Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't see Kazakhstan being terribly concerned, even if the team competition in 2026 wasn't beckoning.
Kazakhstan needs a lot more than just Shaidorov and a Russian girl who couldn't finish higher than 11th at their Nats this year to make the TE in Milano, and I don't think Russian ice dance has the sort of depth that will allow them to release a team that has a bat's chance in he!! of qualifying for the Olympics.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I don't want to see anyone. She still loves putin, lives in russia and trains at CSKA. And she's not going to change any of that. And then, like Gubanova, she will tell in an interview that she is still the same russian girl.
Gubanova was saying that in Tallinn. That was a month before the war. She was not saying that in France at the Worlds.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Kazakhstan needs a lot more than just Shaidorov and a Russian girl who couldn't finish higher than 11th at their Nats this year to make the TE in Milano, and I don't think Russian ice dance has the sort of depth that will allow them to release a team that has a bat's chance in he!! of qualifying for the Olympics.
I have an impression it's Samodelkina's idea in order to have a career, KAZ just goes along. Have a feeling they got all their Olympic medals in 2014.

airgelaal

Gubanova was saying that in Tallinn. That was a month before the war. She was not saying that in France at the Worlds.
Oh really?
At the last European Championships, you said, “On the ice, I’m Georgian, but in life, I’m still the same Russian Nastya.” This duality is probably a strange sensation.

Anastasiia Gubanova:
Indeed, it’s a strange feeling. But I’ve lived my whole life in Russia, and I still live here; who else am I inside, if not Russian?

Karen-W

I have an impression it's Samodelkina's idea in order to have a career, KAZ just goes along. Have a feeling they got all their Olympic medals in 2014.
I kind of got the same impression from the article. Plus, I haven't seen any evidence of the Kazakh fed recruiting Russian skaters since the ban was implemented, nor were they really recruiting beforehand. All of their skaters seem to have legitimate family ties to the country.

MsZem

I see the sea
Then maybe we should worry about the Ukrainian minors? It is they who will be forced to compete alongside such Putin fans.
They don't have to skate with her, and I assume she won't be going on about her fondness for Putin during warmups.

Coaches and older Russian skaters should absolutely be excoriated for their support of Putin, but this is a 16-year old girl.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I kind of got the same impression from the article. Plus, I haven't seen any evidence of the Kazakh fed recruiting Russian skaters since the ban was implemented, nor were they really recruiting beforehand. All of their skaters seem to have legitimate family ties to the country.
Why would they? Denis Ten was better than any Russian male skater of his times, Tursynbaeva was quite awesome and Shaidorov's main problem is the lack of funding, not lack of talent.

airgelaal

They don't have to skate with her, and I assume she won't be going on about her fondness for Putin during warmups.

Coaches and older Russian skaters should absolutely be excoriated for their support of Putin, but this is a 16-year old girl.
And why do you think that it will be easy for Ukrainian children to be in the same room with her? Moreover, she is not a child. She can already vote, including voting for putin.
It amazes me that instead of demanding an explanation from her, a huge number of international fans rejoice at such a flag change.
This war will never end as long as these excuses continue.

Karen-W

And why do you think that it will be easy for Ukrainian children to be in the same room with her? Moreover, she is not a child. She can already vote, including voting for putin.
It amazes me that instead of demanding an explanation from her, a huge number of international fans rejoice at such a flag change.
I didn't know the voting age in Russia was 16. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that many other US posters didn't either, so we're all viewing this through a slightly different lens in thinking she's still a couple years away from being legally considered an adult. She's very young and living in a country with a tremendous amount of propaganda being shoved down the population's throats day and night, and, as far as I can tell by her ISU biography, has competed internationally just 3 times, all when she was 14 years old (two JGPs and the Denis Ten Memorial in fall 2021). I'm not sure any of us are willing to condemn her for a screenshot of her laptop.

Would it be nice if she publicly condemned the war? Absolutely. Will she? Probably not. Should the ISU carefully consider whether or not it issues a certificate of clearance for her to represent Kazakhstan if and when she receives her release from the RFSF? Absolutely. Perhaps that's something fans should be advocating for - that whatever denunciation of the war is required for "neutral" Russian & Belarusian athletes to be allowed to compete should also be required of former Russian & Belarusian athletes who are switching countries.

Beyond all that, I'm not sure anyone here has expressed any sort of rejoicing at the flag change. I don't really follow skating Twitter closely enough to know if there's been some huge outpouring of joy at this either, but regardless, I'd say the sentiment, at least here, has been one of "well, if that's what she wants, okay then..."

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think most skating fans know there is little we can do to change these skaters bending the rules in their favor. I don't think that's the same as open support. Certainly it's good to bring attention to their support of the war, but in the end that's basically all we can do. Idk these skaters fall into the category of "just there" for me.

MsZem

I see the sea
She's 16. I realize the age of consent in Russia is low, but I don't believe she can vote? Either way, 16 years old is not an adult in any way - and as Karen wrote, she's been bombarded with propaganda all her life.

I think the adults in her life have plenty to answer for.

I didn't know the voting age in Russia was 16. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that many other US posters didn't either, so we're all viewing this through a slightly different lens in thinking she's still a couple years away from being legally considered an adult. She's very young and living in a country with a tremendous amount of propaganda being shoved down the population's throats day and night, and, as far as I can tell by her ISU biography, has competed internationally just 3 times, all when she was 14 years old (two JGPs and the Denis Ten Memorial in fall 2021). I'm not sure any of us are willing to condemn her for a screenshot of her laptop.
Is it?

I've seen how young people's minds can be poisoned by extremists here in Israel, and I'm not at all surprised to see the same elsewhere. I hope that more exposure to people outside Russia will do Samodelkina good.

Hedwig

Antique member
I save my outrage for the time when Russia and Belrussia are let back in competition. I dont like Gubanova nor her competing but I understand that there is little to be done and not much gained by it. It is not as if Russia is really rejoicing if they win anything apart from some particular fans. I can live with that and will continue to ignore their skating. To demand more is just not worth it IMO. I rather fight on the front to keep Russia out of all competitions.

airgelaal

This is what I was talking about. There is an excuse for everyone. That is why there is no isolation of russia. On the contrary, they are no less victims than the Ukrainians. she's only 16 and she's been fed propaganda all her life. Let's take pity on her. The same 16-year-olds go to Ukraine to kill. Shall we pity them too?
Foreign skaters continue to train in russia without any problems, russians continue to arrange master classes or training camps around the world. And no one cares if these russians support the war. Here is sport, and sport is out of politics.
I wonder if she had praised Larry Nassar or made racist remarks, would that have been ignored too? I strongly doubt it. And I doubt that she would have found so many defenders.
It is simply amazing that I, who listens to sirens daily and regularly hears explosions, are made to feel sorry for the russians, who live their wonderful, prosperous life. I can only wish her to sit in a shelter with the sounds of explosions, and not compete in international competitions. And I don't care that she's only 16.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is what I was talking about. There is an excuse for everyone. That is why there is no isolation of russia. On the contrary, they are no less victims than the Ukrainians. she's only 16 and she's been fed propaganda all her life. Let's take pity on her. The same 16-year-olds go to Ukraine to kill. Shall we pity them too?
The existence of child soldiers anywhere is a horrible thing.

I don't think anyone here expressed great empathy for Samodelkina, but I stand by what I wrote: she's a minor, and the responsibility for her upbringing lies with the adults in her life.

Lara111

There is nothing wrong with being Russian. A lot of Russians do not support current policies of the Russian government but remain Russians and love their country. There is nothing wrong with it.

Vagabond

Samodelkina is 16. The voting age in Russia (as if Russia were a true democracy :rolleyes: ) is 18.

I understand the grumbling about the Federation change, but unless someone has a fair rule to offer, the choice to allow her to skate should be up to the Kazakhstani Federation.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Gubanova switched countries before the war, due to the tried and true reason of not being able to get by the roadblock in Russia. I have less problem with that than with skaters like Davis/Smolkin who clearly are finding a way around the ban. And who are adults unlike the newest escapee.

It would be great if we could achieve a total ban on Russian training camps and coaches profiting outside Russia. As it is, the number one objective is keeping the Russian skaters and their flag and their bragging out of any international competition. At this rate, I hope they are out of the 2026 Olys at the very least. In a couple years they will be so isolated from the sport that the comeback trail will be long and hard.

happycamper2554

Gubanova switched countries before the war, due to the tried and true reason of not being able to get by the roadblock in Russia. I have less problem with that than with skaters like Davis/Smolkin who clearly are finding a way around the ban. And who are adults unlike the newest escapee.

It would be great if we could achieve a total ban on Russian training camps and coaches profiting outside Russia. As it is, the number one objective is keeping the Russian skaters and their flag and their bragging out of any international competition. At this rate, I hope they are out of the 2026 Olys at the very least. In a couple years they will be so isolated from the sport that the comeback trail will be long and hard.
They are coming back as soon as Valieva gets provisionally suspended in September.

happycamper2554

So you expect the war to be all wrapped up by September?
You think they are waiting for the war. Russian "nuetral athletes" have returned in many sports. The only reason they are not back in skating is they don't want to deal with Valieva and the controversy of her still being allowed to skate. I expect her to be suspended by CAS pending appeal and that will wrap everything up. the IOC and and the higher ups doesn't care about the war.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Perhaps they don't, but the official reason they gave is the war, so if they plan on changing that now, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork.

happycamper2554

Perhaps they don't, but the official reason they gave is the war, so if they plan on changing that now, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork.
The IOC reversed their policy. No need to give another reason. Gymnastics just announced a similar reversal.

Karen-W

The Valieva hearing is at the end of September, so I would be surprised if we get a decision before the end of October on that. I don't expect the ISU Council to lift the ban until after that decision comes down and even then, I think they'll wait until their regularly scheduled ISU Council meeting in December. Really, the earliest I think we'll see any Russians in competition is Euros 2024 - and I'm guessing they won't have that warm of a welcome from the crowd in Kaunas.

Samurina

The Valieva hearing is at the end of September, so I would be surprised if we get a decision before the end of October on that. I don't expect the ISU Council to lift the ban until after that decision comes down and even then, I think they'll wait until their regularly scheduled ISU Council meeting in December. Really, the earliest I think we'll see any Russians in competition is Euros 2024 - and I'm guessing they won't have that warm of a welcome from the crowd in Kaunas.
I hate the war i have many russian friends and its been difficult on them personally/financially who are such good ppl and don't deserve the isolation they are receiving but on the other hand what russia is doing to ukraine is abominable and is comprable to Nazi Germany. I wish there was a solution that could make all sides happy, but unfortunately, i don't think that will happen. However, i hope that russian athletes (ones who aren't in military nor support the war, especially juniors i mean they are under 18) can participate again

airgelaal

The existence of child soldiers anywhere is a horrible thing.

I don't think anyone here expressed great empathy for Samodelkina, but I stand by what I wrote: she's a minor, and the responsibility for her upbringing lies with the adults in her life.
And how long will we let her be a fan of putin? Under 18? Until 20? Until 30? And what will happen next? Does she realize her mistakes and apologize? Parents are only glad for such a wonderful tolerant world, which continues to look for excuses for them.

There is nothing wrong with being Russian. A lot of Russians do not support current policies of the Russian government but remain Russians and love their country. There is nothing wrong with it.
There is nothing wrong with being russian if you are sitting in russia. As soon as the russian goes beyond the borders of rRussia, at best, he begins to carry his imperial propaganda. And the russian can bring death and destruction with him. So russians should stay at home until they understand what's wrong with being russian.
Nastya did not say that she was against the war. So she is a simple russian girl who supports her. And don't tell me about "a lot of russians". Leave these tales to your conscience.

Evgeniafan

And Davis/Smoklin were already at the Olympics and no Olympian would ever be given the release from Russia. All the skaters that want to go to another country had no options in Russia.
Gubanova and Kurakova had no backing in Russia.

Vagabond

And Davis/Smoklin were already at the Olympics and no Olympian would ever be given the release from Russia.
According to Pravda, they have already gotten their release.

Yeah, it's Pravda, but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information