Rock the Rink 2019 (Virtue/Moir, Chan, Stojko, Osmond, Kostner, Abbott)

carriecmu0503

I guess Osmond is sitting out next season as well, given that she'd need to skate in the Grand Prix to be named to international championships. Weaver/Poje staying eligible for next season looks like. Sad about Duhamel and Radford not being able to make it work.

The Shibs haven't shown up on any eligible or show list for the fall, right?

There is absolutely no requirement to skate in the Grand Prix in order to be named to international championships. Many skaters have skipped the Grand Prix and gone on to compete at four continents, Europeans, worlds, etc.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
The Thank You Tour did great if I remember correctly, they sold at least 80% of the tickets, sold-out multiple venues, sold out M&G passes and also had great sells on the merchandise they offered.
Their business model is to go to smaller venues (for the most part) but in more cities compared to SOI. It's great for skating popularity and it also makes sense that in smaller cities the audience will want to enjoy shows they don't usually get since a lot of them can't attend the SOI shows in the bigger cities. All in all, I think their business model is both successful and good for making skating more reachable for the broader audience.

It reminds me of when the smaller Skate the Nation tour used to be produced. It was basically Stars on Ice Light and went to smaller cities. Often it was much the same cast, same costumes, choreography, etc. It used to do really well!

skatfan

There is absolutely no requirement to skate in the Grand Prix in order to be named to international championships. Many skaters have skipped the Grand Prix and gone on to compete at four continents, Europeans, worlds, etc.

As you'll see if you had kept reading the thread, it was a misunderstanding about being on the National Team. Not competing in the GP would limit Weaver/Poje from getting funding from Skate Canada. ;)

luckiest1

The Italians are no longer listed on the website. I hope they add more skaters before May 3. Let’s be honest though - Patrick, Elvis, Scott and Tessa, I’m happy. Everything else is just a bonus.

nyrak

It reminds me of when the smaller Skate the Nation tour used to be produced. It was basically Stars on Ice Light and went to smaller cities. Often it was much the same cast, same costumes, choreography, etc. It used to do really well!

That was my very first skating show (other than Ice Capades) in 1994, Kurt Browning even came to Eaton's to sign autographs. I've been hooked ever since :)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
As you'll see if you had kept reading the thread, it was a misunderstanding about being on the National Team. Not competing in the GP would limit Weaver/Poje from getting funding from Skate Canada. ;)
Skaters can't get funding both from Skate Canada for being on the National Team and be carded through the Sport Canada Athlete Assistance Program. The criteria for the 2019-2020 season won't be published until the summer, but W/P should both get carded.

Current athletes receiving funding from the Sport Canada Athlete Assistance Program are ineligible to receive the High Performance Grant. If awarded in different disciplines, the skater will receive both, or for the discipline which they are not receiving any Sport Canada Athlete Assistance Program funding.

https://skatecanada.ca/national-team/skate-canada-high-performance-grants/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information