Shamima Begum and Hoda Muthana

mella

I thought that once a woman married a muslim in a muslim country, she automatically became a citizen of that country like it or not?

I read that in "Not Without My Daughter."

No idea if that's true or not but the man she (Begum) married wasn't Syrian. So even if the rule is true I don't imagine she can get citizenship of Syria by marrying him regardless of them being Muslims in a "muslim" country. He is Dutch - i expect her right to Dutch citizenship will be subject to more than simply marrying him.

@mella, I hadn't heard the fighters had been accepted back. The fear in allowing any of these people back is that they could radicalize others. Even if they went straight to prison they could infect others in the prison. I don't think anyone knows the perfect answer for the UK or anywhere.

I agree that's the fear. That's why I'm not enamoured by them returning. However i also tend to agree with @MacMadame. The people who effectively groomed 3 teenage girls to the point that they left the safety of their parents home to fly to Turkey then make their way to a war zone in Syria weren't in the country. Modern technology means that location really isn't the determining factor anymore. A lot of these people are being radicalised online.

ETA fighters have returned but I imagine a lot of the got out before the corridor closed, had their passports and had access to familt/friends/personal funds to get them home. My personal suspicion is that Begum and the other women lack one or all of the above hence getting attention by talking to the press rather than turning up at the border where they can't be turned away.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
No idea if that's true or not but the man she (Begum) .arried wasn't Syrian. So even if the rule is true I don't imagine she can get citizenship of Syria by marrying him regardless of them being Muslims in a "muslim" country.
I doubt every "muslim" country has exactly the same citizenship rules. In fact, according to Quora, only Iran gives automatic citizenship to women marrying a Muslim citizen.

https://www.quora.com/What-countries-allow-automatic-citizenship-by-marriage

Winnipeg

That explains it, the story where I read that to be true was from "Not Without My Daughter" about an American mother who married an Iranian and then was not allowed to leave Iran.

Japanfan

That explains it, the story where I read that to be true was from "Not Without My Daughter" about an American mother who married an Iranian and then was not allowed to leave Iran.

A I recall, she could leave, but couldn't take her daughter.

Winnipeg

Not originally. She was prevented from leaving without her husband's consent until towards the end when he made up a reason for her to travel alone to the USA but would not let her take her daughter. She feared that if she left she would not be allowed to return and her daughter stuck in Iran . Pressure was building and she found a way to escape from Iran with her daughter.

It was quite the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information