn't for that things might had ended differently at the Olympics. I really wish Vika and Nikita never to have such moments. To hit the right programem every season, polish it and be very consistent and never give away their medals, like they did at the Europeans.
As for the French - everyone expects something new from them. What Virtue/Moir used to do. Tessa and Scott were always different. Gabriella and Guilliome are genious and their style really suits them, but even I keep hoping year after year to see something new. If they will keep skating in the same style while Vika and Nikita come up with an amazing programme - things might change.
I wouldn't write off Stepanova/Bukin. They had a wonderful season, but perhaps the politics prevented from two Russian teams being on the top. Am sure it's possible and I will be rooting for them.

AS: You were the one to talk about Sochi, so let me dwell in that: you came to the home Olympics as Russia n.1 and became 5th, while Ilinykh/Katsalapov took bronze. Was it the biggest disappointment of your career?
EB: Frankly, I don't have that feeling about Sochi - when am being asked about the biggest disappointment - `that's it'. There are small disappointments in my career. One of them, by the way, the Moscow GP before the Olympics in Korea. We pretty much had the gold in our hands, had we skated clean FD. And we screwed up the spin. We could have made any mistake, but the spin! In the end we missed the gold, hence don't make it to the GPF for the first time in many years.

AS: At least it was your mistake. You made no mistakes in Sochi Olympics.
EB: It's true. When thinking about that I still cry together with that 5 years ago me. I can't even say it was unfair - indeed Lena and Nikita skated so well. Had they made a mistake while we skated clean and still beat us - yes, I would be much more upset.
Let me just add - I taught myself during the career the judges know better- that's why they are the judges. But I disagree with the level we got on the twizzles in the SD because as if I was rotating wrongly. You can do the twizzles with the free leg extended, catch foot twizzle and just leg up, they have to look the same for the pair on the first and the last place. For example the extended leg twizzles indeed look like a 3turn, but yet they are counted. I don't really want to say such words as `unfair', but perhaps the judges were not certain about my body position or didn't have a chance to rewatch the element, but had we got the right level, we would get marks that would allow us to fight for the bronze.
But thinking about it now: it's in the past. Perhaps am again trying to convince myself had we taken the bronze back then perhaps we wouldn't have the will to go to the 3rd Olympics. When we missed a season because of Dima's injury we took a while to decide whether to come back or not. We knew we were missing out in life and we needed to know what are we coming back for. We knew. If we had that team gold and a personal bronze I would think `what for? I'd better have kids now or do something else'. Those thoughts did cross my mind. But we came back, became Russian champions, took medals at the Europeans, made it to the Olympics and took the team silver and were just 1 step away from the bronze, which was our goal. So am not sorry about anything.

AS: Being the mother is the core of your life right now or you have time for something else?
EB: Frankly, the pregnancy went so fast that even now when I hold that miracle in my arms I don't believe it's mine. I was thinking `9 months of giving up, then the birth'. But I never stopped my normal life during the pregnancy - with the doctor's consent, of course. I kept skating in the shows, then my husband and his parents went to a vacation, then I was commenting during the new season. I don't even remember till when we were playing volley ball and went to a sauna in the summer house. I.e. there were no global changes no thoughts `god, when will it end already'.
Andrey and I still lead the same lifestyle. A huge thanks to grandmothers who help us so much: Andrey's parents who live in a different country come over much more often, my mom and dad help a lot as well. Thanks to that we have a chance to do things besides being parents 24/7. I am breastfeeding, which I like and support. I think it's important. Of course I spent the first month of my son's life with him. Andrey helped me so much, even though a lot of my friends say not many fathers are willing to do that - they are afraid and don't want to learn. I was 100% lucky. I can always leave the son with my husband. When Sasha was just one months old the doctors gave me a green light and Bobrova ran to the gym. It was a hard decision, but we made it as a family - right after my son was born I really wanted to be back to the shows. I promised Ilya Averbykh to be back in shape. He asked `will it be enough time and do you really want it', but I knew I must have a goal. If that goal is to be back in shape after 3 months - I knew I would. Had I thought `well, sometime half a year later perhaps I'll join the show' I would probably still be sitting on a couch. Though no, I would probably run to the ice or the gym anyway.
I spent several weeks just working off ice, because all the ligaments dissipated after the pregnancy. A month and half after giving birth I was back on ice. Now that was a shock... I am not ashamed to say: I went on the ice and knew in my head how to do things but my body wasn't listening. The first 4 lessons on the ice I spent on two feet. My husband was making fun of me - he was working with an elderly amateur lady, who was skating better than me. It was not nice to admit, but it was true. We kept thinking: am quite recognizable in the world of figure skating, but the parents of the kids who were sharing the ice with me probably were not certain whether it's Bobrova. Looking at me at that moment no one would believe it's an Olympic champion.
I was starting to worry - after all I promised Ilya and was scheduled to skate a role. But I held it together. I was skating a lot, starting with the basic steps. I was stumbling and falling. Andrey ran to me asking whether I was ok, told him I tried to do a rocker... But I recalled it all. Now am happy I decided to come back to the show fast. We are rehearsing, I skate with 3 different partners, including Dima. It will be really interesting.

AS: I know you and Andrey decided to open your own school
EB: It's an idea we had for a while, when I was till competing. I recall my childhood - my family couldn't afford much, but I wanted to skate so badly my parents did all they could. Now figure skating is even more costly. Andrey and I had an idea to open a school where pretty much everyone could afford skating. I mean the little kids. We don't plan a school for the serious athletes who would participate the Europeans or Worlds. No, I don't want to be a coach on that level. It's really hard, I know all behind the scenes and how much the coaches have to do in order for their skaters to place high. Unfortunately, or fortunately, as an athlete I knew it all. I am not willing to do through that. Putting the kids on the skates, teaching them to love skating - that's what I want to do. I went through that period myself when some of the practices I would go out with tears, because the coach would shout and throw blade protectors in my direction. I even remember being so afraid I would lock myself in the toilet so I just wouldn't have to be on the ice. In the end it worked out well for me, I had an amazing first coach and fell in love with figure skating. Am sure every little skater must love the sports. To understand that it's not someone demands him to improve, but it's what he wants. Many say you can only teach kids by being strict, they will not do much themselves. I agree you have to be strict, but am certain you can teach them to aspire themselves.
We found the ice, a lot of people call us and want to study in our school. The trouble is that it's in Reutov, which is near Moscow and there is no metro station there. We are thinking what can we do about it. The ice is willing to work with us, talk about the hot meals and subsidizing the shared taxies which would pick up the kids who want to study there. It's a hard route, but husband and I do it because we really want to succeed there. There were offers to open the school on the other rinks as well. It would be really cool to have several places. Am willing to find the coaches that I would personally be responsible for. I would come over and curate the work, the same with my husband, who, by the way, is a figure skating judge. But it's all about the financing. Renting the ice in Moscow is really expensive. Once we calculate the rent time, the coaches salary - it sums up to a huge amount. So the idea to open a school available for everyone is out. But we still keep thinking about it, it's not easy, but it's a road we want to take.

AS: Evgeni Pluschenko put his son on the ice and is coaching him himself. Are you planning to make Sasha an ice skater?
EB: I will not strike a pose a lot of retired skaters do `Figure skating?! No way!'. Am sure my son will be skating. It will be really weird if the skaters' son will not be able to. Of course I understand he will go to the shows with us, sometimes we'll take him out on the ice during the practice and he'll be a part of all that. If he decides he likes it and that's the route he wants to follow and wants to win all that his parents' haven't won combined - I will not stand on his way. And we'll have a way to help our son. We know all the inside of figure skating. Perhaps he'll decide to become an engineer - we have those in the family as well. Perhaps, as I was asked in one of the interviews, he'll chose the synchronized swimming. Why not, it's also so interesting! We'll support him no matter what. Just that he would be interested.

AS: The last question: Never say never. You and Dima, even if it's for the show only are already back on the ice together. Perhaps do come back after all?
EB: When we came back after the Sochi Olympics and went through all the hardships - Dima's injury, meldonuim, we were jumping above our heads every season. I did consider another come back. If I realized we can compete on the top level I would come back with Dima. But I just don't believe in it. there are too many reasons to why it would not be possible - we would not be supported, we will not be pushed up where we would need it in order to get back on the top. I knew from my experience how bad it is - placing behind the teams you used to beat while skating clean. Coming back for the sake of the come back - I don't see a point.

Tinami Amori

As for the French - everyone expects something new from them. What Virtue/Moir used to do. Tessa and Scott were always different. Gabriella and Guilliome are genious and their style really suits them, but even I keep hoping year after year to see something new. If they will keep skating in the same style while Vika and Nikita come up with an amazing programme - things might change.

A day ago Soloviev gave an interview on Match-TV and said pretty much the same..

"Безусловно, Габриэла и Гийом — технически сильная пара со своим стилем. Глядя на них, забываешь посчитать, какого уровня была поддержка или дорожка, настолько все гладко, легко и дышит. Но как по мне — я не понимаю, о чем они катаются. Мне ближе подход истории на льду. Абстракция тоже имеет право быть, но не из раза в раз, не из сезона в сезон. Люди начинают задаваться вопросами — почему нет сложных заходов в поддержки? Почему такие разные по характеру танго и произвольный танец настолько похожи? И это не только мои слова, но и многих специалистов. И вот когда появляются мнения о том, что однообразие начинает приедаться, можно попытаться догнать и перегнать французов. Но нужно брать принципиально другое оружие."

"Unquestionably, P/C are a technically strong pair with their own style. When looking at them one forgets to even think of what level is their lift or footwork, given how smooth, light and effervescent they are. But as far as i am concerned - i don't get what their programmes are about. I better accept when a programme has a "story". Abstract themes have a right to exist, but not "same old, same old", season after season. People start to ask - why there are no difficult entries into lifts? Why the two programmes, RD and FS, that are so different in charter Tango and FS music, feel so similar? And these are not just my words, but of many specialists. And when an opinion is being formed, that such "monotony" is so oversaturating, it is an opportunity to chase and surpass the French. But a completely different tactic should be used to do so."

I agree with them about P/C, but not sure if this is too soon from B/S to critique their former competition, even if they are now retired, especially given that I/S may still compete in the future. (still trying to figure out if there is a bit of "sour grapes".. )

muffinplus

A day ago Soloviev gave an interview on Match-TV and said pretty much the same..

"Безусловно, Габриэла и Гийом — технически сильная пара со своим стилем. Глядя на них, забываешь посчитать, какого уровня была поддержка или дорожка, настолько все гладко, легко и дышит. Но как по мне — я не понимаю, о чем они катаются. Мне ближе подход истории на льду. Абстракция тоже имеет право быть, но не из раза в раз, не из сезона в сезон. Люди начинают задаваться вопросами — почему нет сложных заходов в поддержки? Почему такие разные по характеру танго и произвольный танец настолько похожи? И это не только мои слова, но и многих специалистов. И вот когда появляются мнения о том, что однообразие начинает приедаться, можно попытаться догнать и перегнать французов. Но нужно брать принципиально другое оружие."

"Unquestionably, P/C are a technically strong pair with their own style. When looking at them one forgets to even think of what level is their lift or footwork, given how smooth, light and effervescent they are. But as far as i am concerned - i don't get what their programmes are about. I better accept when a programme has a "story". Abstract themes have a right to exist, but not "same old, same old", season after season. People start to ask - why there are no difficult entries into lifts? Why the two programmes, RD and FS, that are so different in charter Tango and FS music, feel so similar? And these are not just my words, but of many specialists. And when an opinion is being formed, that such "monotony" is so oversaturating, it is an opportunity to chase and surpass the French. But a completely different tactic should be used to do so."

I agree with them about P/C, but not sure if this is too soon from B/S to critique their former competition, even if they are now retired, especially given that I/S may still compete in the future. (still trying to figure out if there is a bit of "sour grapes".. )

P/C don't have the same programs.. They have the same skating style of movement, but not programs. They just don't do character or storyline programs(although the last free dance was a storyline)..

And programs don't have to be spelled out or pantomimed ( I.e. Blind girl program) to be great...if anything the storyline programs can be way too literal and tacky.

I'd like to know why he thinks the tango is similar to the free dance?

Soloviev sounds a bit jealous?

Last edited:

muffinplus

Most current Russian ice dancers prefer virtue/ moir's style

I've seen other similar comments about P/C sameness from Popova and Bazin

Bobrova was relatively fair in her TV commentary of P/C

Bigbird

Bobrova was relatively fair in her TV commentary of P/C

But yet SinKats are copying P/C to the nth degree because that's what the judges want to see. So why harp on P/C so soon? Sort of tacky IMHO, but that's always been part of their style.

muffinplus

But yet SinKats are copying P/C to the nth degree because that's what the judges want to see. So why harp on P/C so soon? Sort of tacky IMHO, but that's always been part of their style.

I wouldn't say skating to Bach amounts to necessarily copying P/C though Zhulin did allude to P/C in an interview in the context of discussing that program if I recall correctly

Bigbird

I really liked her answer about having her son skate. And her honesty about her feelings about Soloviev potentially partnering with Ilinykh.

His interview and hers separately, together with Zhulin's comments on her retirement, just makes the whole situation seem more messy than it needs to be. She is retiring but Dima is struggling with his own decision. One joint message would have sufficed with her wishing him well. But instead the narrative reads, if I'm not skating with him nobody else will. She craftily hints of lack support for the pair and also hints that the project will implode within a year so why bother. Don't other professionals skate with other persons than their original partners in shows even? She is a crafty minx, and one prone to jealousy. Is she nice or gracious, of course. But I would not choose those words to describe Ms. Bobrova.

Japanfan

I agree with them about P/C, but not sure if this is too soon from B/S to critique their former competition, even if they are now retired, especially given that I/S may still compete in the future.

They are just saying what so many people others are also saying. P/C have a 'if it works, don't fix it approach', and since no one is chasing them, they don't have to evolve and explore in terms of program styles.

I do not have an opinion on whether Sinkats are copying P/C as I haven't paid close attention to their programs/rewatched their programs.

I just wish that some team could challenge P/C, as it would make ice dance so much more exciting this quad. I don't think that H/D, who are my favorite team at the moment, have what it takes to rival them - though they might surprise me in future.

Last edited:

muffinplus

They are just saying what so many people others are also saying. P/C have a 'if it works, don't fix it approach', and since no one is chasing them, they don't have to evolve and explore in terms of program styles.

But how is Moonlight Sonata the same as Duet/Sunday Afternoon... they aren't the same. And how is FD remotely similar to the tango?

Mad for Skating

Great interview with Ekaterina - she is always classy and honest. I wish her all the best in her future, I know she’s wanted to be a mom for years so I’m very happy for her.

As for the comments on Papadakis/Cizeron, their programs just have a distinct style. They’re known for mostly lyrical, abstract programs (not character-driven), and that works well for them. However, they do have a similar feeling to me, even if the theme of each program is slightly different. I don’t think Ekaterina and Dmitry said anything unreasonable.

Katta

P/C don't have the same programs.. They have the same skating style of movement, but not programs. They just don't do character or storyline programs(although the last free dance was a storyline)..

I'd like to know why he thinks the tango is similar to the free dance?

Soloviev sounds a bit jealous?

I don't think there is any jealousy. I believe he's stating his opinion rather clearly and I completely agree with him.

P/C are wonderful skaters, but there is no doubt in my mind that all their programs fit the same mold... They really, really need to step outside their comfort zone or they may very well be passed by other teams, not necessarily better teams, but teams that are able to skate to pop, rock, classical, fast, slow, tango, paso, waltz etc etc...

Back to Katya, i always enjoyed her skating and hope that she will stay as happy as she seems to be nor.

It would be very interesting to see Lena skate with Dima!

muffinplus

I don't think there is any jealousy. I believe he's stating his opinion rather clearly and I completely agree with him.

P/C are wonderful skaters, but there is no doubt in my mind that all their programs fit the same mold... They really, really need to step outside their comfort zone or they may very well be passed by other teams, not necessarily better teams, but teams that are able to skate to pop, rock, classical, fast, slow, tango, paso, waltz etc etc...

Back to Katya, i always enjoyed her skating and hope that she will stay as happy as she seems to be nor.

It would be very interesting to see Lena skate with Dima!

I think I can agree that their free dances can be put in the lyrical box but that's a very broad term and I don't think that means they are the same nor can the music be considered similar...but I also see how their programs could be seen as the similar when compared to Gilles and Poirier

And again his comment that their tango is the same as their free dance? How? It's a tango with sharper movements..

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

P/C have skated to every one of those, except perhaps rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information