Roof windows that transform into balconies!

Spun Silver

I cant tell what she is stepping ON. If the glass, those windows would get dirty very fast.

It's a small step in the direction of my own architectural fantasy, the indoor-outdoor building where the walls of the house can rotate to be outdoors in the summertime. I am not sure what scale or type of locale to implement it in, but I hereby donate the idea to @rockerskating (Jackie Wong), should he ever be inspired to return to architecture. :)

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I cant tell what she is stepping ON. If the glass, those windows would get dirty very fast.
She's still stepping onto her normal attic-room floor, the roof section/panel folds out in half; the lower part folds out upright like a lower glass wall, and the upper part folds out overhead. At no point is she stepping on the glass.

Spun Silver

She's still stepping onto her normal attic-room floor, the roof section/panel folds out in half; the lower part folds out upright like a lower glass wall, and the upper part folds out overhead. At no point is she stepping on the glass.
That's what I thought it looked like, but since that to me is not a real balcony, just a big window, I wondered if she was actually stepping on glass. She doesn't go outside her apartment. It would be cooler if the floor slid out and the windows extended to fit it. JMO. :)

skatingguy

decently
I have to wonder where one could use that type of window. Where I live the insects would be streaming inside, and you wouldn't open it for six months because of the cold and weather.

Japanfan

I have to wonder where one could use that type of window. Where I live the insects would be streaming inside, and you wouldn't open it for six months because of the cold and weather.

You could use it here in Vancouver BC. It doesn't get that cold in the winter, and insects don't stream inside in the summer (barring ants, which come in from the ground).

The concept would actually work very well here, given that space is at a premium.

skatingguy

decently
You could use it here in Vancouver BC. It doesn't get that cold in the winter, and insects don't stream inside in the summer (barring ants, which come in from the ground).

The concept would actually work very well here, given that space is at a premium.
Okay I knew about the weather, but you don't insects either? No mosquitos, blackflies, moths, wasps, and not to mention the spiders (yes I know they are not insects)?
I really got to move to Vancouver. :D

Japanfan

Okay I knew about the weather, but you don't insects either? No mosquitos, blackflies, moths, wasps, and not to mention the spiders (yes I know they are not insects)?
I really got to move to Vancouver. :D

No mosquitoes or blackflies (or perhaps few mosquitoes to be more accurate) which I'm very familiar with as one who grew up in the Canadian North and spent time on the prairies (Manitoba). When I've got back to Manitoba for holidays in the summer I've found having to have screens on all doors and even on balconies to be really restricting. We keep our windows and doors open sans screens much of the time, and all year long.

We do have moths and wasps, though not too many - we've actually got a bees nest in a tree in the backyard, so maybe next summer will be different if we don't get rid of it.

And spiders, we have - but again not too many.

The biggest insect problem we have is with ants, as there are anthills in our back yard.

There are reasons why it costs Canadians so bloody much to live here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information