Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

Perhaps, but then it is unconscious Putin-apologism.
I don't think questioning whether the sports ban has any sort of effect or missing Russian sports is any kind of Putin-apologism. There's a huge gap between making an argument for sports and being a Putin-apologist. I definitely don't think hanca's ever going to be justifying the war at any point of time. Personally, I don't think it's beneficial to be assigning such a motive to anyone here.

I hope I am clear. There's a big difference between the whataboutery of "Russian athletes are banned but Israel athletes aren't" vs "If Israel and Palestine can do battle and the West doesn't question it, then Russia should be able to wage war against Ukraine without the West questioning it". I know there's a lot of propaganda in Russian sports and it has a lot of soft power, but I still think we need to be correct with this distinction.

I know, what I’m asking is have they just been notified or are they already gone. And why those two? There are several other Russian skaters old enough to go. Is it the CSKA club members?
Aliev and Ignatov should be St Petersburg.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I know, what I’m asking is have they just been notified or are they already gone. And why those two? There are several other Russian skaters old enough to go. Is it the CSKA club members?
How old do you have to be to be drafted?

Vagabond

I don't know. It has, however, been mentioned in PI that another CSKA skater, Alexander Samarin, was reportedly called up but that his coach disputed the report.

On My Own

I don't know. It has, however, been mentioned in PI that another CSKA skater, Alexander Samarin, was reportedly called up but that his coach disputed the report.
Rukaivicin skaters are St Petersburg isn't it? Wikipedia says so too. I did expect CSKA Moscow to be called up first.

hanca

Values her privacy
But I don't have an answer for you beyond "the aggressor is unclear" unlike with Russia/Ukraine. It's not difficult to see for me, and I don't think it has anything to do with those conflicts being "West-approved".

However, if you argue for the ban involving all the cases you mentioned, it can very much swallow up a large chunk of the world. If you want to make that argument, make it, I don't really care either way. It's just sports.
The aggressor is unclear…is that a good enough reason to ignore that people are being killed? If the aggressor is genuinely unclear, I would ban both countries. If banning countries from competing at any high level sport is as effective as some posters are suggesting, at least it would put pressure on both countries to end it. So not banning the countries seems like accepting that the people are dying - on both sides.

On My Own

The aggressor is unclear…is that a good enough reason to ignore that people are being killed? If the aggressor is genuinely unclear, I would ban both countries. If banning countries from competing at any high level sport is as effective as some posters are suggesting, at least it would put pressure on both countries to end it. So not banning the countries seems like accepting that the people are dying - on both sides.
I have nothing to say to you. I'm dropping this subject with you. I've already told you to make whichever argument you want since it genuinely doesn't matter to me if one or one hundred countries are banned. The IOC have their standards and their precedents and they used them. I don't have anything to add to the debate, which I acknowledge can exist if one chooses.

zebraswan

TAT claims they can defer until after Euros and Worlds. 🙄 As if Russians will be there anyway.

I happen to like Dima and Makar, and don't wish for anyone to be drafted for this pointless war, but it doesn't sit right with me that athletes should be put on a pedestal and given preferential treatment over other men who have lives, families, professions, etc. And first of all they should be calling all the Z enthusiasts and shameless Putin lovers like Katsalapov, Morozov, Plushenko, Ivan Kuliak, Nikita Nagorny, etc.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't think questioning whether the sports ban has any sort of effect or missing Russian sports is any kind of Putin-apologism. There's a huge gap between making an argument for sports and being a Putin-apologist. I definitely don't think hanca's ever going to be justifying the war at any point of time. Personally, I don't think it's beneficial to be assigning such a motive to anyone here.
Exactly. I do not condone what Russia has done. And I really don’t think highly about people whose form of reasoning is to label everyone who doesn’t have the same opinion as them as Putin’s apologists.

I hope I am clear. There's a big difference between the whataboutery of "Russian athletes are banned but Israel athletes aren't" vs "If Israel and Palestine can do battle and the West doesn't question it, then Russia should be able to wage war against Ukraine without the West questioning it". I know there's a lot of propaganda in Russian sports and it has a lot of soft power, but I still think we need to be correct with this distinction.
I think I would put it the other way round. Not “if two countries can do battle and the West doesn’t question it, why Russia can’t do the same” because then it is like condoning war. I am strongly against war.
My argument is more like “why don’t we use the same sanctions for every country who does the same”. Why there are sanctions against some countries and not against other countries doing the same thing. I am not advocating for allowing Russia do war because there is war between others countries. I am advocating for sanctions against any country actively involved with war. And that doesn’t make me Putins apologist!

BittyBug

Disgusted
TAT claims they can defer until after Euros and Worlds. 🙄 As if Russians will be there anyway.

I happen to like Dima and Makar, and don't wish for anyone to be drafted for this pointless war, but it doesn't sit right with me that athletes should be put on a pedestal and given preferential treatment over other men who have lives, families, professions, etc. And first of all they should be calling all the Z enthusiasts and shameless Putin lovers like Katsalapov, Morozov, Plushenko, Ivan Kuliak, Nikita Nagorny, etc.
I agree with you, but it has been thus pretty much everywhere for quite some time. The last time the U.S. had a draft was for the Vietnam War, and it was pretty easy if you had connections to get a deferment or safe assignment to the National Guard. (Credence Clearwater's song Fortunate Son touches on this.)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
FS Gossips article about Aliev and Ignatov.

Russian source is Match TV.

The Match TV translation provided by FS Gossips says that the FFKR has requested a delay, so while TAT claims they can defer until after Worlds, I don't think it's a done deal - just that the FFKR is asking for a delay. She's also saying that it's because they're on the main national team, which is only 4-5 skaters. If I was applying logic to this, then I'd ask why there were 12 men invited to skate at the test skates this past weekend. It's not as if any of these guys have distinguished themselves internationally. Replace Aliev and Ignatov with Gummenik and Erokhov (just pulling two names out of thin air) and you're likely to get the same results from the men at Euros and Worlds.

By the way, going back to the non-appearance at the test skates by SinKats and their announcement that they were skipping the first half of the season to skate in shows, as well as rest and plan their wedding, but they'd be back for the 2nd half of the season for Euros and Worlds - is there really a belief in Russian elite skating quarters that the ban will be lifted by February 2023? It's certainly beginning to seem that way

Tesla

Whippet Good
The Match TV translation provided by FS Gossips says that the FFKR has requested a delay, so while TAT claims they can defer until after Worlds, I don't think it's a done deal - just that the FFKR is asking for a delay. She's also saying that it's because they're on the main national team, which is only 4-5 skaters. If I was applying logic to this, then I'd ask why there were 12 men invited to skate at the test skates this past weekend. It's not as if any of these guys have distinguished themselves internationally. Replace Aliev and Ignatov with Gummenik and Erokhov (just pulling two names out of thin air) and you're likely to get the same results from the men at Euros and Worlds.

By the way, going back to the non-appearance at the test skates by SinKats and their announcement that they were skipping the first half of the season to skate in shows, as well as rest and plan their wedding, but they'd be back for the 2nd half of the season for Euros and Worlds - is there really a belief in Russian elite skating quarters that the ban will be lifted by February 2023? It's certainly beginning to seem that way
Hope dies last? With all the sh*t that's happening in Ukraine, I hope they're banned the entire Olympic cycle.

Trillian

- is there really a belief in Russian elite skating quarters that the ban will be lifted by February 2023? It's certainly beginning to seem that way

I have gotten that impression too, but I don’t think there’s any basis in reality. I haven’t gotten the impression that there would be substantial support for a quick overturn of the ban among non-Russian ISU members. It’s just delusion on the part of people who have no understanding of what’s going on outside of Russia (in skating and in general) right now.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Not at all. More than that the RusFed scheduled the biggest figure skating TV Show (the skating/jumping competition with the professionals and amateurs at once) for the same-ish dates as the Worlds. I assume SinKat will want to participate those because well, money.

Don't know whether it was mentioned, but SteBuk are also skipping the first part because of her back problems

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
@bbcRussian
Professional athletes started receiving their drafts. The 37y.o football player Diniar Bilaletdinov. He was playing for the British Everton and the russian national team. His father said `He will not run away and buy tickets to Turkey or Kazakhstan. He will go to the drafting point'. Ex Dinamo player a 48y.o Sergey Grishin found a draft note in his post box. He doesn't know what to do - he was supposed to show up at 9am, but he only saw the note at 13:0. The president of the Russian cycling federation Ekimov said 3 athletes and a coach got a draft note. The Fed is attempting to get a delay for them. The same happened in Figure skating - the 22y,o Aliev and 23y.o Ignatov got the draft notes. The commentator Guberniev writes 3 biathletes on the `national level' got the drafts. The Russian sports ministry are working with the army.
In Ukraine about 2000 athletes volunteered to the army. More than 100 were killed, among them a kickboxer Nikolai Zabavchuk, the sport dance champion Daria Kurdel and a football player from Dinamo Kiev and israeli Maccabi Sergey Balanchuk.

Vagabond

18-50 generally, 18-65 for certain military professions/levels.

They are not drafting the students, which makes Aliev/Ignatov draft all more weird
In principle, they aren't drafting students, but, in practice, other students have received draft notices. These two are high-profile examples, not complete flukes.

zebraswan

I don't think it makes much sense to say "why should figure skaters be saved" when we are talking about an unjust and evil war. You avoid being drafted to commit atrocities by any means necessary. At least if you understand that the war is wrong.
It is much more likely that the well-trained Ukrainian soldiers defending home soil will harm the unmotivated, untrained, unequipped amateurs than vice versa. And they all know it.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
FS Gossips article about Aliev and Ignatov.

Russian source is Match TV.

This makes me chuckle because, in the latest TSL show, Dave Lease half-jokingly suggested that draft notices would/should go to the male singles skaters who perform most poorly in each stage of the upcoming Russian GP series! “You finish last, you’re the first to go!”

Funny…but not really.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
This makes me chuckle because, in the latest TSL show, Dave Lease half-jokingly suggested that draft notices would/should go to the male singles skaters who perform most poorly in each stage of the upcoming Russian GP series! “You finish last, you’re the first to go!”

Funny…but not really.
LOL - yeah, I appreciated that bit of dark humor from them.

airgelaal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information