RPDR - All Stars 3

Allen

Glad to be back!
No it wasn't. Her Arianna ;) Grande was awful and not a patch on her Britney Spears.
I agree. It was weird. She had obviously done research and had the look right. However, she was obviously in her head because I felt it did not connect at all and was really not funny despite having the right information to work with unlike many who seem to have done zero research on their character.

FiveRinger

Once again, Shangela and Ben were the standouts. I think that people are running out of ideas as far as who to play the game as. Paul Linde was hysterical on Hollywood Squares. I was a kid when it came on, so I remember who he was. You can check clips out on YouTube. For those who don't know who Jenifer Lewis is, the best advice I can give is to see if you can catch her movie "Jackie's Back." It's an older Robert Townsend movie and she was hysterical in it. Or, if that's too hard, I think she might best be remembered as one of Aunt Viv's sisters on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I expect there to be drama. After all, these are queens on RPDR. And I expect there to be some game play and some mind trickery. But there is a such thing as just being vicious. Thorgy and Milk were both sore losers, and they were not honest with us (or themselves) about their performances on All-Stars. As far as I'm concerned, they both deserved to be eliminated. It has nothing to do with feeling one way or another about someone.

berthesghost

There is no excuse for anyone to run out of ideas. They haven’t even begun to tap the possibilities. It’s more about missteps. Two queens have done Crawford already despite the fact that she is neither funny nor easy to mimic, yet no one’s done Davis. Sometime I recall a Alex mapa joke about how he like to imagine all movies as if Bette is in them and then does steel magnolias in her voice “drink your juice Shelby” with the cigaret arm wave. :lol:
And as has been proven you don’t even need to do real people as alisa really did day Dunaway in mommie dearest not Crawford, and jiggly wasn’t really Monique but the mother character she played in precious.

Allen

Glad to be back!
There is no excuse for anyone to run out of ideas. They haven’t even begun to tap the possibilities. It’s more about missteps. Two queens have done Crawford already despite the fact that she is neither funny nor easy to mimic, yet no one’s done Davis.

Jinkx did Bette Davis on the tour's version of Snatch Game and it was good. I wonder if other queens knew that and didn't want to follow after her.

berthesghost

I like that they mix up the challenges as that’s how you get former challenge winners in the bottom 2.

But how do you ask a girl to sew your dress, win a sewing challenge, and then use your win to auf the girl who help you. Ohhh, gurl there’s some shade up in here!

I know that Bebe came back because she felt her s1 win was overshadowed, but she isn’t doing herself any favors here imho. She’s been the epitome of safe in the challenges and showing a not so nice side in the workroom.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think it comes back to the basic question - how can you go on Drag Race and not be able to sew.

At least Shangela said she had gone and done some classes. Although trying to sew sequins even as a beginner is a tough challenge.

Willin

@Aussie Willy I wonder if it has anything to do with the sewing machines in use. The ones they showed Shangela using are different from the ones most people I know use. I think also fabrics was a big issue - I don't think many basic sewing classes are good at teaching fabric selection, patterning, or fastenings as much as they just teach how to use a sewing machine and read patterns.

I saw Shangela's difficulty as one of not knowing how to pattern or select fabrics. Who knows if they had a variety of fastenings - I think she could've salvaged that original piece with a zipper or something.

But still - at least learn how to use a sewing machine. Aja certainly did. I didn't like her look, but it was definitely well done considering how little time she had to do it. Trixie's also required impressive patterning skills, so props to her.

Aussie Willy

I think they would probably be more leaning towards an industrial type machine which even as an experienced sewer I would have trouble figuring out.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I think they would probably be more leaning towards an industrial type machine which even as an experienced sewer I would have trouble figuring out.
My SIL has an industrial machine and a serger. I cannot thread either, and I’ve been sewing for 50+ years. I guess the queens probably needed to visit a design school to get any experience.

Aceon6

I had to fast forward through the first 20 minutes of tonight’s returning queens show. Sorry, Ru, using that much show for queens harping on each other isn’t entertaining. On to the challenge!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Wth was Ben De La Creme thinking?? :revenge: Way to hand Shangela $100,000...

Ben’s probably going to get the most press out of the season and the most opportunities anyways. I don’t get the decision but a lot of the stuff this season seems planned. Just like with Rupaul allowing both ladies two weeks ago to eliminate the contestant of their choice (surely production told her they picked the same girl), she had to have been clued in on the white out incident before the lipstick was revealed.

If I had to guess, the narrative this season seems to be in Trixie’s favor with her slow start and now starting to build with each week.

And maybe just conincidental, but Funko released three of their Pop Vinyls at the beginning of the year in a new Drag Queen line- Rupaul, Alaska, and Trixie.

Willin

Based on what Ben said at her live watch party, it sounds like she really was sick of eliminating other people, and that she might have stayed if she wasn't the one doing the eliminating. She's also said that she had little interest in actually winning. Besides, as @Tony Wheeler said, she came out of this looking like a champ.

I'd totally agree that this season seems more staged than normal. Like Trixie posting Thorgy's note at Shangela's station? That seemed totally staged. Watching that it seemed more like the producers posted the note and then told Trixie to take the blame. It's also totally bizarre how the judges are propping Bebe up. She's a good queen, but she's been clearly outshined in challenges she's won, including this week. The instances you mentioned as well seem rather staged. I wonder if the girls are so friendly with each other that there's just no drama unless they manufacture it.

It seems like the ones doing the best are those that have the least invested in the competition (Ben) and those that know how to play the reality TV game well (Shangela).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I actually thought that Bebe won the lip sync, and I feel that Rupaul on any other day would've gone wild for any queen that took her wig off-- mind you, especially her daughter Bebe that we are talking about. But I found it interesting in that moment, Rupaul looked almost annoyed and gave a 'Seen that a million times' look, and producers even threw in Aja commeting that gimmick is old. That was the producer/Ru justification to the audience for giving Ben the win, IMO, and in turn they knew Ben's decision would be much more buzzworthy than whoever Bebe picked.

If Ben really wanted to avoid eliminating people, she could've surely found a way to lose the lip sync.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

I found it disappointing that they spent so much time on the eliminated queens asking why they were eliminated. It was almost like time filling. Disappointed that Ben stood down. I would have like her to stay in because I am sure she would have won.

I would have brought Aja back.

Aceon6

For me, the rest of the season won’t be as entertaining without Dela. I always looked forward to her characters. I agree that the season seems to be swaying Trixie’s way. All the cumulative shade seems a set up for a huge “I was just playing the game, and with Ben out, the runway is open” kind of thing. I think we’ll be able to tell with the next few challenges. If there’s a lot of sewing, that’ll be a sign. Add me to the list of those who don’t get Bebe.

berthesghost

I find the most staged thing is that they are basically following s2 format but everyone is acting shocked and surprised that the eliminated queens are coming back. Really queen? You never saw an episode of the show you agreed to be on? :lol:

I agree with what you all have said but in addition I’m also a bit mad at Ben because she brought Morgan back. Morgan being gone ASAP was one of the best things about this season :p
No tea no shade but bringing the eliminated queens back only reminded me how annoying most of them were before they were aufed. Thorgy and milk need to either totally regroup or realize reality tv is not for them. It’s almost as bad as phiphi’s redemption effort that somehow made her look even worse.

antmanb

Agree that the whole thing feels far too staged. And I don't buy that Ben was tired of eliminating the queens - aside from his step down, he only outright won the first lip synch and sent someone home, and then was joint and chose the same queen so it was hardly all coming down to him. Everyone crew producers and Ru will have known he was using whiting out his own name onto the lip stick.

This twitter link had me :rofl: not least because it's edited as well as the show is: https://twitter.com/trixchi_/status/969653140701184000?s=12

FiveRinger

I, for one, will be really disappointed if Trixie wins. I think that Shangela is the next obvious choice.

Bebe left a bad taste in my mouth after not admitting that Aja made her dress. That, and her performances, despite a win, have not impressed me. Trixie has had a number of sub-par performances. Kennedy has the worst track record, theoretically, but it's not that far off of Trixie's. Shangela has been the most consistent of the remaining queens. And because Morgan was already eliminated once, and frankly, I'm not a fan of her attitude, I won't cry if she's eliminated a second time. I agree, Dela leaving is a disappointment, but I totally understand. I'm sure winning week after week eventually loses its lustre.

topaz

I am rooting for Trixie or Shangela to win. However, Trixie has been extremely strong this season. Her runway looks have been excellent. Trixie has been the most consistent and slightly better than Shangela this season in my opinion. Trixie has to be one of the most successful queen in dragrace herstory. Shangela is successful too but Trixie's shows on WOW and Viceland is incredible.

I was surprised about Ben's decision but she's a fierce ass queen and her career will be fine.

FiveRinger

I am for Trixie. I watch her show with Katya which is really funny and she was once bold enough to try Vegemite.

I never appreciated Trixie's look until she made over James St James. Then I realised how clever it was and unique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXC54CfEpKM
Yes, I saw that makeover. You can't help but be impressed with it. And I do enjoy her show with Katya. But her performance on All-Stars has been bested by other folks making it hard for me to say should be the winner. Frankly, she would have been eliminated after Snatch Game is Chi Chi hadn't been even more abysmal.

Aceon6

Well, the winners and the aufing just confirm what we already knew. The biggest question is who will Ru anoint with 3rd place.

FiveRinger

Well, the winners and the aufing just confirm what we already knew. The biggest question is who will Ru anoint with 3rd place.
Exactly....there's no question about who the top two places should be. I almost don't even care about third.

I really liked Trixie's outfit and Shangela's was very funny.
Shangela was hysterical.....how many lycra jumpsuits does Trixie own? Have we seen them all yet?

berthesghost

I would have aufed Bebe. Morgan and Kennedy are no threats but ru’s softspot for Bebe despite what we see as viewers is a threat. Shangela wasn’t being very Khalise imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information