Savchenko/Massot Fan Thread

text_skate

GS interview with coaches Alexander König and Jean-François Ballester, Savchenko/Massot's coaches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9up1CmvTnA
This is a really great interview. It's fun to watch both coaches. They seem to get along very well. And apparently do some good coaching together.

It's a pitty that they weren't asked about their relationship, how was their experience coming together because of the skaters, the changes JF Ballester had to make, König not being used to a co-coach.

whiteskates

Kerr and Dean as choreographers sounds promising. I hope they come up with even better programmes than this year if that is possible. Both the SP and FP were some of the best pairs programmes I've ever seen and although I couldn't attend the whole championships, I was happy to see the free skate live. It was sensational and apparently most of the audience thought so as well and gave them a standing ovation. Looking forward to next season already.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Kerr really tapped into the dynamics between the skaters. There is a raw sexuality between James/Cipres and that Sounds of Silence program really captured that. Savchenko/Massot don't have that type of dynamics, but he nailed the ethereal quality they have. It's not just music or movement, it's the pair dynamics tied to certain music and movement that makes a program memorable. Stolbova/Klimov's free (which was so much better than their short) is another example. They do modern, edgy better than any other skater. I'd love to see what he could do with them as well.

And, I'm not certain I've seen a skater make the improvement leaps that Bruno has made. While she is the star, he makes an excellent supporting player. They are totally different than she was with Robin. They both seem very happy with the arrangement and the results show that.

Taso

I rewatched their free from Worlds again, and I just think that throw landings aside that was absolutely unbelievable. So, so, so impressed :) I never thought I would say it but that might actually be my favorite program from Aljona - never thought anything would challenge Pina. I never thought Savchenko & Massot would get in the ballpark of Savchenko & Szolkowy, and I'm totally wrong. I honestly wish they would keep 'Lighthouse' for another season because not having won a major title with it seems like a travesty. And perhaps there is something even better waiting to come. :)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:violin:

It's a setback, but it's not game over for them. You do not underestimate Aljona Savchenko under any circumstances whatsoever. They'll be back better than they were before, and hopefully smarter. I hope Worlds can still happen for them. :fragile:

This is probably the 55th time in the past 12 years she's pulled through and proven to be a :glamor:, what a great Euros/Worlds for them and next year they'll be the sentimental favorites. I really hope they win the Olympics. I love Sui and Han, and others, but they can all win from 2019-2026 so long as Aljona/Bruno win next year.

I really loved Lighthouse but I hope for two new programs that are even better than this year, they're completely capable and it sounds like the coaching team is happy with what they've chosen ;) even though they refused to tell Ted, I wouldn't be surprised if their music is announced within the next month (and before any of the other pairs) so Aljona can protect her choices and instill the fear into her competitors hearts early on.

S

SmallFairy

This is probably the 55th time in the past 12 years she's pulled through and proven to be a :glamor:, what a great Euros/Worlds for them and next year they'll be the sentimental favorites. I really hope they win the Olympics. I love Sui and Han, and others, but they can all win from 2019-2026 so long as Aljona/Bruno win next year.

I really loved Lighthouse but I hope for two new programs that are even better than this year, they're completely capable and it sounds like the coaching team is happy with what they've chosen ;) even though they refused to tell Ted, I wouldn't be surprised if their music is announced within the next month (and before any of the other pairs) so Aljona can protect her choices and instill the fear into her competitors hearts early on.

Queen Aljona:glamor::respec:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !

So happy to hear from you, you had disappeared a bit for a while. Welcome back.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I rewatched their free from Worlds again, and I just think that throw landings aside that was absolutely unbelievable. So, so, so impressed :) I never thought I would say it but that might actually be my favorite program from Aljona - never thought anything would challenge Pina. I never thought Savchenko & Massot would get in the ballpark of Savchenko & Szolkowy, and I'm totally wrong. I honestly wish they would keep 'Lighthouse' for another season because not having won a major title with it seems like a travesty. And perhaps there is something even better waiting to come. :)

I feel the same. I doubted Bruno's ability to get there. I was so impressed at how the audience in Helsinki was applauding their sbs spins and then gave huge applause after the choreo sequence. Rare to see that kind of appreciation for something other than twists/throws. That level of detail in the program is why I think they should have won Worlds. I really thought the judges were itching to give it to them after they won the free at Euros with only a throw 2axel. Oh well.

I wouldn't mind at all if they kept Lighthouse, but it's probably Aljona's final year competing :( so I kind of want to see a new program as it may be the last. I think they might do something classic; their R&J exhibition is leaning in that direction. Everything this team does has purpose and thought behind it, and I had a feeling that program was a test run to see if Bruno could handle classical for the Olympics.

I wish there were still a real pro circuit.

annie_mg

I really hope they don't do something 'classical' like S/S's Nutcracker in 2014, with I never got. The couple that did Pina and Send in the clowns doing something so standard for the Olympics - why?

They've proven that they can push the envelope and work with a different, innovative style and the judges are going for it. Going for something classical would be like taking a step backwards in my humble opinion.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I trust John Kerr to choreograph the perfect program for them. He really is making good choices as a pair team choreographer. Plus, Savchenko knows what works for them. I expect them to have the 4twist perfected by next year and the skating gods know she seems determined to do the Th3A and a quad. They backed the quad to a triple after her injury, but she'll go for it for the Olympics. I wish she wouldn't and just do a well executed Th3flip like she used to do, but she knows what she wants. I'm just sorry we only got to see 3 years of competitions with them. I think their rise is even more meteoric than Volo/Trankov as both of them were top pair skaters before pairing up. Massot was not although he had the basics. But determination goes a very long way.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
So happy to hear from you, you had disappeared a bit for a while. Welcome back.

Thanks, skating fans on message boards were making me crazy and I needed a break from all of you.

I did watch Euros/4CC/Worlds and cheered like crazy for Aljona/Bruno from my couch. :cheer: got teary at Euros even

Oh, and BYE 4salchow, HELLO 3flip. :huh: why must she be so nuts? if anybody could give Sui a run for her money on the throw 3flip it would be Aljona from when she was with Robin. Hopefully they will consider it, they trained a throw 3flip in their first year (2014-15) for the Elvis SP.

Quadjump

I really hope they don't do something 'classical' like S/S's Nutcracker in 2014, with I never got. The couple that did Pina and Send in the clowns doing something so standard for the Olympics - why?

They've proven that they can push the envelope and work with a different, innovative style and the judges are going for it. Going for something classical would be like taking a step backwards in my humble opinion.

They will never ever choose classical stuff. I remember them saying that there is too much classical music in figure skating. Nutcracker was not the best choreography, but it was best ballett interpretation.

But how do they want to create better programs than last season? It sounds impossible.

cocotaffy

Can't wait to see the results, even though I loved their work with John Kerr and would have been happy to see them work with him again. Maybe for the short.

Quadjump

Can't wait to see the results, even though I loved their work with John Kerr and would have been happy to see them work with him again. Maybe for the short.
From what I heard. They will work with Kerr for the short again. Good choice.

Maybe Zimmermann and Fontana did not want to help them this year because the French became to strong.

Mad for Skating

I'm super excited to see their new programs. I was not a huge fan of them at first but this season I just fell in love with them. Aliona can skate to ANYTHING and Bruno is so strong and gentle that you can't help but love him.

I do hope they keep the throw 3A and throw 3S. Flip is not her thing and quad salchow scares me to death, and both 3A and 3S are working for them.

Personally, I wanna see them do a quad twist. The height on their triple is INSANE!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Throw 3flip is her thing though, she's landed dozens of beautiful throw 3flips with Robin throughout her career (and trained them with Bruno, there's a video of their Elvis SP in 2014 and it includes a two-footed throw 3flip https://youtu.be/eekVui48BlU) and the base value of the 3flip is a full point higher than the 3salchow.

They were 2nd at Worlds by less than 2 points, and she has shown in the past to be capable of a +3 worthy throw 3flip, which is worth virtually the same as a two footed 4salchow with -2 GOE. Plus the components are higher with a cleaner throw, to me it's an obvious place where they can pick up additional marks. (Plus the 3T step 3T sequence). Technically it's a safer bet to get 6-7 points on a clean throw 3flip than rolling the dice on a quad (which isn't realistic for them to land at the Olys, they haven't been doing it in competition and it's too risky for a re-injury IMO). Bruno throws her so (too) high, he just needs to tone it down a bit and I'm sure they could have a clean throw 3flip pretty easily.

The quad twist would only be beneficial if they still have the +3 GOE of the triple, if it's only a +1 or sloppy in any way it's really not worth it to compete IMO. But it's totally doable for them, safer, and I'd like to see them at least train it as a possibility. With a +3 on a 4twist they can gain an addition 2-2.5 points in TES.. wow I'm a nerd. But they have to be more math nerd, less kamikaze space cadet if they're going to make this OGM happen!! :drama:

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Throw 3flip is her thing though, she's landed dozens of beautiful throw 3flips with Robin throughout her career (and trained them with Bruno, there's a video of their Elvis SP in 2014 and it includes a two-footed throw 3flip https://youtu.be/eekVui48BlU) and the base value of the 3flip is a full point higher than the 3salchow.

They were 2nd at Worlds by less than 2 points, and she has shown in the past to be capable of a +3 worthy throw 3flip, which is worth virtually the same as a two footed 4salchow with -2 GOE. Plus the components are higher with a cleaner throw, to me it's an obvious place where they can pick up additional marks. (Plus the 3T step 3T sequence). Technically it's a safer bet to get 6-7 points on a clean throw 3flip than rolling the dice on a quad (which isn't realistic for them to land at the Olys, they haven't been doing it in competition and it's too risky for a re-injury IMO). Bruno throws her so (too) high, he just needs to tone it down a bit and I'm sure they could have a clean throw 3flip pretty easily.

The quad twist would only be beneficial if they still have the +3 GOE of the triple, if it's only a +1 or sloppy in any way it's really not worth it to compete IMO. But it's totally doable for them, safer, and I'd like to see them at least train it as a possibility. With a +3 on a 4twist they can gain an addition 2-2.5 points in TES.. wow I'm a nerd. But they have to be more math nerd, less kamikaze space cadet if they're going to make this OGM happen!! :drama:

Well, if she and Bruno can figure out the throw 3flip, then I say go for it. I think it was easier for Robin to throw her a smaller distance because he wasn't as massive as Bruno.

As for quad twist I think they'd totally be able to do it. Their triple is SO high that they could probably fit in 5 rotations if they wanted LOL.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
^ She could probably grab onto one of the rafters while she's up there for some extra hang time.

cocotaffy

I remember their coaches mentioning during their interview with Ted Flett the quad twist was not worth so many more points (Aljona likes to fly thanks to Bruno:glamor:) whereas they worked on a hard exit which is worth more. You can see she exit towards the right on her inside edge instead of the left on her outside edge, much harder to do. It's explained here on the CBC broadcast .

And here is some answers from her coaches on her approach to jumps, not sure it will reassure you @Karpenko :drama:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information