Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

chapis

I'm sure they're probably already working their butts off to improve the FD. It's only a few weeks until 4CCs and they really can't afford to lose the FD again to C/B if they want to medal at Worlds.

So I haven't seen the Marina comments about the Shibs on TSL-- should I bother searching for it?

Really it is not even a comment, it was only a gesture https://youtu.be/00hakPvK5Yk?t=377. :rofl:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
This (Cinema Paradiso FD from 2008-09 season) made me fall in love with the Shibs. I was so impressed with Maia's arms and posture, and she was all of, what 13 or 14? Remember how we worried for a few years because she was still so tiny while Alex had shot up??

chapis

Thanks!

Well, I can't say I read much into that. Dave started out his question with a criticism--my interpretation is Marina just didn't want to get drawn deeper into discussion of the Shibs' weaknesses?

It doesn't seem that bad to me.

Here nobody complained about it. If you are talking about something related to TSL, we complained about Dave and Jonathan´s comments in their review of nationals.

aftershocks

Banned Member
They were talking about Nathan. And then Dave interjected to ask if the Shibutanis could break out and do what Meryl and Charlie did... Dave then added a criticism of the Shibs on the tale end of his convoluted question. Marina narrowed her eyes, then opened them wide with a deadpan look and simply said, 'Yeah,' to the actual question, cocked her head and rolled her eyes with a shrug. That's more like a noncommittal response by Marina to Dave trying to entrap her. Dave apparently is taking it to mean that Marina agrees with his thought process and negative views.

Raf doesn't allow anyone to entrap him with questions either.

Last edited:

VGThuy

This (Cinema Paradiso FD from 2008-09 season) made me fall in love with the Shibs. I was so impressed with Maia's arms and posture, and she was all of, what 13 or 14? Remember how we worried for a few years because she was still so tiny while Alex had shot up??

That is what made me into a lifelong fan of the Shibs too. I knew they'd have success because despite what some ice dance fans think, the Shibs totally had "it". I didn't think they'd get a World bronze at their senior debut, but I sure felt validated at the time.

About the NBC Olympics FB video counts, I also love that most of the comments I've seen on both videos (I obviously did not read the nearly 5,000 comments on both videos) were overwhelmingly positive. The people really love this dance and them in it. I tweeted to the Shibs that they should take a look on the NBC Olympic FB page, thinking they probably need a boost of confidence after losing the FD at Nationals, and they actually responded. The reaction to this is much bigger than their Fix You Nationals video, although I'm sure if NBC Olympics FB page posted it last year, it probably would have had more viewers.

Jessica

Thanks for posting this. I love this program and yes she was so ity bitty and so adorable. She's now a gorgeous young woman.

chapis

Same, I fell in love with the Shibs and ice dance with that program. Before that I thought ice dance did not make sense at all, I thought that ice dancers were only walking on the ice trying to look pretty/handsome. But after watch their cinema paradiso, my vision changed totally. Though, I must confess that I did not like Maia for a while, because Taka Kozuka and Mao were/are very good friends and I thought that Mao liked Taka, so after see those photos with Maia and Alex https://www.instagram.com/p/OFm96IS7iL/?taken-by=maiashibutani, I was like ¨why did she (Maia) take photos with Taka¨?, I didn't realize that Maia and Alex are friendly with everyone. I know, even if Maia really liked Taka, I was being so stupid!! :rofl: :duh: :blocjudge.

Last edited:

Cayuse

I was privileged to be able to attend nationals and watch my favorite team skate. The straight line lift, though recycled, impressed me by how much ice it covered--almost the full length of the rink! Distance does not translate well on TV. When Alex clipped his skate against the board, I think it shocked them and they skated their last step sequence very carefully, when we all wanted them to skate full out. Enriching the fullness of the instrumentation in the second piece was a good change. It still slows down slightly more than I would like, but I'm confident they are continuing to work on this beautiful piece of art.

chapis

I just noticed at this Euros that the Finish team Cecilia TÖRN and Jussiville PARTANEN are dancing to a song named ¨Dance little sister¨ (Rolling stones), Massimo and Marina choreographed it. I wonder if Massimo found that song thinking about Maia and Alex and finally ended with this team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty10eIiuuvg

Eta. OMG! no, I think Massimo were not thinking about them, I read again the lyrics. God, I need to resume my English classes as soon as possible :scream:

Spun Silver

Cool! I dont know that show but it sounds like it's aimed at young people. Cant wait to see Maia and Alex's bit!

chapis

Last edited:

VGThuy

I was showing my sister Maia's wikipedia page because she wanted to know the Jarryd James song that they used for their nationals exhibition, and I couldn't remember the name of it. While I was on there, I saw on her FD music section that the "Spiegel im Spiegel" part has additions from "Departure" by Max Richter from The Leftovers soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maia_Shibutani

I was wondering if that was always there, or if it was new.

Here's the piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9GcXEU5wg

If it was always there, then they could have fooled me because I don't remember hearing that in the "Spiegel im Spiegel" section of the FD. If it's an addition, I'm very excited and I like how they chose to use a post-minimalist composer like Richter to add to their minimalist-inspired FD. That's like an evolution in a way. Or it could just be any person just editing the Wiki page and it may not be true. Alex's page doesn't have this addition listed.

chapis

I was showing my sister Maia's wikipedia page because she wanted to know the Jarryd James song that they used for their nationals exhibition, and I couldn't remember the name of it. While I was on there, I saw on her FD music section that the "Spiegel im Spiegel" part has additions from "Departure" by Max Richter from The Leftovers soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maia_Shibutani

I was wondering if that was always there, or if it was new.

Here's the piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9GcXEU5wg

If it was always there, then they could have fooled me because I don't remember hearing that in the "Spiegel im Spiegel" section of the FD. If it's an addition, I'm very excited and I like how they chose to use a post-minimalist composer like Richter to add to their minimalist-inspired FD. That's like an evolution in a way. Or it could just be any person just editing the Wiki page and it may not be true. Alex's page doesn't have this addition listed.

Interesting. I don´t remember that music in the program or the information at the page neither. It is really beautiful.
But yes, it is weird if this information is only in Maia´s page :confused:.

Add. They uploaded another part of their olympic channel video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFdPK9bMXA4

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information