Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie_mg

Ha! How it comes that Russia sends their skater to be treated to the the evil West? This does not not fit well with their endless (and sophisticated) propaganda machine "we, Russians, are the best" or " West hates us because we are the best"
Russian gymnasts are also sent to Germany. There's a doctor in Munich that also operated Alina Mustafina's knee after her serious injury. Everybody goes to him!

hanca

Values her privacy
Naive you say, some call it cowardice.

Anyways there is much more to life than competitive figure skating.
Cowardice? Or is it just high expectations of other people, while you wouldn’t risk it yourself? I wouldn’t be so judgmental unless you are in the person’s situation. Otherwise, how can you be certain that you would speak out?

Lilia A

There's a doctor in Munich that also operated Alina Mustafina's knee after her serious injury.
To be fair, Mustafina's injury happened IN Germany, at a competition, live on television (I'll never get it out of my head, that's for sure). IIRC it was after her surgery that gymnasts started going there for treatment.
Oh and little friendly FYI, it's Aliya, not Alina :)

Bigbird

Cowardice? Or is it just high expectations of other people, while you wouldn’t risk it yourself? I wouldn’t be so judgmental unless you are in the person’s situation. Otherwise, how can you be certain that you would speak out?
Let's just agree to disagree here. IMHO, she was treated by ET and DG in a most outrageous manner. The things they also said mockingly about a teenager, in the press no less, were petty, childish and poor. They are the ADULTS. But they came across as desperate serfs of the system. That may be a cultural norm in some circles, but I will never support it.
Thank you.

Hedwig

Antique member
To be fair, Mustafina's injury happened IN Germany, at a competition, live on television (I'll never get it out of my head, that's for sure). IIRC it was after her surgery that gymnasts started going there for treatment.
Oh and little friendly FYI, it's Aliya, not Alina :)
They did before as well. As early as the 90s afaik.

Sylvia

TBD
This news is posted in the Canadian Women's thread... Uliana Shiryaeva, 15 (11th at 2022 Russian Junior Nationals and a JGP alternate last year) and her family have moved to Vancouver and she is waiting to be released to represent Canada: https://rsport.ria.ru/20220819/figuristka-1810681767.html
Her former coach in Moscow, Alexei Vasilevsky, told RIA Novosti's Anatoly Samokhvalov that Shiryaeva "almost owns two quadruple jumps and a triple axel."

Last edited:

Vagabond

As much as you want to pretend it is not like this, what would happen if, as a student, you suddenly made a public interview and criticise your school or university and the teachers? Or your sport club and your coaches? Especially if you were a person known to public, so whatever you say would be followed by many people…. There would be consequences.
Yes, consequences for the teachers, consequences for the coaches, and consequences for their employers too.

In the United States, teachers who are as abusive to their students as Eteri Tutberidze and Daniil Gleikhengauz very often lose their job, their license, and their career. Some even lose their freedom. The same is true in your country too.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, consequences for the teachers, consequences for the coaches, and consequences for their employers too.

In the United States, teachers who are as abusive to their students as Eteri Tutberidze and Daniil Gleikhengauz very often lose their job, their license, and their career. Some even lose their freedom. The same is true in your country too.
Do you mean my country of birth, or my current country?

I don’t think it is true in my first country. I would know, I learned the hard way. Sometimes it is more sensible to toe the line. Telling what you think may be very satisfying, but only for the short time. The long term consequences may not be worth it.

And actually, in this current country it is not much different either. Despite the legislation protecting whistle blowers, in reality one would have to fight it and not everyone has the financial means to do so. And if you add the problems caused when trying to find another job, some things really are not worth it.

That’s not say that I would protect any abuser, but I would definitely not give interview the way Kostornaya did.

hanca

Values her privacy
Artemeva looks pretty good with Briukhanov, considering how long they have been skating together. I like Briukhanov more with Artemeva than with Kostiukovich.

Chikmarieva/Yanchenko also look good, but it is expected because they were among the top Russian junior teams last season.

Khvalko is back with a new partner. Were, not quite new because he was already with her last season but they needed more time. They didn’t look bad at all now. Pity that his partnership with Kuzmina could not continue, but their physical size was not compatible any more.

Antonyshev has a fourth partner within two year period. (Finokhina, Mukhametzianova, Osokina and Chernyshova). And with a big age difference, they won’t be able to skate at international competitions for a few years because she won’t be eligible for seniors and he won’t be able to compete in juniors.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
That is hardly the only reason why they won't be able to skate at international competitions.
Ha ha ha, you are soooo funny…or not. Trying so hard to be funny does not always work out the way you would hope for.

Having a big age difference means that she won’t be eligible to skate in seniors yet and he won’t be eligible for juniors, for a few years. Even when Russia will be able to compete in international competitions.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Russian press: Tarasova flew to the USA!!!
Russian press: Tarasova will move to the USA and coach the American skaters!!!
Tarasova: well, I lived here for a couple of years coaching the Russian skaters, so I still have some stuff here stored at my friends'. I have 2 winter boots to bring home, should I present them to you as a reason?

Hindernisse

Danielian coaching change
Buyanova-->Rukavitsyn

My completely baseless version of the reasons for this move. He wants to end his allegiance with the CSKA which is a club linked to the Russian army because he plans to change countries in the future. I guess it would be easier to do so from a different club. Again, this is speculation on my part.

DobrinFan

My completely baseless version of the reasons for this move. He wants to end his allegiance with the CSKA which is a club linked to the Russian army because he plans to change countries in the future. I guess it would be easier to do so from a different club. Again, this is speculation on my part.

RusFed added him to the reserve junior team recently. If he had plans on leaving, he should not have accepted funding from the RusFed this year, as it would make releasing him harder.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Russian press: Tarasova flew to the USA!!!
Russian press: Tarasova will move to the USA and coach the American skaters!!!
Tarasova: well, I lived here for a couple of years coaching the Russian skaters, so I still have some stuff here stored at my friends'. I have 2 winter boots to bring home, should I present them to you as a reason?
"Storing TAT's winter boots" would've been a great rep-title back in the days.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am afraid it's a wishful thinking. I don't see the RusFed releasing a European medalist after they funded his health issues for 2 seasons at least. The only thing for that theory imho is that Rukavitsin indeed has the only Russian representing not Russia (Gubanova the GEO), perhaps if Kvitelashvili retired Danielian would be given a spot for GEO?

From Galustyan's interviews it seems ARM federation gave her 0 support and while Galustyan had her parents to coach her / give her free ice AFAIK Danielian doesn't have such resources. So unless he is filthy reach I don't believe he can represent ARM, but there is a glimpse of hope he'll represent GEO.

caseyedwards

New York Times article on Kamila Valieva; not much new in it, just a sort of recap of what happened. Someone on Reddit unlocked it, so there's no paywall.
Of course she disappeared! Russia is completely banned from all sports! I mean scherbakova and trusova have also disappeared

Kateri

void beast
FYI, Plato means "broad", and sounds weird enough in ancient Greek that historians suspect it was a nickname, maybe even a wrestling name. So this baby name is the equivalent of people thousands of years in the future naming their child after that great man of the 21st century, "The Rock".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information