Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Petrenko could easily charge $100/hour for lessons on his rep alone. If he doesn’t want to coach, that’s fine, but let’s not pretend skating in minor roles in Russian ice shows is the only thing a 50 year old ex-figure skater can do.
Based on the coaching rates at the rinks where he coaches, he's likely charging $60 or more per half hour, so $120 per hour.

VGThuy

And saying no to one opportunity or gig in no way hinders his ability to work for the rest of the year. What would he have done had Navka not offered him this job? Starve to death? What has he been doing every year he didn’t have a Navka show?

Trillian

Coaching rates- he still has to hustle for students. He can't coach every hour.

This is a really bizarre take. Are you implying that a full-time coach of his stature can’t make a comfortable living? Plenty do just fine without supplementing their income in other ways. Petrenko doesn’t need to skate in ice shows to pay the bills, unless he’s found really creative ways to blow all the money he and his wife have earned. Coaching is a profession in itself and can be a pretty lucrative one.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Petrenko made a choice, cashed a paycheck, and now must deal with the fallout.

As an aside: I'm convinced his Mambo No. 5 program with the mannequin, which he seemingly skated on a weekly basis at the turn of the millennium, was the final death knell for professional skating. It was even worse in person than television, believe it or not.

barbarafan

Well he will have to now, that's for certain.
so true. I can see a lot of contracts not being renewed or the location of the rinks where he coaches is no longer in a convenient location..... Unless some of his students and/or their parents are from the Maga crowd in which case he will be a hero. On the other hand (only because I am a Libra) maybe he is going there as an undercover spy for Zelinsky in which case he is an unsung hero.

soogar

It isn't just what he is able to earn now. Petrenko probably earned a great deal during the "post-whack boom", when there were tours and shows in abundance.
Hope he still has his money.
Also has her Twitter description saying "1994 OLYMPIC GOLD Figure Skater (ONLY Ukrainian ever)"... But I guess Petrenko wasn't an OGM for the Ukrainian team, rather the "unified team".
That's true. Viktor only finished 4th as a Ukrainian. Oksana has continually maintained that Viktor and Galina fleeced her of her earnings.

As for coaching and rinks caring whether he skated in Navka's show, I didn't think there were so many qualified coaches that a rink would ban Viktor. Morozov has done worse and he still seems to find rinks.

On My Own

As for coaching and rinks caring whether he skated in Navka's show, I didn't think there were so many qualified coaches that a rink would ban Viktor. Morozov has done worse and he still seems to find rinks.
But I mean... then why were you saying he'd need to hustle for students in the first place? Parents are more likely to go for someone else now than they were before...

Coaching is a lucrative career... It is doubtful he did the Navka show for lack of any other opportunity.

soogar

But I mean... then why were you saying he'd need to hustle for students in the first place? Parents are more likely to go for someone else now than they were before...

Coaching is a lucrative career... It is doubtful he did the Navka show for lack of any other opportunity.
I don't think coaching is for everyone. Dave Lease spoke of his experience with Viktor Petrenko and said he was a good coach but he (Viktor) did not seem interested in coaching. If he prefers to perform and doesn't want to be tied to a rink hustling for students and teaching 1/2 hour lessons, then there isn't much opportunity for him if that is the route he wants to take.

Trillian

I don't think coaching is for everyone. Dave Lease spoke of his experience with Viktor Petrenko and said he was a good coach but he (Viktor) did not seem interested in coaching. If he prefers to perform and doesn't want to be tied to a rink hustling for students and teaching 1/2 hour lessons, then there isn't much opportunity for him if that is the route he wants to take.

I agree that coaching isn’t for everyone, and would add that not all great skaters make great coaches regardless. Maybe Viktor isn’t destined for coaching. But he’s also 50 years old, so performing isn’t exactly a viable long-term career plan either. If he truly needs the money at this point in his life and he doesn’t want to coach, he might want to consider another grown-up job.

Sylvia

TBD
Sofya Akatyeva, Adelia Petrosyan and Sofya Samodelkina will perform at the test skates of the adult Russian figure skating team [September 24-25 in Moscow], RIA Novosti was told by the Russian Figure Skating Federation: https://rsport.ria.ru/20220811/figuristki-1808884547.html

Elizaveta Nugumanova told RIA Novosti that she would take part in the test skates in St. Petersburg, September 5-7 (she now is working with Elena Sokolova, an ice dancing coach in the St. Petersburg Figure Skating Academy): https://rsport.ria.ru/20220812/nugumanova-1809138039.html

On My Own

OK. But it still doesn't mean a genocide show was his only option. Frankly, he should have developed another skill set a long time back if he's so choosy that the only option remaining to him was to wait for this.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I was dumb enough to worry for Petrenko when the war started. I loved him as a skater and also as a person because he was always charming, fun and easy going during interviews. I remember him at 1992 Olys, thrilled by his gold medal, but sad because he was skating for the "Unified team" and not for a "real country". At the time I thought he was speaking of Ukraine as he's born in Odessa (It became independant from former USSR the year before IIRW). Maybe I was already wrong... I don't see now why people want him to explain himself as his behavior is more than self-explanatory. He has chosen the side of the assailant, not to defend his country. And I highly doubt it's because he desperately needs money. He is just an opportunistic jerk with no morale who sides with the ones who commit massacres. Skating for Navka, of all persons, seriously?? It wouldn't be worse if he had a Z tattooed on his forehead. He is a war collaborator, just like some despicable people were during WWII. And just like after WWII, there will be a high price to pay by this kind of people. It will bite him in the ass and it will be brutal. I'm not someone who'll condemn every single Russian for remaining silent and not protesting against the war. But he is Ukrainian for feck sake!! His people is being slaughtered. Working for Navka means he prefers to cowardly seek shelter within the enemy's ranks. It's exactly like if he was flipping his mid finger to Ukraine and displaying as much contempt as he can to his countrymen. Maybe he felt nostalgia of the USSR all these years after all. At least it looks pretty much like it. As French saying goes: si ce n'est pas ça, c'est bien imité. If it's not that, it's well mimicked. I don't understand how people can try to find him excuses. There is absolutely none which can look even remotely legitimate.

Bigbird

Sotnikova visited occupied Lugansk with master-class
No comments.
What are we not understanding here in the west? What makes this so palatable?

Persons have been using Crimea as a vacation spot for years as well. Honestly I am lost. In very much the same way as Chinese consider Taiwan their property. We just cannot change mindsets so how do we coexist? Hmm..

airgelaal

Persons have been using Crimea as a vacation spot for years as well. Honestly I am lost. In very much the same way as Chinese consider Taiwan their property. We just cannot change mindsets so how do we coexist? Hmm..
Lugansk and Crimea is Ukraine. But Russians do not care about international laws and border crossing rules. They don't care about supporting terrorists.

Hedwig

Antique member

seriously??? What is not to get there?

Coexist?? So someone invades your country and then uses one of your towns as vacation stop or to do a course there and then you say - no sweat - let us coexist??

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Russian fans are speculating about a coaching change 🤣
I would too... When your coach has already put you out to pasture, can you really be certain he's giving you his best effort? Especially after what he gave you last season. Sure, it got you a silver medal, but we'll never forget the complete WTF that was the Rach-Irish jig mash-up FD.

happycamper2554

I would too... When your coach has already put you out to pasture, can you really be certain he's giving you his best effort? Especially after what he gave you last season. Sure, it got you a silver medal, but we'll never forget the complete WTF that was the Rach-Irish jig mash-up FD.
Now any time i listen to Rach i expect to hear the Irish Jig after and I have to remind myself that its not the real cut. Where would they go? back to Marina, that would be good from a material standpoint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information