Rinks part of multipurpose facilities

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Just doing some research about rinks and if they are part of other multipurpose facilities. So does anyone here know of rinks that operate in conjunction with things like gyms, swimming pools, sporting courts, etc?

Looking for links to websites and information.

Thanks

purple skates

Shadow Dancing

I skated there years ago when I was up north at a conference and preparing for a test. You could smell the chlorine walking in, which was a weird experience while going to a rink. :lol:

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

Just doing some research about rinks and if they are part of other multipurpose facilities. So does anyone here know of rinks that operate in conjunction with things like gyms, swimming pools, sporting courts, etc?

Looking for links to websites and information.

Thanks
Two in CT. Champions Skating Center in Cromwell has a gym and pool; Chelsea Piers in Stamford has a gym, pool, indoor soccer and tennis courts, if I recall correctly. Possibly more.

antmanb

My rink is currently closed for refurbishment but is in a council run complex that has a gym, five a side football pitches, squash courts. The old ice rink was turned into an indoor skate park too.

gkelly

A couple I know in my area:

Also quite a number of rink facilities have gyms that are used by members of the public who do not ever make use of the ice.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A lot of rinks in Canada are part of community centres that also include pools, gyms, meeting rooms, etc. These are run by the city/municipality/region. For privately run facilities, some are just rinks, while others have multiple facilities. Usually not pools, but gyms, indoor soccer turf, and that sort of thing. Plus cafes/bars to go to afterwards!

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Sky Rink in NYC is part of the larger Chelsea Piers facility, which offers all sorts of stuff, from golf to gymnastics to trapeze.

Sport-O-Rama in NY State is in a facility that has a gym and pool. https://sportorama.com But I think it's run separately.

Orm Irian

Maybe not quite the same thing, but the rink at Alexandra Palace is part of a complex that includes a skate park and a treetop adventure trail, run by a charity.

And it's a private facility, but TCC has a gym, a cricket oval, tennis courts, croquet and lawn bowling grounds, squash courts etc.

skatak

Quite common in France to find rinks close to swimming pools : you cool one by heating the other.
If I remember correctly, in Nice the two are separated by windows ^^. I you sit in the upper level at the rink, after half a turn on yourself you see people swimming.

In Boulogne Billancourt, the solarium of the swimming pool is just outside the rink, so while in the rink you can see children in swimsuit trying to see through the windows to check what's going on in the rink.

For many rinks around Paris, the swimming pool is the next building after the rink. Some rinks include rooms used for dancing, meeting, fencing, ...

In Poitiers, the pool is on the other side of the road from the rink.

In Megève the rink is in a sport complex.

In Méribel, the combo is rink+swimming pool+bowling+other activities like indoor climbing, etc.

So yes, quite usual to find pools and rinks together, at least.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Maybe not of interest, but there are also some rinks that are part of public and private schools in the US. Typically, the rinks are built with donated funds, not taxpayer funds.

Susan1

"When people think of recreation in Kettering, they think first of the Kettering Recreation Complex. Located at 2900 Glengarry Drive, this spectacular 152,000-square-foot facility is home to the Charles I. Lathrem Senior Center, the Kettering Ice Arena, a lap pool and spa, a multipurpose gymnasium, a walk/run track, a nursery, aerobics and fitness rooms, meeting rooms and more."

mocha-ice

My rink (3 ice sheets) is part of the community civic centre. It also includes the library, 2 pools (50m and 25m pool for adapted classes), gym, small theatre, arts centre and gallery and the Seniors Club. And right now a vaccination centre as well.

There isn’t a dedicated website for the civic centre though…

Sylvia

TBD
First facility that came to my mind (in The Hague NED):

Bournekraatzfan

The one I regularly skated at before YKW is a city-run recreation centre: https://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/recreation/facilities/arenas/invista

It has meeting rooms, a canteen, a hockey shop with skate sharpening, and four large ice pads. The ”mini rink” is a small polymer rink on the upper floor for hockey players, afaik. I used to use the gym and fitness studio (yoga) for off-ice training, too. I heard they were originally planning on including an outdoor swimming pool, but they didn’t have the budget for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information