Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgelaal

I don't disagree, but it IS disingenuous of the RFSF to re-brand the Russian Cup series into their own Grand Prix series. They can try to convince Russian skating fans that this is somehow equal to the ISU GP but, is anyone really going to fall for that?
Already! The Russian Federation has always invited the weakest of the possible skaters so that the Russian skaters will win. For many Russian fans, only Russian skaters exist and they are the strongest. And if they don't win, then it's a conspiracy. For many Russian fans, Russian figure skaters are the foundation of world figure skating. Without them, figure skating will die, but they will live perfectly.
And this philosophy can be traced in all spheres of life in Russia. You can see a clear parallel with what is happening in Ukraine now.

karmena

Already! The Russian Federation has always invited the weakest of the possible skaters so that the Russian skaters will win. For many Russian fans, only Russian skaters exist and they are the strongest. And if they don't win, then it's a conspiracy. For many Russian fans, Russian figure skaters are the foundation of world figure skating. Without them, figure skating will die, but they will live perfectly.
And this philosophy can be traced in all spheres of life in Russia. You can see a clear parallel with what is happening in Ukraine now.
This is an absolute truth.
And truth is only one, like the sun- only one.

Trillian

You can question it as much as you like, but Russia currently has roughly four or five times as many ladies with quads and triple axels than the rest of the world all together. So even if you split them among six events, I am pretty sure the TES at the Russian ladies event will be higher than the technical level can rotate in the air more times than the skaters at the international GP event. And it may not be your thing, no one forces you to watch it, but there is no point pretending that the rest of the world is technically as good can rotate in the air as many times.

Fixed this for you.

On My Own

You can question it as much as you like, but Russia currently has roughly four or five times as many ladies with quads and triple axels than the rest of the world all together. So even if you split them among six events, I am pretty sure the TES at the Russian ladies event will be higher than the technical level at the international GP event. And it may not be your thing, no one forces you to watch it, but there is no point pretending that the rest of the world is technically as good.
It must be a shock for you and the Russian federation that Russian skaters aren't allowed on the circuit, and their abuse, doping, and the politics for hilarious scores that are served up for garbage skating and bad jumps - none of which deserve any credit - all will amount to this much this season: zero.

And for that I'm glad. So much so, I'd joke about it in an ice rink somewhere, if I weren't resistant to running into certain personalities.

Alli84

What will be interesting to see is whether or not the RFSF will follow all the new technical rules/changes passed by the ISU as well as any other proposals that may be passed (age minimums).
Kinda related to this: I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot by rebranding.
In the Russian cup, their skaters were able to get bonuses for any ultra-C elements, as well as for level 4 spins, if I remember correctly. That would have allowed them to brag about completely fake scores.
Now that it's not "the Russian Cup" anymore, will they dare import this scheme in their brand new "GP"?

caseyedwards

Because, unlike your brain, their bodies are supposed to last one lifetime without falling apart prematurely.
They are very high level athletes that’s probably going to happen! I know high school athletes who are getting knee surgery and have other problems. So why should Olympic athletes be on easy street physically?

Trillian

Thank you very much for fixing it for me. It must come as a shock to you that more rotations means more points. Therefore the Russians have higher technical scores.

Higher TES doesn’t equate to better technical skating, especially when you throw in judging so shady that your girls are getting positive GOEs for elements with visible errors. Have fun counting rotations, though! Everyone needs a hobby.

soogar

If the age proposal passes then probably they come to realization they have to conserve bodies so all quads go away
I don’t know about that. Trusova is keeping her jumps. Even if she loses 1 or 2, she still will have two quads. Liza is adding a quad. I don’t know why everyone thinks they are going to lose their quads. The technique is only improving. Veronica Zhelina showed a quad lutz with clean technique. The Russians had succeeded in getting quads in their girls. This will only fuel the confidence of other girls to try and land the elements.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It must be a shock for you and the Russian federation that Russian skaters aren't allowed on the circuit, and their abuse, doping, and the politics for hilarious scores that are served up for garbage skating and bad jumps - none of which deserve any credit - all will amount to this much this season: zero.

And for that I'm glad. So much so, I'd joke about it in an ice rink somewhere, if I weren't resistant to running into certain personalities.
Just Curious Why would you say all that?

hanca

Values her privacy
Higher TES doesn’t equate to better technical skating, especially when you throw in judging so shady that your girls are getting positive GOEs for elements with visible errors. Have fun counting rotations, though! Everyone needs a hobby.
Firstly, not my girls because I am not Russian. But I love watching skating because of the skating, not because of supporting skaters from my country. So yes, I will be watching Russian grand prix. If you think that it is only Russian women who gets positive GEO with visible errors, you are deluded. Over the years I have seen the judges holding up as many US and Canadian women as they were Russian women. (And not only women, this is the same in any category). But as you said, everyone needs hobby. I will be watching Russian and international skating.

caseyedwards

I don’t know about that. Trusova is keeping her jumps. Even if she loses 1 or 2, she still will have two quads. Liza is adding a quad. I don’t know why everyone thinks they are going to lose their quads. The technique is only improving. Veronica Zhelina showed a quad lutz with clean technique. The Russians had succeeded in getting quads in their girls. This will only fuel the confidence of other girls to try and land the elements.
I don’t believe the skaters who have quads will lose them. it’s possible the next group that can compete internationally in 10 years or so will never have don’t them at all.

Sylvia

TBD
https://tass.ru/sport/14783279
MOSCOW, May 31. /TASS/. The composition of the group of figure skaters who will train at the academy of two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko in pair skating has become known. The list of athletes was published by the press service of the Angels Plushenko Academy on Tuesday.
The group included the winner of the 2018 Junior Grand Prix stage Polina Kostyukovich, the silver medalist of the Junior Grand Prix final and the Youth Olympic Games Ilya Mironov, as well as Vladislav Antonyshev, Elizaveta Osokina, Andrey Rud, Taisiya Sobinina and Anastasia Chernysheva.
Does this mean Osokina/Antonyshev are no longer together? They had competed internationally together in February 2022: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022-winter-star-feb-10-13-minsk-blr.109440/

Interview with Akopova & Rahmanin (the last Russian pair to compete internationally earlier this year when they won Challenge Cup in NED; she had planned to skate with Hektor Giopoulos Moore in 2017 but she said the federation would not release her):

hanca

Values her privacy
https://tass.ru/sport/14783279

Does this mean Osokina/Antonyshev are no longer together? They had competed internationally together in February 2022: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022-winter-star-feb-10-13-minsk-blr.109440/
I can’t see why shouldn’t they. Both Osokina and Antonyshev are on the list of skaters who went to Pluschenko. There is also Mironov and Sobinina (according to recent gossip they were skating together) and Rud and Chernysheva who also skated together last season. So it seems that from those seven names only Kostiukovich doesn’t have a partner.

clairecloutier

An interesting (and long) interview here with Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva:

This interview touches on a number of topics, including Russia's isolation in international skating, skaters' relationship with food/eating disorders, her mother's disturbing and dysfunctional attitudes toward weight, and her thoughts on the rhythm dance changes. (There are also some rather confused remarks about feminism/power imbalance in skating ... well, she is still very young.)

P.S. Also interesting here ... Khudaiberdieva declares: "Now figure skating is the number one sport in Russia." I don't know if she means in terms of TV ratings, or general coverage in the press/social media.

Last edited:

Vagabond

irenemulindwairen

clairecloutier

So apparently Artemeva/Nazarychev are officially no more, and both have other parners:

Yulia Artemeva will team with Alexei Bryukhanov (who I think last skated with Polina Kostiukovich).

Mikhail Nazarychev has teamed up with Nadezhda Labazina.

Mixed feelings on this. I always enjoyed the interesting mix of qualities that Artemeva/Nazarychev had (and their strong skating skills), but it's also true that I never had that feeling of "oneness" from them on the ice. They always felt to me distinctly like two individuals combining their talents ... as opposed to more the true "pairs" feel of, say, a Smirnova/Siianytsia or Pepeleva/Pleshkov. I do find it interesting that they would break up after having quite a bit of success together. Interesting to see how things work out with the new partners.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Evgeni Semenenko "gave RIA Novosti Sport his first interview after a severe head injury received on Evgeni Plushenko's show - about the causes of the terrible fall, the criminal case and the refusal of monetary compensation.":
Machine translated excerpt:
- When did you finally go on the ice for the first time?
- On May 3, I went out on the ice for the first time. The training went well, but after the ice it was somehow unusual in sensations. At the next training session, everything was fine.
- The immediate goal is to have a productive training camp in Kislovodsk, now I'm here. The programs for the next season have been set, literally a week ago they finished staging the free program. I was lucky to work with Ilya Averbukh. For me, this is a new interesting communication and cooperation...

hanca

Values her privacy

So apparently Artemeva/Nazarychev are officially no more, and both have other parners:

Yulia Artemeva will team with Alexei Bryukhanov (who I think last skated with Polina Kostiukovich).

Mikhail Nazarychev has teamed up with Nadezhda Labazina.

Mixed feelings on this. I always enjoyed the interesting mix of qualities that Artemeva/Nazarychev had (and their strong skating skills), but it's also true that I never had that feeling of "oneness" from them on the ice. They always felt to me distinctly like two individuals combining their talents ... as opposed to more the true "pairs" feel of, say, a Smirnova/Siianytsia or Pepeleva/Pleshkov. I do find it interesting that they would break up after having quite a bit of success together. Interesting to see how things work out with the new partners.
Well, Briukhanov upgraded, because he swapped a non-jumping partner for a jumping partner.
Labazina also upgraded because she swapped Sviatchenko for a better partner, Nazarychev.
Artemeva swapped one pretty decent partner for another pretty decent partner. So the only one who seems to have done badly in this swap is Nazarychev. I mean, swapping Artemeva for Labazina? Was he so desperate to get away from Artemeva that he decided to skate with anyone? I don’t understand why he didn’t choose anyone better. He could have grabbed Geinish, who is now with Chigiriev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information