Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

reut

Pluschenko can play the biggest patriot all he wants - given who he is married to and his medical history the odds of him being drafted are 0. Why doesn't he just choose to STFU is a different question, but, IIRC he was never the brightest cookie in the jar....
He doesn't have this privilege of STFU, he had a state sponsored show and more to come.

airgelaal

Apparently it was reported in the Japanese press today that Irina Rodnina said skaters should not be exempt from the draft.
Yep. And the minister of sports of russia said the same: "Sports cannot be singled out as a refined community that can enjoy privileges. Our athletes are patriots who supported the President"

airgelaal

Do you have a link for this please?
Of course

starrynight

This is all propaganda 101.

I guess they are having to walk back (at least on the surface) some of the ‘rules for thee and not for me’ that have applied to the privileged so there is not complete uproar amongst the common folk.

A lot of countries with compulsory conscription make a real point of ensuring that high profile people have to do service. Think, say, Gal Gadot in Israel and lots of K-Drama stars in South Korea.

Last edited:

seabm7

This is all propaganda 101.

I guess they are having to walk back (at least on the surface) some of the ‘rules for thee and not for me’ that have applied to the privileged so there is not complete uproar amongst the common folk.

A lot of countries with compulsory conscription make a real point of ensuring that high profile people have to do service. Think, say, Gal Gadot in Israel and lots of K-Drama stars in South Korea.

In South Korea, if an athlete gets either an Olympic medal or an Asian game gold, he can select a social service option of 34 months incluing four weeks of basic training in lieu of a full military service. The government understands that sports careers are short and time-sensitive. A similar option is allowed for musicians who won a selected class of international competitions. A prime example is Yun-chan Lim, aka the Van Cliburn Rach 3, who already obtained the right to exercise this option when he won a major international competition in Korea as a 15 year old.

However, I am not sure what happens when a real war breaks. Does this person get recalled to the army? Probably. The social service option does NOT remove the military duty imposed on the person (ETA: I forgot typing NOT). There should be a rule somewhere hidden in the Korean conscription law.

For K-drama stars, their career is not age dependent. The government does not allow the social service option.

Last edited:

reut

Gal Gadot was nowhere near "high profile" when she was serving. :D (She won Miss Israel and started modelling a bit, but it's far from "high profile" I'd say).

starrynight

However, I am not sure what happens when a real war breaks. Does this person get recalled to the army? Probably. The social service option does NOT remove the military duty imposed on the person (ETA: I forgot typing NOT). There should be a rule somewhere hidden in the Korean conscription law.

I imagine the only need South Korea would have for that kind of drafting is if something really kicked off with North Korea. And with Seoul so close to the northern border then pretty much everyone would be in trouble if that occurred.

MsZem

I see the sea

Gal Gadot was nowhere near "high profile" when she was serving. :D (She won Miss Israel and started modelling a bit, but it's far from "high profile" I'd say).
There's also outstanding athlete/performer designations in the IDF, and the bar for that isn't as high as it is in South Korea; I'm pretty sure Roman Zaretsky got that, and maybe Krasnopolski too. Noa Kirel, Israel's next Eurovision contestant, served in a "talent" track as a singer.

millyskate

Yep. And the minister of sports of russia said the same: "Sports cannot be singled out as a refined community that can enjoy privileges. Our athletes are patriots who supported the President"
Watching to see if Nikita Nagorny gets drafted…. Considering he’s been a flag bearer for all things war and Putin he should volunteer. But I expect he’s too prestigious to get hit.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
And before the saints of FSU come and say 'I would've done the right thing, because I do everything perfect every time and I was the best child ever'
This flippant statement reminds me of my favorite quotations from Robert Louis Stevenson: "Saints are sinners who kept on going."

Awful program. Words cannot express how much I do not miss this gimmick-laden, repetitive, tacky choreography. However, I do appreciate the red carpet and evening wear at the beginning of the video. Take notes, USFS.

greenapple

The Canadian government imposed sanctions on Tatiana Navka and her two adult step children yesterday. They are under the Elites and Close Associates of the Regime List of Individuals on this page "who were sanctioned for their complicity in President Putin’s choice to invade a peaceful and sovereign country."

Last edited:

On My Own

Awful program. Words cannot express how much I do not miss this gimmick-laden, repetitive, tacky choreography. However, I do appreciate the red carpet and evening wear at the beginning of the video. Take notes, USFS.
Now that the serious stuff is out of the way, I must say, the men's one made me wheeze. Only watched Aliev since he got drafted so idgaf about him anymore, and wanted to laugh

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
What will be really telling is if the junior ladies in her group from last season and the less successful seniors (Akatieva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Petrosian) jump ship as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information