Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

oleada

Aliona is such an inspiration :swoon:

From the JW Pairs recap:

Pavliuchenko, who just turned 15, is inspired by Germany’s Aljona Savchenko, who recently took Olympic gold in Pairs with partner Bruno Massot

“I really liked how Aljona Savchenko skated and I am very glad that she finally earned her Olympic gold,” she said. “I also want to say to those for whom it didn’t work out—continue to work and it will all happen. When watching Aljona, I thought that this is the perfection that I want to strive for. Also it shows that you should never give up and continue to work, no matter what.”

https://goldenskate.com/amp/2018/03/pavliuchenko-and-khodykin-lead-russian-sweep-in-sofia/

QuadTwist

Loving those clips of Aljona practicing with Plushenko. And she's added a few more stories to her IG... jumps and spins. So cool. Can't wait for S/M's Worlds performance, and looking forward to see where they go next.

Last edited:

Quadjump

:lol: Maybe if Bruno is serious about retiring and going back to France, she can skate singles for Germany.

Maybe the reason for posting this is that Bruno already told her that he wants to continue. She is making new goals like those 3-3-combos. (Bruno definitly needs to loose some weight for these harder jumps combos. But he already posted his 3S-1Lo-3S last year.)

But that is just my new rumor.

Mad for Skating

Maybe the reason for posting this is that Bruno already told her that he wants to continue. She is making new goals like those 3-3-combos. (Bruno definitly needs to loose some weight for these harder jumps combos. But he already posted his 3S-1Lo-3S last year.)

But that is just my new rumor.

Four more years and harder jump combos? I am HERE, baby!

libecha

I do love this pair, so I hope this isn’t sacreligious, but I’m kind of hoping they do retire after Worlds. They have achieved the pinnacle of their sport and their lifelong dreams—what else is there? Bruno’s back issues are a serious concern. He’s had two episodes of severe pain in the last 3 months and was already complaining again straight after the free skate of his discs hurting. To end up worsening this issue so that it might affect his quality of life, when he isn’t even 30 yet and when there is nothing left to accomplish that would make that consequence worth it, is foolish, IMO.

And there is a lot to be said for going out at the right time and on top. Better one year too early than one year too late. In any sport, it’s sad to watch someone become a shell of themselves because they hang on too long. Best to do it like the German soccer player Philipp Lahm—multiple Bundesliga titles, a Champions League trophy, a World Cup trophy, and bam, at 33 he decided he was satisfied and done even though his skills hadn’t noticeably declined yet. Out on top with legacy untarnished. I wish the same for this pair. Out on top! Aljona is playing with house money and deserves nothing less.

annie_mg

@libecha I get your point and yes health is much more important than more medals. Back problems are no joke. Yet I'm greedy and I would love to see more programmes by them. I just love their style - I loved S/S's innovativeness and was so sad when they retired, and now Aljona and Bruno will again leave a huge hole in pairs skating for me.

So yes, I guess speaking from the brain they *should* retire (though who are we to say what anyone should do) but my heart is saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wuzrobbed

Aljona has said that she wants to continue because she loves competing. I guess it's really up to Bruno, his goals, his body.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Olympics Freeskate is now posted on Youtube, apparently some of the winning freeskates at the Olympics have been posted, but entire discipline videos may take a couple years to be made available. It took awhile before entire Sochi skating videos were available.

View and weep again, cheer, enjoy. So many emotions. I hope they win Worlds too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNOnXTe4Ok there's already 235,157 views :encore:

libecha

The Olympics Freeskate is now posted on Youtube, apparently some of the winning freeskates at the Olympics have been posted, but entire discipline videos may take a couple years to be made available. It took awhile before entire Sochi skating videos were available.

View and weep again, cheer, enjoy. So many emotions. I hope they win Worlds too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNOnXTe4Ok there's already 235,157 views :encore:

They seem to have the full event videos for each discipline on the Olympics Channel here, plus the gala: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/events/figure-skating--pyeongchang-2018/

Previously this was geoblocked in the US but within the last week or so, it's started working.

nimi

A lot of the SP videos from yesterday are getting blocked/removed but here are a couple of YT links that work (for the time being): 1. & 2.

In the press conference all the pairs talked about being tired but also seemed to be in a positive frame of mind so I'm excited for the FS! :cheer:

from Jackie's thread about the post-SP presser
Savchenko/Massot: It was good to skate one more time after the Olympics. We decided to Worlds because a lot of fmaily and friends couldn't go to Korea. We don't have a lot of pressure here, sometimes it's the best way to perform.
Massot: I promised myself I would never make that mistake again. The salchow was not great today but there was no chance that I would miss it again, even if it was diagonal
Savchenko/Massot: It won't be easy tomorrow because we are all tired. We will try to skate as well as we did at the Olympics. If there are mistakes, that's competition, but we will still be happy.

Mad for Skating

Great SP yesterday for the best team!!! I really hope they keep up the momentum and win Aliona's 6th World Title. Then, if Bruno needs to rest his back, they can take some time off.

QuadTwist

Thrilled for Aliona and Bruno on the results of their SP. Really looking forward to the FS. Hoping they go out on a high this season, though I genuinely believe they'll be at peace whatever happens. It's hard to think of a high that could match that Olympic FS. Still, I'll be glad for one more chance to watch the beauty of their choreo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information